Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Fact: Jeremiah Tillmon was LOI'ed to Illinois.

Fact:  Torrence Watson was verbaled to Ohio State.

Fact: Michael Porter Jr.was LOI'ed to Washington.

Fact: Mizzou hired Martin.

Fact: Martin overpaid/bought Porter Sr.

Fact: Tillmon decomitted and signed with Martin/Mizzou.

Fact: Porter Jr. decomitted and signed with Martin/Mizzou.

Fact:  Watson de-verbaled and signed/commited to Martin/Mizzou.

Conclusion:  I won't paint any more ofthe picture, you'll just rationalize it away in your street-agent-wannabe-way anyway.

I'm not seeing the bad or unethical part, all guys who needed releases got them. And there was a bidding war for Porter Sr, so yes you had to overpay. Everything was within the rules. And I think you left out that Jontay Porter recommitted and signed with Mizzou. I would see it the same way if the guy signed with SLU. If SLU would've hired Justin Tatum and signed Jayson Tatum I would've applauded and there would've been nothing slimy or unethical about it. You take advantage of any recruiting advantage that you legally can.

Just now, STL Hoops Insider said:

Also finding a JUCO transfer the caliber of a guy like Alize Johnson could the perfect complement to the roster, you don't need big freshman classes every year. I believe that juco would be in the same class as Bishop, Johnson, Graves, and Santos.

And Welmer.  So the class already has five players to be replaced in 2020.  You're talking about adding a sixth.  That doesn't balance the classes.  Juco is not a viable option for SLU, just in general.

18 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Fact: Jeremiah Tillmon was LOI'ed to Illinois.

Fact:  Torrence Watson was verbaled to Ohio State.

Fact: Michael Porter Jr.was LOI'ed to Washington.

Fact: Mizzou hired Martin.

Fact: Martin overpaid/bought Porter Sr.

Fact: Tillmon decomitted and signed with Martin/Mizzou.

Fact: Porter Jr. decomitted and signed with Martin/Mizzou.

Fact:  Watson de-verbaled and signed/commited to Martin/Mizzou.

Conclusion:  I won't paint any more ofthe picture, you'll just rationalize it away in your street-agent-wannabe-way anyway.

Fact: The coach who signed Tilmon at Illinois was fired, allowing Tilmon to be granted his release which had nothing to do with Cuonzo Martin.

Fact: Cuonzo Martin is from the same hometown as Jeremiah Tilmon and Martin's sister is the principal at Tilmon's HS and several other relatives of Martin are friends of the Tilmon family, making it not at all surprising that Tilmon would choose to go to Mizzou.

Fact:  Torrence Watson committed to Ohio State well after Cuonzo Martin was hired.

Fact: The coach who signed Michael Porter, JR at Washington was fired, allowing Porter JR to be granted his release which had nothing to do with Cuonzo Martin.

Fact:  Even before Romar was fired at Washington, Porter, JR's aunt who happens to be the Mizzou women's basketball head coach and the former boss of Michael Porter, SR, had let MIzzou AD Jim Sterk know that the Porters had interest in moving back to Columbia where they had resided for six years and where the two oldest daughters were members of the Mizzou women's team. 

Virtually certain fact: Almost any coach who would have been hired by Mizzou would have gladly hired Porter, SR and set of the chain reaction that led to both Michael, JR and Jontay Porter coming to Mizzou with their father and where most of their friends lived.

Fact: In what universe did Martin and Mizzou overpay for the assitant coach who had a major role in two 5-star recruits, including the #1 or #2 recruit in the country? Mizzou has already sold far more than enough new tickets to pay Porter, SR for the next ten years. Overpay??

Fact: Illinois paid  Jamal Walker almost as much as  Mizzou is paying Porter, SR. I know which school I think overpaid.

Fact: Your last statement is dripping waith irony after your distorted rationalization. 

2 minutes ago, College Basketball Fan said:

Fact: The coach who signed Tilmon at Illinois was fired, allowing Tilmon to be granted his release which had nothing to do with Cuonzo Martin.

Fact: Cuonzo Martin is from the same hometown as Jeremiah Tilmon and Martin's sister is the principal at Tilmon's HS and several other relatives of Martin are friends of the Tilmon family, making it not at all surprising that Tilmon would choose to go to Mizzou.

Fact:  Torrence Watson committed to Ohio State well after Cuonzo Martin was hired.

Fact: The coach who signed Michael Porter, JR at Washington was fired, allowing Porter JR to be granted his release which had nothing to do with Cuonzo Martin.

Fact:  Even before Romar was fired at Washington, Porter, JR's aunt who happens to be the Mizzou women's basketball head coach and the former boss of Michael Porter, SR, had let MIzzou AD Jim Sterk know that the Porters had interest in moving back to Columbia where they had resided for six years and where the two oldest daughters were members of the Mizzou women's team. 

Virtually certain fact: Almost any coach who would have been hired by Mizzou would have gladly hired Porter, SR and set of the chain reaction that led to both Michael, JR and Jontay Porter coming to Mizzou with their father and where most of their friends lived.

Fact: In what universe did Martin and Mizzou overpay for the assitant coach who had a major role in two 5-star recruits, including the #1 or #2 recruit in the country? Mizzou has already sold far more than enough new tickets to pay Porter, SR for the next ten years. Overpay??

Fact: Illinois paid  Jamal Walker almost as much as  Mizzou is paying Porter, SR. I know which school I think overpaid.

Fact: Your last statement is dripping waith irony after your distorted rationalization. 

Fact troll, we all could make more money if we did not care how we made it. 

Fact lying is not against the law.

Fact being immoral is against the law.

Fact coach Martin is building a team of decommits who else is doing that.

Fact I am glad coach Ford is not building a team like that.

Please go back to tigerboard and convince yourselves this is great because it is legal.

Everyone can continue to talk about Mizzou and Martin, whatever. People will do that. I think Watson genuinely wanted to play close to home, and not for nefarious reasons. You win some recruitments, you lose some.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/whitfield-s-watson-commits-to-mizzou/article_bce94856-7f93-5582-bf02-9b8206814467.html

Watson also considered SLU after decommiting from Ohio State, he said.

"He really had great rapport with (SLU coach) Travis Ford and (assistant) Corey Tate and those guys have been classy throughout the entire process," Potsou said.

7 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Fact troll, we all could make more money if we did not care how we made it. 

Fact lying is not against the law.

Fact being immoral is against the law.

Fact coach Martin is building a team of decommits who else is doing that.

Fact I am glad coach Ford is not building a team like that.

Please go back to tigerboard and convince yourselves this is great because it is legal.

No wonder you pointed out that lying is not against the law with your comment you are glad Ford isn't building a team of decommits!  That's a classic!  Itay guess Ford is happy he didn't get Michael Jr, Jontay, or Tilmon! You didn't think that one out very well. You also haven't identified a single thing that Martin has done recruiting wise that is immoral, other than in a few butt hurt minds.

Btw, a couple questions. First, what did I say that isn't true? Second, what is wrong with recruiting a decommit? Have a good night!

Last post, I promise, and I'm out of here:

"There's no place like home first and foremost," Watson said Friday, an hour after leaving Columbia where he visited with Cuonzo Martin and MU's staff.

St. Louis is a Mizzou town. Mizzou is home. 

16 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

Last post, I promise, and I'm out of here:

"There's no place like home first and foremost," Watson said Friday, an hour after leaving Columbia where he visited with Cuonzo Martin and MU's staff.

St. Louis is a Mizzou town. Mizzou is home. 

As the great Blake Clark said in Joe Dirt, Home is where you make it.  I prefer to lean to the schools that when they improve, it actually improves the city of St. Louis so I would never consider Mizzou part of St. Louis or "St. Louis a Mizzou town".  Mizzou is a lot of KC and they hate St. Louis.  I know more Missouri State kids now a days than Mizzou too.  I will stick with Wash U and SLU as the schools I consider St. Louis.  

45 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Paging a mod to clean this up?

What do you want us to do?  Aren't Watson and Gordon related to 2018 recruiting? Isn't it better to be recruiting kids for whom there's high-level competition?  And where there's high-level competition, things get rather, um, spirited.

12 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

So if it will balance itself out, why do you recommend getting a juco to balance classes?  Are you trying to contradict yourself?

You won't have too many in a class, someone will be the odd man out and likely move on. Not encouraging that or speculating, i just think with al the young players from the 17 and 18 classes, it would be nice to add an instant impact juco vs another freshman. 

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

He is not half the man Norm Stewart was.

You're entitled to your opinion and that's all it is.  I'm pretty sure Norm Stewart loves Cuonzo Martin and what he's doing at Mizzou.  In fact they share a lot of similarities, both tough as nails, both defensive minded, both native Missourians, and both cancer survivors.