Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

A snake?  He's done nothing wrong. How dare you!  Flipping unsigned players is an art and is not immoral or illegal in anyway. You don't have to like it, but there's nothing wrong with it. Just hope it's not a SLU player. It's called a recruiting battle for a reason.  

I believe he's implying that the Mizzou staff began testing the waters before Watson decommitted.  Also, while trying to "flip" a committed player may not be illegal, it most certainly is immoral — a direct violation of the Commandment (paraphrasing): "You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor."

4 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I believe he's implying that the Mizzou staff began testing the waters before Watson decommitted.  Also, while trying to "flip" a committed player may not be illegal, it most certainly is immoral — a direct violation of the Commandment (paraphrasing): "You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor."

+1

in football, flipping is common practice and really has to be done to be successful. 

In college basketball its more infrequent as there used to be an unwritten rule by many coaches to back off once an oral commitment was given. The more coaches like Mr. Integrity the more that old rule goes out the door. Not illegal but definitely a shame.

6 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

What is the basis for the accusation though?  

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It just seems to me that some people are trying create a narrative with Gordon that their is no actual proof to back up.  You create uncertainty with Gordon then you put questions in the minds of players that SLU and Mizzou are directly competing for.  I would guess Gordon is solid, but I expect people to keep trying to add to this narrative.

if Gordon and his girlfriend break up, then worry.

This kind of technique of creating false narratives is quite prevalent nowadays, don't you agree? The only way to deal with them is to simply ignore them. Let's analyze the current one about Gordon a bit. Sure our team will be better with Gordon in it, but are we really going to be that much worse if he decided to jump ship? Whatever happens we will have a strong team next year, perhaps not as strong as it would be with Gordon in it, but pretty strong never the less. 

From the point of view of Gordon, and I know that kids don't think this way, the mere association with characters like Martin will leave a residue of dirt on him, on the way he thinks, and on the way he acts that that will be hard to clean up later on.

One of the good things you learn in the service is that there are two basic kinds of people: good people and not good people. You associate yourself with the good ones, the ones that are solid, and leave the squirrely, opportunistic, self serving, or plainly bad ones aside. Tilmon may not realize this at this time but he made a bad mistake choosing Martin as a coach. What Martin does may not be illegal but surely it is a load of dirt, which (I do not know or want to know the guy so I cannot say for sure) most likely reflects the way he really is in every aspect of his life, and gets spread liberally over everything he touches. I hope Gordon stays with SLU and Ford, it will be better for him in the long run.

6 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

What is the basis for the accusation though?  

A continued pattern from Mr. Integrity for one. Plus statements from Mr. Integrity that he has no problem poaching players already committed to other teams leads to probable cause. 

Once I put in my sunshine law request to see Mr. Integrity's phone records I'll be able to "prove" it to you (blue font).

3 minutes ago, keyser soze said:

It's rather pathetic that too so called "fans" of both programs, God I love hearing that.. feel compelled to defend East St. Martin at every turn.  

East St. Martin is on the clock, Bill Laurie is back supporting mizzou basketball, wants a return on that investment....

Lol you are making my day.  I thank you for that.  If you would read my posts you would know i am a college basketball fan...but more importantly i am a fan of these young men who have worked hard over the years to get to this point.  I want what's best for them.  I share a different viewpoint from what i know and have heard.  If by asking for factual information to dispel what i believe to be true is "defending" someone then i guess i am at fault.  Perhaps you can spread some factual information to help me understand the accusations that have been placed on Martin.  Thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

A continued pattern from Mr. Integrity for one. Plus statements from Mr. Integrity that he has no problem poaching players already committed to other teams leads to probable cause. 

Once I put in my sunshine law request to see Mr. Integrity's phone records I'll be able to "prove" it to you (blue font).

??? ok...i will wait for that

Just now, Coach314 said:

Lol you are making my day.  I thank you for that.  If you would read my posts you would know i am a college basketball fan...but more importantly i am a fan of these young men who have worked hard over the years to get to this point.  I want what's best for them.  I share a different viewpoint from what i know and have heard.  If by asking for factual information to dispel what i believe to be true is "defending" someone then i guess i am at fault.  Perhaps you can spread some factual information to help me understand the accusations that have been placed on Martin.  Thanks in advance

I love the holier than thou attitude...

I remember a while back ford was asked about Martin being hired and how that will affect recruiting and he said that there is plenty of talent in the stl area to go around and he's fine not getting all the top guys every year. To me it seems like cuonzo is just  greedy and   afraid of slu being more relevant than mizzou and as such, he rejects this attitude Ford is fine with and wants it all for himself

Gordon is coming to SLU.  He has verbally commited, reinforced that commitment in a recent interview (and talked about his wanting to really rep Saint Louis and SLU) and it makes the most sense for him.  Mizzou goofballs stirring the pot to get a rise out of SLU.  Don't fall in the trap.

I am sure Gordon is being recruited heavily by Martin as Martin has demonstrated he likes to play in the mud.  Actually all D-1 coaches play in the mud including Ford and his staff, some are just more savvy than others.

Of course Gordon could change his mind, I just don't see it at this point.  I think it is more likely that we land Watson.

2 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Me or the people saying scumbag and attacking a man's character ?

You mean Billiken fans defending their program? Because I can guarantee you those grocery baggers from Boone county are doing the same thing, defending their program. 

Yet you're  all about the kids.... spoken like a true aau wannabe hanger on...

36 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Lol Pretty sure I just laid out the facts for you of things that have actually happened. 

10 minutes ago, keyser soze said:

You mean Billiken fans defending their program? Because I can guarantee you those grocery baggers from Boone county are doing the same thing, defending their program. 

Yet you're  all about the kids.... spoken like a true aau wannabe hanger on...

Oh ok.  It's cool to be holier than thou when defending your program.  Got it. Who was attacking SLU and what do Mizzou fans conversation have to do with this conversation?  

1. The job is recruiting is to legally acquire the best academically eligible talent. That's what he's doing.

2. I think I share a unique perspective as a former college and I have to tell you one thing you just understand about recruiting: YOU CANOOT RECRUIT A KID THAT DOES NOT WSNT TO BE RECRUITED. They are either open or not.  He's not twisting their arm or beating them into a decommitment. The kids take his calls because they are still interested.  These kids are capable of telling a coach no. 

2 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

1. The job is recruiting is to legally acquire the best academically eligible talent. That's what he's doing.

2. I think I share a unique perspective as a former college and I have to tell you one thing you just understand about recruiting: YOU CANOOT RECRUIT A KID THAT DOES NOT WSNT TO BE RECRUITED. They are either open or not.  He's not twisting their arm or beating them into a decommitment. The kids take his calls because they are still interested.  These kids are capable of telling a coach no. 

Wait I didn't know you coached. I don't think I've ever heard that. 

13 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Oh ok.  It's cool to be holier than thou when defending your program.  Got it. Who was attacking SLU and what do Mizzou fans conversation have to do with this conversation?  

That's the fun of college sports, supporting your team and trashing your rival.. but you're just about the kids... 

Just now, STL Hoops Insider said:

That's pretty naive or stupid.  Take your pick.  On one hand you have a socially shy teenager who has proven he doesn't like the limelight and on the other hand a longtime D1 college coach who specialty is chasing and recruiting.   Yet you seem to think it is no big deal for this young man to stand up to this flim flam man.   

Surely even you don't believe that.   I don't know why you are here.  You definitely aren't a Billiken fan.  Same with "coach area code".  

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Wait I didn't know you coached. I don't think I've ever heard that. 

Yep a coach AND a due respect 12 year board participant