Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

Ramey and Watson are a lot closer. They are very good friends and as mentioned Watson likes SLU a lot. Crews only hope with Ramey is that he can sell playing with his best friend. Right now I think we're the only school that has offered both although that will change.

I think both K-State and Mizzou have offered Ramey, Watson and Gordon already.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think both K-State and Mizzou have offered Ramey, Watson and Gordon already.

Correct. Here are their known offers (as shown on verbal commits):

Carte'Are Gordon: Cincinnati, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas State, Mizzou, and UNLV

Courtney Ramey: Illinois, Jacksonville State, Kansas State, Mizzou, Ole Miss, and SLU

Torrence Watson: Kansas State, Mizzou, and SLU

Who was saying Gordon still has a long way to go in terms of movement, running the floor, etc.? This latest video indicates otherwise:

Would love to land this kid. He's already ranked well nationally and I would expect that his stock will rise even more in the next year or so.

And he's got an offer now as well:

Seems that the local "Big 3" Watson, Ramey, Gordon all have offers now. That would be a huge coup if SLU could land them.

Well, at least if we don't get any of these kids, nobody can whine that we didn't offer early enough.

• 1 month later...

Some updates:

-Finke said his Northwestern visit is "one that stood out."

-Gordon picked up a Purdue offer. He was visited by SLU and Virginia this week.

-Watson was visited by SLU, Virginia, Indiana State, and Eastern Illinois.

-Ramey was visited by SLU, Virginia, Illinois, and Creighton; Virginia is the only of that bunch that hasn't offered yet.

-SLU was out to see Kevin Easley along with Michigan, UCLA, Ohio State, and Butler. His stock, which was already high, continues to rise. Vandy was his most recent campus visit and Xavier is his most recent offer.

-Pinkley's offers are still lower-division (Lindenwood, Illinois-Springfield), but he's picking up more D-I interest (SLU, Northwestern, Missouri State, UIC, Drake).

-Van Leer is starting to get more attention. He attended Missouri State's elite camp and Mizzou and SLU are keeping tabs on him.

-I understand why but sort of interesting to see UVA being mentioned a lot here and in the other thread, recruiting wasn't UB's strong suit

Virginia has cache now. Top ACC program on the rise. Asst HC with tons of local ties. Recruiting for Lindenwood helped Brad a lot locally. He really had to get together with local AAU and HS coaches on their level. Soderberg was always percieved as small time, and by extension so was SLU. Soderberg at Lindenwood changed the way he was percieved and now being a top asst at a bigtime ACC school he's offering something that he couldn't at SLU. I wouldn't be surprised to see him nab some big time local players in the upcoming classes.

Virginia has cache now. Top ACC program on the rise. Asst HC with tons of local ties. Recruiting for Lindenwood helped Brad a lot locally. He really had to get together with local AAU and HS coaches on their level. Soderberg was always percieved as small time, and by extension so was SLU. Soderberg at Lindenwood changed the way he was percieved and now being a top asst at a bigtime ACC school he's offering something that he couldn't at SLU. I wouldn't be surprised to see him nab some big time local players in the upcoming classes.

Did they only start pursuing Watson and Gordon after Soderberg got there? I think he took that job in late April; the first time I saw Virginia's name tied to Gordon couldn't have been too far off that date.

I wish he would've gone after those kind of guys at SLU instead of Adam "Garbage Can Hops" Knollmeyer.

The UVA program is a really easy sell right now.

I agree. Team is doing well and plays in the ACC. If the kid cares about academics, UVA is about as solid as you get among top D-1 programs. They play in a top notch arena too. Finally, Charlottesville is a pretty cool town. Throw in that Bennett's a good coach, and you really got something there.

^Not arguing any of the above points. Bennett has found a way to build an exciting program around his father's strict defensive-minded system, at one of the nicest, most reputable schools in the country. Easy sell.

Just curious as to whether they were on Gordon before Sodie got there. There has to be a reason the program is suddenly popping up on STL kids; someone else (kshoe?) mentioned it first, I'm just wondering about the timeline.

^Not arguing any of the above points. Bennett has found a way to build an exciting program around his father's strict defensive-minded system, at one of the nicest, most reputable schools in the country. Easy sell.

Just curious as to whether they were on Gordon before Sodie got there. There has to be a reason the program is suddenly popping up on STL kids; someone else (kshoe?) mentioned it first, I'm just wondering about the timeline.

At this point, all we know is that UVA (likely Sodi) went and watched these guys at their high school gym in the past couple days. I suspect that they wouldn't have been recruiting these guys if it weren't for Sodi but who knows. I also don't think they are horribly late to the party as they are just entering their sophomore years and won't make a decision for two seasons.

At this point, all we know is that UVA (likely Sodi) went and watched these guys at their high school gym in the past couple days. I suspect that they wouldn't have been recruiting these guys if it weren't for Sodi but who knows. I also don't think they are horribly late to the party as they are just entering their sophomore years and won't make a decision for two seasons.

UVA watching Watson is new. But they've been on Gordon for a while; I'm just not sure exactly how long. Could be Sodie, maybe not. I'm guessing we'll see more of them in and around STL in the next couple years, though.

Man, how rough it would be to lose a recruiting battle to Soderberg...

I agree. Team is doing well and plays in the ACC. If the kid cares about academics, UVA is about as solid as you get among top D-1 programs. They play in a top notch arena too. Finally, Charlottesville is a pretty cool town. Throw in that Bennett's a good coach, and you really got something there.

And really hot chicks.

UVA seems to be recruiting at a pretty high level of late and seems to do a good job of targeting guys who fit their system. I personally don't envision UVA becoming a destination for many local STL kids and certainly don't think Soderberg has that sort of recruiting ability (really struggles to connect with young men), but I could be wrong. If UVA gets a STL kid or two it is likely more for the reasons explained above than Soderberg (although I guess Soderberg likely put these kids on UVAs radar).

There's also the possibility that Soderberg is merely the originator of these names from UVA's standpoint - i.e. "Hey, you need to go to St. Louis and check out this guy..." and then another assistant is doing the recruiting legwork. He's a natural fit at UVA because he knows Bennett's system so well, but I bet Bennett saw him as a practice coach. I mean, Romar brought him in to implement a defensive system.

So I don't think he's on the staff as a hired recruiting gun to mine the Midwest. (Although I think he'd be a better recruiter without also having the pressure of being a head coach and ultimate decision maker.)