Need a leader on this team

Fansince59

We have no leader on this team. Someone needs to get Lacona and Crawford, both good players, to be more intense--last year, Evans played that role well, as did Lowe. Sorry, we have no point guard to distribute the ball or lead our team.. Our starting point guard plays like we are in a half court church league, shooting whenever he wants, not thinking of others, not concerned with where his teammates are when he launches his bombs. If he could make 40% it would be different, but his shooting is very spotty.. Notice when Crawford is out there he points to each freshman where they should be. He shows leadership in the few minutes he is there. McBroom never helps the freshman. McBroom does not lead at all, in my opinion. We should develop Bartley as PG and put Hollywood on the bench.

All this hankering for Crawford as the guy harkens back to all the clamor for Barnett to play more at one time - how did that work out for you? Crawford is just a guy and that is the problem on this team - all our experience are just guys.

There's probably a good chance it's just a coincidence but in our 2 best games of the year (SIUC and Indiana St) Crawford played 27 and 24 minutes respectively. He averaged 9 points in those games and shot 55% from the field.

In our other 6 D1 games, he played 8, 17, 15, 15, 8, 9 minutes (12 per game) and has shot 41% from the field.

Giving him more minutes certainly can't hurt. Might as well try it at this point. Despite the reduction in minutes, he's still our 5th leading scorer.

The guards are the problem offensively, at this point.

We need at least 1 guard who can beat his man off the dribble, force the defense to collapse, and kick out an accurate pass to a shooter who can knock down an open shot.

We don't have that.

We have a lot of guys going hard and either expecting to get the foul called, or kicking out a wild pass to someone who isn't able to get a clean shot off.

I see a lot of potential in the passing of Gillmann and Yarbrough. Big men who can pass are hard to find, and a trademark of the best teams - but someone has to be able to convert on the other end of those passes.

These freshmen are still seeds or prospects, not finished products. They need time to gel and grow together so that they instinctively know where the others will be and can make the crisp passes to the spots where they're best positioned to score.

McBroom's production is wildly inconsistent game to game, and when he's not scoring, he's a liability.

The biggest problem has been Ash's lack of offensive repertoire beyond slashing to the bucket. 2-8 from the field with zero assists is very poor.

McBroom's production is wildly inconsistent game to game, and when he's not scoring, he's a liability.

I agree that McBroom is inconsistent on the offensive end, BUT, and I've been saying this to practically anybody who will listen, the reason why McBroom is leading this team in minutes is his defense. He is probably our 2nd best defender outside of Yacoubou (who still makes some pretty dumb mistakes). His improvement is insane considering his defense was non-existent last season. I am definitely impressed, and I think he earns those minutes based on his D.

I would like to see more of Crawford, not because he is more talented then Bartley, Miles, Roby but because he is just more steady. The flashes of freshmen are fun to watch at times but the 3 freshmen guards were extremely out of position last night. Bartley probably being the worst.

I think a little more Crawford (and maybe Lancona) in at the end of the game might have helped us. They are less flashy and even less productive then the billikens who they play behind, but they do not let their men get open lay ups with 2 mins left in a close game.

I am desperately ready to cut the rotation. I know it's not clear cut, but just find 9 guys...

I would like to see more of Crawford, not because he is more talented then Bartley, Miles, Roby but because he is just more steady. The flashes of freshmen are fun to watch at times but the 3 freshmen guards were extremely out of position last night. Bartley probably being the worst.

I think a little more Crawford (and maybe Lancona) in at the end of the game might have helped us. They are less flashy and even less productive then the billikens who they play behind, but they do not let their men get open lay ups with 2 mins left in a close game.

I am desperately ready to cut the rotation. I know it's not clear cut, but just find 9 guys...

+1

re: crawford

He's not quick enough to do much offensively besides shoot open shots, or pump fake and hit a mid range jumper or layup if the defense isn't expecting it.

Crawford can't beat guys off the dribble straight up.

And our other guards are? Maybe in practice but it's not happening in games.

I agree that McBroom is inconsistent on the offensive end, BUT, and I've been saying this to practically anybody who will listen, the reason why McBroom is leading this team in minutes is his defense. He is probably our 2nd best defender outside of Yacoubou (who still makes some pretty dumb mistakes). His improvement is insane considering his defense was non-existent last season. I am definitely impressed, and I think he earns those minutes based on his D.

He's definitely improved and it's noticeable, but I'm not sure I'd say his defense is good. But I do agree with you. His defense is getting him minutes even if it's just based on the fact that he's better than the freshmen. We need more out of him offense if he's going to play 32 minutes like he did last night. but at least he's not a liability on defense anymore.

And our other guards are? Maybe in practice but it's not happening in games.

That's my thought process as well. Crawford is not a star, but right now he can add just as much offense as pretty much any other guard and his defense is good enough. It's stereotypical, but he's smart enough and well positioned enough on defense that it makes up for some of the quickness he may not have.

That's my thought process as well. Crawford is not a star, but right now he can add just as much offense as pretty much any other guard and his defense is good enough. It's stereotypical, but he's smart enough and well positioned enough on defense that it makes up for some of the quickness he may not have.

He is the only guard on the team that consistently hit an open jumper. He has to play and you have to run plays to open him up.

He's definitely improved and it's noticeable, but I'm not sure I'd say his defense is good. But I do agree with you. His defense is getting him minutes even if it's just based on the fact that he's better than the freshmen. We need more out of him offense if he's going to play 32 minutes like he did last night. but at least he's not a liability on defense anymore.

Yeah, agreed...good compared to last year- NO. But he's gotten to be pretty decent, especially for this year's team.

I really can't fault Crews too much for giving him minutes. I mean, he's probably our best 3 point shooter. At some point during the game, you'd think he'd eventually get a bucket or two...especially against the $hit teams we've played. He is shooting 44% from 3, and on a team starved for some long distance shooting, he's one of our best options. Granted, he's prone to taking bad shots, and I'd bench him if that became the norm, but our offense is so so so so so so so bad. Albeit spotty, McBroom is one of the only guys capable and proven to be able to hit shots (and it's sad that I just typed that).

We have no leader on this team. Someone needs to get Lacona and Crawford, both good players, to be more intense--last year, Evans played that role well, as did Lowe. Sorry, we have no point guard to distribute the ball or lead our team.. Our starting point guard plays like we are in a half court church league, shooting whenever he wants, not thinking of others, not concerned with where his teammates are when he launches his bombs. If he could make 40% it would be different, but his shooting is very spotty.. Notice when Crawford is out there he points to each freshman where they should be. He shows leadership in the few minutes he is there. McBroom never helps the freshman. McBroom does not lead at all, in my opinion. We should develop Bartley as PG and put Hollywood on the bench.

McBroom is shooting 44% from 3 this season. When he won't/can't get open and take threes (see last night), this offense goes from bad to horrific. That's the problem with taking McBroom out of the equation.

I like Crawford, but the fact that he didn't beat out Jake Barnett last year is a red flag.

How many posts were made about Barnett's play?

I stand by the opinion that Crawford had to be Lisch 2.0 to beat out Barnett last year. Crews was sticking with Barnett through anything.

McBroom is shooting 44% from 3 this season. When he won't/can't get open and take threes (see last night), this offense goes from bad to horrific. That's the problem with taking McBroom out of the equation.

This is why he should be brought off the bench. Instant O.

To get on topic of needing a leader, we don't just need a lead by example guy. We need an "in your face" type guy. I remember in an exhibition game before his junior year, Rob passed up on an open shot and while on the court, Kwamain screamed at him to "shoot the foucking ball."

I remember Kwamain getting on some of the other guys for not screwing up or not playing hard enough. And it wasn't constant positive talk. He was like Majerus in that he didn't baby the guys if they messed up or if he felt they weren't giving max effort.

Literally anyone on the team could step into that role. I hope someone does.

But was there an in-your-face leader like that on last year's team? I honestly don't know. I know everybody talked about Dwayne being a leader and Loe being a teacher, but from the outside looking in they never seemed like the vocal type Mitchell did.

No but I'm not sure they needed one. This team does. Conklin and Mitchell are the types of leaders that this team needs. Patience is good but so is getting on you and getting in your face. That's not really Crews' style so we need a player to step up.

I can't stand the guy but the whole "play angry" thing that Gregg Marshall and Wichita St preach could do us some good. I want to see the guys out there completely pissed off especially after yesterday. Guys and even the crowd can feed off that vibe