The Bills over Bradley by 2

The Wiz

Well, it has been a long and quick slide from A- 10 days ago to D+. However it is not that unusual to bounce around like that in Nov particularly with a new and young team. A young team creates even more volatility. Today's game will finish out the data to create a workable baseline. (6 games) After today, I will move to an all "real data " system which should do 2 things. Stabilize the grades ie harder to move up or down...rankings will change at a slower pace. And the accuracy in predicting the winning team and the point spread will increase. This is no different than any other Nov. It just seems more prononced because of the turnover this year. The extreme volatility was the same 4 years ago and also after "the incident". Looking forward in the coming weeks , we should do pretty well as the schedule softens quite a bit (except for the WSU bump) Hopefully, this upcoming stretch will give us the time needed to come together and gel...WSU will be chalked up as a learning experience.

As for last night's game....we just need to file it away and move on. I could talk about the stats...generally not a good thing when your FT%(38%) is about the same as your FG%(36%)....a positive take away was a drop in TO's (11) . Unfortunately. everything else dropped too and not in a good way. But the only key stat was that MSU had a great game. 56% FG%...47% 3pt% ..FT% 78%....

When MSU looks back at the end of season this will be their "wow" game. That one great game during the season where everything clicks. When they play like that, they can beat anybody. It really didn't matter what we did. It happens. You just use it as a learning experience and move on. (and hope you don't run into any other "wow" games)

Onto today's game....

Bradley is a D team. We still need to concentrate on the fundamentals....keeping TO's down, making FT's, working on scoring points (we are 301st in pts scored) etc. Get back to basics including D

I will end with a trivia fact which shows the importance of D............

The Bills have a 63 game winning streak when they hold the opp to fewer than 60 points. The last time we lost when allowing fewer than 60pts was Jan 11, 2011 when GW beat the Bills 52-46.

Given the volatility and uncertainty of youth, I think any and all numbers associated with this team will skew and bounce around like lottery balls in a selection machine. We have no clue right now what we have, who will do what, who will show up or whatever. I think there should be another measurement item in here, namely upperclassmen or experience. You can't discount it.

I think it's time we all throw our expectations out the window. We're not a good team right now and there are plenty of reasons for that. No amount of bashing JM or AM or any of the freshmen is going to change it. Take this season for what it is and save the gottdamn stressing and yelling for other more important things in life.

I think it's time we all throw our expectations out the window. We're not a good team right now and there are plenty of reasons for that. No amount of bashing JM or AM or any of the freshmen is going to change it. Take this season for what it is and save the gottdamn stressing and yelling for other more important things in life.

+1

Wiz, I like your analysis...but how can this team be favored against anyone after what we saw last night?

Well, the Bills are a D+ and Bradley is a D. We should win by 2. Both Indiana St and SIU are both better than Bradley. But the 2 pt spread indicates we will have to buckle down.

While I agree with Moy, we are all Bills fans and we do take this stuff seriously. However, as many have posted prior to the start of this season, the expectations for this season were not what I'd call high. Most felt if we could make the NIT that would be a very successful season. Can we even do that at this point? I think not. Until we see some improvement and consistency, mostly from the Sophs and AY, it's gonna get ugly at times and last night definitely falls into that category.

At this stage I'm just looking to see who's showing improvement and development. Last night didn't see much, if any, of either. But as Moy said, it makes little sense in blasting JM and AM, they are what they are. Still, if AM is going to be getting the bulk of the minutes at PG, and only because he returns next year, then play like a PG not a 2 or a sniper coming off the bench. Otherwise, go with one of the FR, MR or MB, at the point and let them learn how the position's supposed to be played at this level.

Also, I don't get a lot of the minute distributions. For example, MR, who put the team on his back against NCAT, got 12 minutes. That really made no sense unless he was still banged up from the beating he took in that previous game.

I understand JC not knowing who to play at this point, so why not play 6 in the first half and the other 6 in the second half? Make exceptions for 2 or three mistakes in a row. You can't learn anything from this constant rotation of 12 soon to be 13. A player needs more time to get adjusted to the game. Let them make their mistakes, at least you have some continuity. At least that would be my intention in going into a game at this point. By conference time you have a real read as to who can play and who needs to come off of the bench.