Bigs report card

slu72

JM- D and this seems kind. From what I saw on the stream he was just not a factor in any aspect. Was expecting so much more from him.

Jolly- C not much on offense but showed some chops on D.

TL- C- expected more like we saw late last year.

RA- C seems to take him awhile to get in the flow of things. Nice assist to AG, and some boards.

MY-C+ got to slow it down a bit, but the tip in was good to see.

AG-B pleasantly surprised. Another RL in the making? Hit the weight room.

JM- D and this seems kind. From what I saw on the stream he was just not a factor in any aspect. Was expecting so much more from him.

Jolly- C not much on offense but showed some chops on D.

TL- C- expected more like we saw late last year.

RA- C seems to take him awhile to get in the flow of things. Nice assist to AG, and some boards.

MY-C+ got to slow it down a bit, but the tip in was good to see.

AG-B pleasantly surprised. Another RL in the making? Hit the weight room.

Manning set a lot of picks then rolled toward the baseline. Was open almost every time, No one ever tried to pass him the ball and SIU never

tried to guard him. Ball was just reversed the other way without even a look. Wont get many chances if you own players wont look for you.

This was true for several of the others also.

I think Manning gets discouraged when he doesn't get any touches.

For those that did not go to the game or were not able to watch a stream of the game, Austin Gillman looked good. In short, he was athletic and played with confidence. There was no hesitation on his 3 pointer and it came in the flow of the play. Now, his second one did seem more like an ill advised shot. JC did show confidence in him; however, by playing him the last 2 minutes. With 1 minute left in the game, I believe our 5 players were: AG along with AM, MR, MC and AY.

Also, major credit needs to go to Jim Crews for his end of game coaching. In short, we did more than just hang close and make a few late shots for the win. Instead, we were patient, ran the offense, found Crawford for a big 3 pointer, played really good D, got the ball back with 40 seconds left and a tie game, we were running a play for Ash which was well defended and then, when this didn't work, the team looked abit confused... instead of playing street ball and firing up a shot on their own, JC called a timeout, we regrouped, ran the offense and, of course, AM then hit the big 3 pointer. Great job JC!!

What did Manning do this summer? Man, that was a bummer. I didn't expect much but I held out hope that some of you were right and he would have a "Conklin Summer." He obviously had a "Manning Summer."

For those that did not go to the game or were not able to watch a stream of the game, Austin Gillman looked good. In short, he was athletic and played with confidence. There was no hesitation on his 3 pointer and it came in the flow of the play. Now, his second one did seem more like an ill advised shot. JC did show confidence in him; however, by playing him the last 2 minutes. With 1 minute left in the game, I believe our 5 players were: AG along with AM, MR, MC and AY.

Also, major credit needs to go to Jim Crews for his end of game coaching. In short, we did more than just hang close and make a few late shots for the win. Instead, we were patient, ran the offense, found Crawford for a big 3 pointer, played really good D, got the ball back with 40 seconds left and a tie game, we were running a play for Ash which was well defended and then, when this didn't work, the team looked abit confused... instead of playing street ball and firing up a shot on their own, JC called a timeout, we regrouped, ran the offense and, of course, AM then hit the big 3 pointer. Great job JC!!

Caught the game on TV, agree, JC coached a he** of a last 2 minutes. Made Hinson look bad with a more experienced team.

Manning must have irritated Crews because he didn't play much after looking pretty futile on a few plays. We got the idea he was in the doghouse. We understood Gillmann to be a project; he looks like he'll play as he is more athletic than Manning, but needs 30 llbs or so. Lacona looked lost. I wish they would feed Crawford more. McBroom had a very good game, but he sometimes plays like this is a Sunday afternoon church league game, and if he has the ball, he will put in up or drive without looking for another. I liked his open shots; I don't care for his ball-hogging and ill-advised shotw when others are open. He started off last year this way and then quit with the forced shots; I had the feeling Evans and Lowe sat down with him. Maybe I am wrong, but as good as he played last night, I still am frustrated with his selfish play.

I only watched the last 8 minutes of the game...

Why didn't Agbeko and Lancona play more? Were they really that bad? I mean, their stats were pretty terrible, but 21 minutes combined seems pretty pathetic for 2 of our returning guys.

For those that did not go to the game or were not able to watch a stream of the game, Austin Gillman looked good. In short, he was athletic and played with confidence. There was no hesitation on his 3 pointer and it came in the flow of the play. Now, his second one did seem more like an ill advised shot. JC did show confidence in him; however, by playing him the last 2 minutes.

gillman did pass up a WIDE OPEN three towards the end of the game on a pick and pop set specifically for him. gad flashbacks to rob loe, and for a second, my brain didn't work, because I thought - WOAH. there is no way in HELL rob doesn't take that shot. i forget the game, but he once put up crazy huge ball three after another from the top of the key and singlehandedly won the game for us.

whatever, though. gillman played well, and it was his first game ever. we'll see plenty of big threes from him.

and, yes, mcbroom played a hell of a game and without him, we lose, no question. but as the season goes on, he's going to need to assume more of a true PG role. i have no problem with him having a big green light to shoot the three. but he needs to stay out of the lane and look to get the rest of our extremely talented team going. ash needs more shots, crawford needs more shots, lancona needs more shots.

Gillman obviously looked a little nervous, but with more playing time he can start to gain confidence in dribbling the ball in the paint. I'd like to see him get the starting role from now on. Huge upside.

gillman did pass up a WIDE OPEN three towards the end of the game on a pick and pop set specifically for him. gad flashbacks to rob loe, and for a second, my brain didn't work, because I thought - WOAH. there is no way in HELL rob doesn't take that shot. i forget the game, but he once put up crazy huge ball three after another from the top of the key and singlehandedly won the game for us.

I think that was VCU last year, right? Because Bobby Knight on the broadcast was saying "NO NO NO NO" when Loe put up the shot, and he nailed it.

I think the player that most disappointed me last night was TL. He was showing some promise late last year. Didn't see that last night. Hopefully just a bad game for him. Thought he'd be a little more like that Obrien kid from SIU.

It's only one game; I'm sure it will take most of the nonconference season for coach to settle on his conference rotation. I wouldn't take too much on the negative side from the season opener-those same kids might be great against Indiana State and some of the other guys who were good last night could struggle. I will agree with 59 that Crawford needs to be fed more, because he knows how to put the ball in the hole in a lot of different ways.

AG was a big a pleasant surprise, his three was great, but he has great hands! He nimbly scooped up a loose ball below his knees in traffic, and he received the high low from Agbeko caught turned without bringing the ball down and a nice touch of the glass.

Defensively I would not have expected him to hold his ground as well as he did, yes he needs more muscle weight but I can see why they do not want to redshirt him. He will play.

MR was a player at the end of the game. Excellent defensively when the year is over he and ash my be our lock down defenders on the perimeter.

I really like what we saw from Gillman. I just have to question if he is strong enough to play major minutes game in game out at this point. I think he has a chance to be big in a limited role.

You have to hand it to Austin.

1st time probably playing in front of 10,000 spectators and on regional TV. Handled it well. I am going enjoy watching him for the next 4 years.

Bigs are the key to success in this game, and unfortunately none of our bigs emerged last night to be factors.

We have plenty of time for a few to develop and take charge but I certainly thought a big or two would shine vs. SIUC.

Our #1 & #2 will be fine as will our #3's with some playing time with roles to be defined and some sorting out to do, but we cannot be as successful as in recent years without a few #4's and / or #5's who can be productive in their roles.

It is still very early, we shall see.