Crews on why he may play 13 against SIUC Saturday

pooch1918

Wow, Roby had some decent offers. Glad we got him. If he can develop his offense, think JJ, he'll be a load at 6'4". I'll give this team one thing they certainly sound enthusiastic about being at SLU.

Jordair was at a whole different level athletically than Roby. A lot of people want to compare the two but I just dont see it. Roby will be good just a different type of player than Jordair

Jordair was at a whole differently level athletically than Roby. A lot of people want to compare the two but I just dont see it. Roby will be good just a different type of player than Jordair,

Agreed. They are different types of players. Jordair is unlike any player I have ever seen. Not sure who to compare him to. But from what I have seen of Roby, he looks like the prototypical athletic 2/3 that a lot of programs have (not always SLU) and there is nothing wrong with that.

Agreed. They are different types of players. Jordair is unlike any player I have ever seen. Not sure who to compare him to. But from what I have seen of Roby, he looks like the prototypical athletic 2/3 that a lot of programs have (not always SLU) and there is nothing wrong with that.

I sort of like the comparison to Khalid El-Amin.

I think Jameer Nelson is a decent comparison. Perhaps Jarrett Jack, too. Levance Fields for Pitt a few years ago also had a similar game. El-Amin was straight up portly. One thing is for certain, Jett is one unique player.

I say this with the utmost love and respect for Jordair---my guess, so far, is that they're a little different. Davell is a legit 6'4", I'm almost 6'2" and he towered over me. I met Jordair last winter, I was definitely taller than him. It also looks like Davell is coming in with much more refined shooting skills. Check out this YouTube link

Again, Love me some Jett, butt his outside shot came out of his stomach, reminded me of how my dad or middle schoolers shoot 3's.

Crews just reiterated that he plans to play a big rotation. He says he has never played 13 in a game, but he thinks for this group it gives them the best chance to be consistent. I give him credit for being open to something a little different. A lot of older coaches tend to become set in their ways.

Agree.

Again, Love me some Jett, butt his outside shot came out of his stomach, reminded me of how my dad or middle schoolers shoot 3's.

Let's not act like Roby has a good jumpshot. I would certainly not call his shooting stroke "refined." The knock on him in high school was that he was not a great shooter. That said, I agree that he's going to be a really good player and is probably a better shooter than where Jett was at that point.

Roby seemed to have the green light to shoot the open 3 in the exhibition game.

One thing that Crews seems to be doing (at least against Harris Stowe) is letting them play loose. There are going to be some bonehead turnovers on occasion but every guard on this roster who has an open 3 should (and hopefully will) take it.

Roby seemed to have the green light to shoot the open 3 in the exhibition game.

One thing that Crews seems to be doing (at least against Harris Stowe) is letting them play loose. There are going to be some bonehead turnovers on occasion but every guard on this roster who has an open 3 should (and hopefully will) take it.

+1

And without intending to rip on possibly the most successful SLU basketball class in years, but to present perspective for the sake of our Frosh and Sophs, let's not forget all the turnovers, the poor shoots, the poor decision-making and the flat out inconsistent play of last year's Seniors when they were Freshmen and even Sophomores!! Yes, we all saw promise and talent in them as Freshmen... but let's not forget how much they struggled, were over-matched and just did not play well -- it was truly a long year yet filled with hope and optimism.

Us old guys remember an NBA PG named Al Attles. Had a great career with the Warriors from '60 thru the early '70's. Little known fact is that he was the PG the night Wilt went for 100. The next day's paper led off with: "Wilt Chamberlain and Al Attles combined for 117 points while leading the Warriors to a 169-147 victory over the Knicks."

Doubt you could say that about any other twosome in hoop history.

Us old guys remember an NBA PG named Al Attles. Had a great career with the Warriors from '60 thru the early '70's. Little known fact is that he was the PG the night Wilt went for 100. The next day's paper led off with: "Wilt Chamberlain and Al Attles combined for 117 points while leading the Warriors to a 169-147 victory over the Knicks."

Man I love this board sometimes. This an such an amazing non-sequitur....

Please someone connect the logic for me.

+1

And without intending to rip on possibly the most successful SLU basketball class in years, but to present perspective for the sake of our Frosh and Sophs, let's not forget all the turnovers, the poor shoots, the poor decision-making and the flat out inconsistent play of last year's Seniors when they were Freshmen and even Sophomores!! Yes, we all saw promise and talent in them as Freshmen... but let's not forget how much they struggled, were over-matched and just did not play well -- it was truly a long year yet filled with hope and optimism.

So true, so true. If attitudes don't change this team may accomplish more than that team. I just hope Gillmann, Jolly, Neufeld, and Welmer? will wind up being as talented as the current Wisconsin front line. Add Agbeko and Lancona to that and SLU will have something very special. The guards WILL be special, imo.

Taj Mahal 79 would remember Al Attles. I do as well, being a Celts fan, and we always shouted rattle the Attle.