Some things never change

White Pelican

Just read the last two paragraphs that summarize all the stuff that has occurred in the last year. Unreal.

More specifically in the last 6 months... it is kind of hard to keep track of it all, but it looks like 6 players in trouble with the law and 3 players kicked out, with a 4th transferring. New coach, same old SPUMAC. It is hard to believe there was a time on this board when people were actually scolded for writing SPUMAC. I look forward to aj dropping by to share his thought on this.

Seriously, how can you read these paragraphs and not be concerned about the program:

"Sunday's incident is the latest for a basketball program that had its share off off-court issues dating back to last season. In March, guards Wes Clark and Shane Rector were suspended after police arrested them on suspicion of marijuana possession. Senior forward Tony Criswell went to court for not paying rent and was eventually dismissed from the team. Shortly after the season Louisville transfer Zach Price was arrested twice in the same day for two separate assault incidents involving teammate Earnest Ross, a senior last season. Price was kicked off the team and later pleaded guilty to reduced misdemeanor charges. All those incidents occurred on former coach Frank Haith's watch.

In August, Anderson dismissed forward Torren Jones for an undisclosed violation of team rules. "

More specifically in the last 6 months... it is kind of hard to keep track of it all, but it looks like 6 players in trouble with the law and 3 players kicked out, with a 4th transferring. New coach, same old SPUMAC. It is hard to believe there was a time on this board when people were actually scolded for writing SPUMAC. I look forward to aj dropping by to share his thought on this.

There were rumors on the Tigerboard that whatever Torren Jones did to get kicked out it was really bad. Somehow they have kept the details of that one out of the press.

How brainless can they be to commit assault right on the street? And, for what?

Power school college hoops and football teams are fraught with thugs that do not belong in a university setting at all, period, end of story.

Missouri U is close to home so we at SLU see and hear more about Mizzou but it is happening across the land as AD's and President's not just compromise but actually sell out their sworn university core values to get a winning team with these types of players to make money.

Parents & high school students looking for a college will not be attracted to a school because of it's top football or basketball winning traditions as blindly as before. Who wants to root for Missouri basketball? Sure, there will still be fans, but many will shun the program as this continues. It takes time but the public is getting sick of this.

Similarly, NFL players are finally being exposed despite monumental efforts to cover it up.The 5-6 players being cited right now in the NFL are the tip of the tip of the tip of the iceberg. NBA, lots of things there, too.

A pity.

Some great sports are being damaged.

How brainless can they be to commit assault right on the street? And, for what?

Power school college hoops and football teams are fraught with thugs that do not belong in a university setting at all, period, end of story.

Missouri U is close to home so we at SLU see and hear more about Mizzou but it is happening across the land as AD's and President's not just compromise but actually sell out their sworn university core values to get a winning team with these types of players to make money.

Parents & high school students looking for a college will not be attracted to a school because of it's top football or basketball winning traditions as blindly as before. Who wants to root for Missouri basketball? Sure, there will still be fans, but many will shun the program as this continues. It takes time but the public is getting sick of this.

Similarly, NFL players are finally being exposed despite monumental efforts to cover it up.The 5-6 players being cited right now in the NFL are the tip of the tip of the tip of the iceberg. NBA, lots of things there, too.

A pity.

Some great sports are being damaged.

Parents and high school students probably should be getting sick of all these issues... but what proof do you have they are? Last I checked, Mizzou's enrollment continues to soar and is nearly double what the enrollment was when I was college age. Also, while Mizzou football has always had issues, Mizzou problems seem like they are more prevalent today and yet Mizzou football is more popular today than any other time I can ever recall.

-have we been lucky, relatively speaking, compared to them? or

-do we recruit a different type of kid? or

-do we do a better job on the cover up? or

-do we have a better program from start to finish that teaches our kids how to be a decent student and member of a college campus? or

-something else? or

-all the above?

-i don't think the cover up one works because of how the situation was handled, but i am not privy to that stuff and we have a new president

-i just hope our time does not again come on the police blotter, but remember, these are kids, some or most of whom are away from home for school for the first time

I think it is easier for the black student athletes to fit in in an urban school than a small town state school. They are exposed to more hillbilly antagonism there than they would endure here. Not making excuses but. also the bars are fewer and more concentrated with partying students. Get a few cocktails in all concerned, then flirt with some girl and next thing people are taunting and in their face and one thing leads to another. Here there are more people of color in the demographics so there is less of a duck out of water quality for those blacks athletes going the MU route.

I think it is easier for the black student athletes to fit in in an urban school than a small town state school. They are exposed to more hillbilly antagonism there than they would endure here. Not making excuses but. also the bars are fewer and more concentrated with partying students. Get a few cocktails in all concerned, then flirt with some girl and next thing people are taunting and in their face and one thing leads to another. Here there are more people of color in the demographics so there is less of a duck out of water quality for those blacks athletes going the MU route.

Balderdash.

My family is from Boone County, and I think there may be some truth to this. The rest of mid-Missouri makes Columbia look positively cosmopolitan, but it's still a very different atmosphere. Even after trending less white over the past couple decades, Columbia is still barely 10% black. The rest of the area is close to zero. As a kid I remember seeing a mall cop get in the face of one of the Haley twins for no reason, cussing him out and basically daring the kid to give him a reason to call the real cops in. I also remember all kinds of nasty racist and homophobic stuff yelled at Mizzou football games.

Of course, there are probably way more opportunities for kids to get in trouble in St. Louis than in Columbia, but the culture is absolutely different. These young black athletes are brought in as hired guns in a place like Columbia that lives and breathes college sports. In a place like St. Louis young black kids can absolutely blend in. I ran into Jett and McCall at Schnuck's once their junior year, after they'd already played in one NCAA tournament. I was apparently the only one in the store who recognized them. Just night and day from the reaction the Mizzou stars get when they're out in public in Columbia. More than anything, they're branded as "special" way more at the big state schools in towns like that, and get all the negatives and positives associated with it.