SLU Soccer Rankings (week 3)

kwyjibo

After only recieving votes or being ignored last week (before beating Louisville) I will summarize the rankings once again this week:

NSCAA Coaches poll: 20

College Soccer News: 31 (highest receiving votes outside top 30)

Top Drawer: Unranked (no votes!) Creighton is #1 so maybe they will notice SLU this weekend

Soccer America: 15 (see, I was right Soccer America is biased toward SLU!)

Massey Computer Rankings (Margin of Victory only): 28

Unofficial ("GauchoDan") RPI: 14 (way too early but this is a good start).

College Soccer 360 publishes a composite ranking ranking based on the above and SLU is 30 (except it also includes the Bennett ranking which is too terrible to even mention-I know I did last year but any ranking that uses a conference factor as part of a team ranking does not understand what they are doing well enough to mention).

The good news in the conference is that George Mason is undefeated against a decent schedule. Davidson tied a D-II school but I do not think that will count against them in RPI (Belmont Abbey, the team they tied had a player die at practice this summer). Creighton and Indiana have started well so hopefully the non-conference schedule is not too bad. The A-10 in general though is not looking too great-UMass and St. Bona will in particular hurt SLU's RPI regardless of outcome.

There is a game tonight against UM-Kangaroo.

Oct. 1st 7:30 p.m. B-town time. I think I just might make that.

One wonders if Crean will venture out to the pitch. I saw him there a couple years ago and he was really into it. Wonder if he was into the "real football" at Marquette.

Huge for us to pick this up away and also to have beaten Louisville. That is two Top Tens beaten thus far this year. Makes the Memphis game look like an anomaly. Good job boys.

I think Creighton has learned their lesson about inviting SLU to play at their homecoming. Last time we were there we beat them 3-1.

Huge for us to pick this up away and also to have beaten Louisville. That is two Top Tens beaten thus far this year. Makes the Memphis game look like an anomaly. Good job boys.

I think Creighton has learned their lesson about inviting SLU to play at their homecoming. Last time we were there we beat them 3-1.

I thought teams were supposed to schedule chumps for homecoming. Big win for the football Billikens.

Even if they don't officially count, I have to imagine there is some sort of influence they would have over human voters.

Generally, no.

The NCAA Division I men's soccer championship only includes 48 teams and 25 of those granted automatic qualification by way of the conference. The other 23 teams are selected by a committee of coaches and athletic directors that are handed a detailed breakdown of all Division I teams based on a host of primary and secondary factors with the RPI being the key. The analysis does not include the exhibition season nor does it include the first regular season game played against any non-Division I opponents.

The 23 teams will largely be the top 23 teams in the RPI that did not earn and automatic bid. The exceptions are often elite programs and those from the best conferences getting in over deserving teams.

There are exceptions to everything. And, had SLU played North Carolina and UCLA in addition to Notre Dame and destroyed them all, then maybe a coach or two might bring that knowledge to the table. Otherwise, for the 2014 season, SLU shall be judged by every game played after orientation.

Kristo named to TopDrawerSoccer team of the week. http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/tds-mens-team-of-the-week:-sept-15-21_aid34273

TopDrawer also has us at #19 . Notre Dame is back at #1. While a stretch, we can make a weak argument that we've beaten two #1s this year if you include the exhibition against Notre Dame. As much as I am still cautious about SLU this year despite the returners, hard to argue that they are not demonstrating that they are a top team this year. The Indiana and George Mason games will be key. I would be happy with 1-1 versus them. George Mason is at #17. Indiana is at #20. As McGinty noted, he thinks on a scale of 1-10, we have a team full of 7-8s across all positions which may be the recipe needed to do some damage this year.