New Strauss Column - SLU needs to local Hoop talent at home

I'm not sure how much contact SLU is having with this kid - but if we don't have a constant presence at his games and through calls/texts, then that needs to change immediately. But with that said, I think Strauss' article gives the impression that we're in bad shape with this kid, which is definitely not true.

Agreed. For those in the know correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Beals, Lee, the Haboroughs, Suggs, etc make it known early SLU was never an option? With JT it sounds different. He's interested but we've got to respond in kind. If we're not then JC and staff have fallen asleep at the switch, and I can't fathom that.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. For those in the know correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Beals, Lee, the Haboroughs, Suggs, etc make it known early SLU was never an option? With JT it sounds different. He's interested but we've got to respond in kind. If we're not then JC and staff have fallen asleep at the switch, and I can't fathom that.

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on here that Beal said there was no chance.

Strauss is a d-bag. Pretty smart guy who knows his stuff when he wants to but on an issue like this he is clearly coming in with an agenda. I agree with his premise, but I think he pick and chose his Tatum quotes to make the story a little different than it was.

ForDaLove, I don't think it's fair for you to say that what Tatum claimed about UNC, Duke, etc. recruiting Jayson harder is false. I'm sure you have great inside sources within the Men's basketball program. But Tatum is also a pretty good source. If he is saying those schools are recruiting his son harder then would you not agree that's a pretty good source? But I have heard that we are going pretty aggressively with that Eagles team. So I generally agree with your point that Strauss made it a bigger deal than it was.

Strauss is a d-bag. Pretty smart guy who knows his stuff when he wants to but on an issue like this he is clearly coming in with an agenda. I agree with his premise, but I think he pick and chose his Tatum quotes to make the story a little different than it was.

ForDaLove, I don't think it's fair for you to say that what Tatum claimed about UNC, Duke, etc. recruiting Jayson harder is false. I'm sure you have great inside sources within the Men's basketball program. But Tatum is also a pretty good source. If he is saying those schools are recruiting his son harder then would you not agree that's a pretty good source? But I have heard that we are going pretty aggressively with that Eagles team. So I generally agree with your point that Strauss made it a bigger deal than it was.

I wasn't trying to act like Justin doesn't know what he's talking about, sorry if my post came across that way. But I do think he was referring more to our recent recruiting of the local scene, or lack thereof. It has been well documented that we didn't go all in on kids like Beal in the past, but that has changed.

Justin is a good dude and I would love to see us hire him in the future.

I wasn't trying to act like Justin doesn't know what he's talking about, sorry if my post came across that way. But I do think he was referring more to our recent recruiting of the local scene, or lack thereof. It has been well documented that we didn't go all in on kids like Beal in the past, but that has changed.

Justin is a good dude and I would love to see us hire him in the future.

In the radio interview this article is based on it comes through that he was talking about the past more than the present. He even said at one point he wasn't talking about Jim Crews as it was still early in his tenure.

Just make Justin Tatum an assistant coach and turn him loose on the local scene and the problem is solved. Seems like he would like that and it may not be a bad idea if there is enough local talent to justify it.

+100000000000000000

Reading between the lines of Justin's comments one could reach the conclusion that he was lobbying for either Mizzery or SLU to give him a shot. That comment about he, Hughes, and Baniak wanting to stay home to make SLU a relevant sports team in a town that loves sports was pretty cool. He seemed to imply he could help us in keeping locals at home. Make him an offer, JC.

Reading between the lines of Justin's comments one could reach the conclusion that he was lobbying for either Mizzery or SLU to give him a shot. That comment about he, Hughes, and Baniak wanting to stay home to make SLU a relevant sports team in a town that loves sports was pretty cool. He seemed to imply he could help us in keeping locals at home. Make him an offer, JC.

Are you or others advocating that we fire one of our existing assistant coaches? You can only have 3.

P.s. I get the impression that platte is more important to the staff then the casual fan realizes.

Another error in the article I saw was in my print edition, which said David Lee went to John Burroughs, which is wrong. It is changed now online but it clearly says that in my print edition. Did the Post lay off all of their copy editors as well?

You can only have 3 listed specifically as assistant coaches, but there are DBO's and other titles given to fill out staffs.

No way Tatum would be interested in coaching if he isn't going to be part of the recruiting team (I.e. One of the top 3) Reassigning any of the existing coaches would clearly be a major demotion.

No way Tatum would be interested in coaching if he isn't going to be part of the recruiting team (I.e. One of the top 3) Reassigning any of the existing coaches would clearly be a major demotion.

Fairly certain there are rules against hiring parents for jobs that aren't actual assistant coaching jobs.

Also, anyone know who replaced Lepore?

Are you or others advocating that we fire one of our existing assistant coaches? You can only have 3.

P.s. I get the impression that platte is more important to the staff then the casual fan realizes.

I don't hear much about him, so I assume he does a lot of scouting and gameplanning.

We've seen Cheaney's influence with Yarbrough already. Wasn't Cheaney DBO or something similar at Indiana?

Fairly certain there are rules against hiring parents for jobs that aren't actual assistant coaching jobs.

Also, anyone know who replaced Lepore?

Don't think that is a rule. UNC hired Hansborough's mom for a position at the school.

Didn't someone post that Brown got Lepore's spot?

Don't think that is a rule. UNC hired Hansborough's mom for a position at the school.

Didn't someone post that Brown got Lepore's spot?

All schools hire relatives to get the kids to go to their school. I believe Self put Chalmer's father on staff while he played there.

I do get the feeling that in order to get JT, we will have to put daddy on staff.

All schools hire relatives to get the kids to go to their school. I believe Self put Chalmer's father on staff while he played there.

I do get the feeling that in order to get JT, we will have to put daddy on staff.

That's my take as well. He probably wants to advance to the next level after winning two HS championships. Watch Calipari pull something out of his bag of tricks.

I would be willing to hire Tatum even if his son weren't a recruit. Could help coach the bigs and would be a very good recruiter.

His players at CBC and Soldan (at least the ones I knew/know) would do anything for him.

I think the rule was put in place as a result of Chalmers. I'll go to the Google.

-if the perception of FBJT and his family is SLU is not doing enough that needs to change, and my take from the 'old' radio interview that seems to be the basis for these quotes, that is the mindset of at least his father, who played for SLU, or he has an agenda

-FBJT's mother, she has been reported on this site to be very involved, I hope we are or will be in contact with her, too

-I have no basis for this upcoming statement other than what I consider to be common sense and that is I find it very hard to believe that a recruit of FBJT's ability goes to high school 15 miles from our arena and our staff is not hard on him, so I sure hope we are

-I wonder if after this stint on the radio our staff contacted Jason?

-the reporting mistakes in the article are laughable, I wonder how Rammer addresses the SLU part of this with Strauss on the radio today and I would love if the question of 'did these quotes come from our interview?' was asked

I think we are doing everything we can do to land FBJT. I think we are paying the price a price for one of Rick's main recruiting philosophies. It makes sense on paper to bail on top talent like Beal when you don't think you have a chance and not to spend time on a guy like BJ Young when he shouldn't have made it into any school. Devote that time to people that have a realistic chance of suiting up for you. That said, you alienate people on the local level because they get the feeling you don't care recruiting the local kids.

I am sure SLU and Rick would have loved to have either of those two suit up for the Billikens, if they thought there was any chance. That doesn't matter, by not recruiting them like the other schools did, the perception becomes we didn't want them like the other schools. Sadly, that perception becomes reality for people involved in hoops on the local level.

Strauss made it sound like we do very little in relation to the BCS'er who encroach on our home turf. He should have gone right to recruits he calls us out on to see what really took place. If you were HC would you waste time on Beals when he supposedly said no way right up front? I recall Romar went after Lee pretty hard until he got a thumbs down as well. To think we don't pursue locals is kind of naive. Of course we do. But when you're spurned, you're spurned. Why waste the time or risk losing a plan B? I think RMs' attitude was the player needed him more than he needed them. He coached a good system and as long as he got decent recruits he knew he was going to win games. Now JT seems to be open to SLU along with his parents, so it's kind of hard to believe we're not putting on the full court press which is what Strauss is intimating. And he should have asked Justin what more should SLU be doing.

Strauss made it sound like we do very little in relation to the BCS'er who encroach on our home turf. He should have gone right to recruits he calls us out on to see what really took place. If you were HC would you waste time on Beals when he supposedly said no way right up front? I recall Romar went after Lee pretty hard until he got a thumbs down as well. To think we don't pursue locals is kind of naive. Of course we do. But when you're spurned, you're spurned. Why waste the time or risk losing a plan B? I think RMs' attitude was the player needed him more than he needed them. He coached a good system and as long as he got decent recruits he knew he was going to win games. Now JT seems to be open to SLU along with his parents, so it's kind of hard to believe we're not putting on the full court press which is what Strauss is intimating. And he should have asked Justin what more should SLU be doing.

From what I heard Beal never said no right up front, but even if he did you still show up at his games. When you do that you make your presence known to all the local kids. You aren't just recruiting Beal at that point you are recruiting future kids that come behind Beal.

A better article would be one about the local kids who chose to go elswhere, perhaps because they wanted to go to programs they perceived to be "big time," and missed out on what SLU has done the last three years. Scott Suggs, Scam Biedscheid, Nolan Berry and Tyler Griffey could have been better off playing in their hometown for a winner. They were slow to recognize that big time basketball was being built right here.

At the bball banquet, Evans said when he was in HS people in his hometown asked him why he signed with SLU. He said he had faith that he could be a part of a winner at SLU. Were the locals afraid of that challenge? It's easier to go to an established program as opposed to going to a place and building the success.

RM had the right idea. Build a winner with players who want to be here. If the quality local players think they are too good for SLU or don't want to get on board for whatever reason fine, RM was going to do some winning with or without them. The high school kids have now seen what the SLU program can become. Yes, SLU needs to do their best to recruit the top local players, the same way they need to work it with finding quality players throughout the world, but part of the responsibility is on the locals to want to play here. SLU always gets called out on this, but I think the locals at least share part of the responsibility if there is indeed a "problem."

When the article came out JC should have if he didn't already immediately call Justin and ask him where he thought SLU was lacking in their recruitment of Jayson. Let Justin know how much he appreciates his insight and then make sure Justin nevers feels that way again. The right sincere conversation with Justin making him feel appreciated and valued would play huge dividends not just with Jayson but with other local recruits. I'm very sure Justin has a lot of clout with the local JS kids