New Strauss Column - SLU needs to local Hoop talent at home

Strauss: MU, SLU need to keep local basketball talent at home

Several factual errors in the column.

I don't think his premise is bad. Most would like to see SLU recruit more locally.

Any connection to local recruits and bumps in attendance has been proven to be bogus.

His list of recruits we should have gone after harder

Beal - no chance in hell

Porter - I believe SLU was his first offer

Hansbroughs - Tyler no way, Ben he ended one of our players careers so in hindsight no. He wasn't going to SLU though.

Burks - Hats off to him & colorado, everyone missed on that kid.

Jones - I don't think we recruited him at all. Don't know what went on there. Nice player when not injured.

McClemore - C'mon, he wouldn't get through a day of SLU classes.

Harrelson - 2 coaches ago, old news.

He forgot BJ Young who is even dumber than McClemore.

I don't know what to think of Tatum's comments.

1. CBC was favored to win state, has been for 2 years. The title was anything but unexpected, it was overdue.

2. Jayson is obviously going to be JR not a SR. If he was a SR we wouldn't be discussing this, his decision would be made.

Justin has been very vocal lately in saying SLU isn't doing enough to court his son. This time claiming the bigger schools like UK, North Carolina, Duke are working harder than Crews. If true, shame on the coaching staff. We have a father begging us in a local paper to recruit his top 5 son and we aren't doing it. Still a part of me wonders why he is being so vocal about it? Why now?

We are criticized for not going "All In." What excactly does that mean? We can't go all in on high profile recruits, not like the other schools can, because if we fail to land them we don't have another MCD AA lineing up to take their place. Once again we were the first school to offer Jordan Barnett.

“You’ve just let Roy Williams come in your state three or four times in a row to see Jayson, the same with John Calipari, and you haven’t been in the gym as much as them,” Tatum says.

Crews should have all flights out of Raleigh Durham to St. Louis cancelled until Tatum signs his LOI. seriously though are we not seeing Jayson as much as needed or does his father just not understand recruiting rules?

A lackluster column by Strauss overall. He's clearly out of his element here. How hard is to check out which HS David Lee went to? John Burroughs? C'mon. Still the comments by Justin tatum are somewhat alarming. I'm not holding my breath on SLU signing Jayson Tatum but SLU's image problem locally is real and needs to be addressed. Even Mizzou with all their problems has their former players toeing the line. You never ever hear a MIzzou sports alum bash their teams. There are many SLU basketball alums active in youth coaching in the area. The silence is deafening from them in regards to our program.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know when Justin gave him these quotes or what context they were in but to say we're being out-recruited by N.C., Kentucky, Duke, etc. is absolutely false. I don't give much recruiting news but it needs to be known that we are all in on Jayson.

And Strauss is an idiot. Point blank.

Ho hum....fluff piece. The only part of interest is Coach Tatum's comments. I find it a positive that he's "pushing SLU". Good stuff, I'm sure our staff will visit, watch and recruit at the maximum level allowed by NCAA regulations.

Another pay per view article, so thanks for the summary. I gather it was critical of JC that we aren't showing enough interest in JT. I'd be disappointed if this is fact, but it also begs the question how much interest he's showing in SLU. One would think that with CC on the staff we'd have a plus since he'd be receiving coaching from a 12 year NBA vet getting him ready for his move up after one year. From the Torch's summary it also sounds like Dad is disappointed in SLU's efforts. If we're not at least matching the biggies efforts shame on us since we have a real cost advantage here, ie travel expenses. You also have to wonder if dad isn't angling for something here, ie a job at the college level. It wouldn't be the first time, and it's legal. Good to hear DaLove's positive comments, but we're up against the elite of the elites here. We've seen how that has gone in the past, and as Torch pointed out if we put all our eggs into the JT basket what players might we end up losing. I do think it's very naive on Strauss's part to assume we don't recruit good players in our neighborhood, but if these kids want to leave the neighborhood there's little we can do to keep them from doing so.

Sounds like Justin is setting up the storyline that when Jayson goes out of state it will be the SLU/Mizzou's fault, not Jayson Tatum's.

I know the coaches flew out to Sacramento to see Tatum, among others, so I'm not exactly sure why Justin is saying these things.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but those quotes were really odd.

The article was in the print edition so not sure why it was pay for view - are all the on line stuff pay for view now?

It just so happens I was talking to an old friend who is in the Missouri H.S. Basketball coach HOF and he told me that he knows personally that RM wanted Tyler Griffey very badly and was disappointed when he choose IL. So, to say we do not recruit local kids at all is just crazy. We did want Harrellson but he wanted KY even after he told Soderberg he was coming to SLU so clearly we worked him hard. The TL and KL reference made no sense to me - they were not being recruited by RM - they were already on the team.

My take away from the article was that if a coach is not fawning and begging a local kid to come to either SLU or Missouri then both schools are not pushing hard enough for local kids - that is just silly and honestly demeaning. Those out state schools he noted fly in and fly out and flash their fancy rings and names and the kids go goo goo over it - who wouldn't. The point is how much ass kissing is enough for us to be seen as working hard. I get a kick out of the articles printed like the last on Jayson T - all the big coaches were there and named and at the end we get a "and SLU had a coach there" kind of statement - so if all the media guys think we are an after thought why would the kids not think that? - you do that enough and then it becomes a reality. If they really want us to work the local kids hard then they should list us first - you can not have it both ways.

I would however say that just offering a kid first is not necessarily working hard for the kid - you can offer but if you do not work him hard then the offer means nothing so Justin T may have been referencing something like that - who knows.

I also find it hard to believe that if a local kid of big talent shows any interest in SLU that we just ignore it - makes no sense. Strauss is a bomb thrower - he likes to blow things up with his comments and then watch the debris getting kicked about. I have little use for his articles whether about us or the Cardinals or Rams or Blues. Remember - RM always said, the worse thing that can happen in recruiting is to come in second. I have no problem with assessing an interest a kid has and making a calculated decision as where to spend your time - after all time is not unlimited.

Below is a link to the Tatum interview on 920 that Strauss got all his quotes from. Click on Justin Tatum when you get to this page:

http://www.insidestl...Home-50714.aspx

Regarding Strauss' article, I'm sympathetic to the premise that both SLU and Mizzou need to recruit better locally but there were blatant factual mistakes (at least in the print version). Strauss says Tatum will be a senior next year. The truth is he will be a junior. Strauss also says that David Lee played at John Burroughs. Huh?

I will say that if you listen to the interview there is plenty of good to take from Justin's comments. Whatever you want to believe, and especially if you disagree with Justin's take on SLU's recruiting, you have to respect the opinion of the father of our highest profile recruit and SLU coaches should be trying to make sure he's happy with our current level of effort. If he isn't, you need to step up the efforts even further.

The article was in the print edition so not sure why it was pay for view - are all the on line stuff pay for view now?

The Post now has select articles on-line that are ppv. They are available for free to print subscribers.

For all the mocking people have done of the Post business model in the past (i.e. why do they give away on-line a product they are trying to sell via print) it seems like it makes sense to turn some of that product into something they can get paid for.

our name isn't even listed as recruiting him on various websites. they probably assume we have no chance

Yeah. They always seem to downplay SLU but here is an article from today where Tatum names SLU, again.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/duke-kentucky-north-carolina-st-louis-recruiting-jayson-tatum/

“Most recent schools I have heard from are Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, St. Louis,” Tatum said. “I (also) heard from Michigan State, Kansas, Florida, Illinois.”

Some on here who seem to know what's going on w/ SLU's recruitment of JT, say we are doing all we can to land him. I'm assuming that means we're staying in touch via mobile, going to his summer tournaments,, etc. I'm sure the elites are doing the same, so what's the more Strauss is suggesting SLU do and still stay within the rules of recruiting? As for Beals, Lee, McLemore et al, it's been made pretty clear that they never expressed an interest in playing for SLU. Evidently, JT has not spurned us up to this point, so that's a good sign. But in the end he'll play for the program that most meets his needs, whatever they may be.

Once again, it would be nice if the post sports staff included someone who actually follows basketball like Earl Austin or Frank Cusamano...

Strauss follows basketball. A lot of A10 basketball even. He went to VCU. The fact that he's a troll that is iffy on factual evidence is the problem.

This is one of those beat to death things.

SLU had Rick Majerus, who was a better coach than anyone at BCCC, and some local talent didn't want to play for him. It happens. Yeah, it sucks to lose on guys like Lee and Beal, but Rick got guys that ended up being pretty good. Jim Crews is charged with extending that momentum.

You guys are ignoring some of Tatum's quotes. He's at as many of his son's games as possible. If he says other schools are there more than SLU, its the truth. And like he said, he cant push for SLU if they arent pushing harder for his son. If those are direct quotes, why twist the words. He doesn't have to say anything of push for SLU at all, especially if some of you are going to call him a liar

You guys are ignoring some of Tatum's quotes. He's at as many of his son's games as possible. If he says other schools are there more than SLU, its the truth. And like he said, he cant push for SLU if they arent pushing harder for his son. If those are direct quotes, why twist the words. He doesn't have to say anything of push for SLU at all, especially if some of you are going to call him a liar

Most of us heard the interview at one time or another. It's about a perception. If recruits (and their families) don't think a school is paying them enough attention, they're going to go somewhere else.

Exactly. Doesn't matter if Strauss is an idiot. The quotes from the kid's dad are alarming. If the kid's father doesn't feel SLU is showing enough interest, whether SLU feels they are "all in" or not is irrelevant. The fact that Justin is going public and point blank saying that he wants his kid at SLU is encouraging. He's saying we still have a chance.

SLU needs to be "all in" plus some.

Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying

Anyone think that this "situation" will resolve somewhat now that we only have three total open scholarships vs the six we had to fill (plus Welmer) coming into this season? We had a huge class to sign, so it wouldn't surprise me if we missed some of Jayson's sophomore year games and practices. Now is the time, though. With only one scholarship for '15 and two for '16 we have to focus on him as much as is legal. If these comments are still being made in December, then we have a problem.

There were more factual and contextual problems with this article than just the mind boggling error that he thinks FBJT is going to be a senior. Strauss stated that there are three division one schools in the state of Missouri; actually there are five, as he completely whiffed on SEMO and UMKC. I am sure he would try to shrug that blatant error off by saying that those schools are low D-1 so they don't count. However, a couple of paragraphs down the line he makes a big deal about that fact that there were 18 D-1 recruits in the state and only one of those (our own Austin Gillman) signed with SLU or Mizzou. A considerable number of the 18 (maybe someone on here could come up with the exact amount) were low D-1 recruits. You can't play fast and loose with the facts, in addition to completely erroneous statements, and expect anyone to take you seriously. The fact that their hotshot provocateur can't even fact check his article enough to prevent making a complete ass of himself is indicative of the state of the P-D right now. I actually like a lot of Joe's columns and don't mind the snarkiness, and I didn't mind the premise of the article, but it is so poorly done that he loses all credibility.

There were more factual and contextual problems with this article than just the mind boggling error that he thinks FBJT is going to be a senior. Strauss stated that there are three division one schools in the state of Missouri; actually there are five, as he completely whiffed on SEMO and UMKC. I am sure he would try to shrug that blatant error off by saying that those schools are low D-1 so they don't count. However, a couple of paragraphs down the line he makes a big deal about that fact that there were 18 D-1 recruits in the state and only one of those (our own Austin Gillman) signed with SLU or Mizzou. A considerable number of the 18 (maybe someone on here could come up with the exact amount) were low D-1 recruits. You can't play fast and loose with the facts, in addition to completely erroneous statements, and expect anyone to take you seriously. The fact that their hotshot provocateur can't even fact check his article enough to prevent making a complete ass of himself is indicative of the state of the P-D right now. I actually like a lot of Joe's columns and don't mind the snarkiness, and I didn't mind the premise of the article, but it is so poorly done that he loses all credibility.

Apparently Strauss doesn't know how to use Google.

Man it's hard for a casual, unconnected fan to see through all the smoke. I don't think I'd be losing any sleep over it though. Hell, I'd support a good, local kid even if they went to Rolla and played pro for the Grizzlies. I don't know if I can go any further than that though.

That having been said: Yeah Jay, be cool. Go to the home school. Guys like you are the closest we fans here in the Lou can get to the big time.

I'm not sure how much contact SLU is having with this kid - but if we don't have a constant presence at his games and through calls/texts, then that needs to change immediately. But with that said, I think Strauss' article gives the impression that we're in bad shape with this kid, which is definitely not true.