GG says Bills will surprise

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is StlToday kidding? I enjoy keeping up with news from my old hometown to a point. Paying to do it is way past that point. Get serious, you are not the PD I grew up with. Goodbye.

I got thru most of it in between those irritating pop ups. No real wow effect here. GG expressing his thoughts on how he progressed. The usual player talk I made strides things I need to work on. As for the we will surprise some folks, he's pretty high on what he's seen from the incoming FR. Not sure what he's basing that on, unless they've been coming to SLU on the weekends and working out w/ the team. Have any of them landed on campus yet? I'd doubt it since most HS graduations are still a few weeks away. Again, no new revelations. Just what you'd expect from a returning SR, since you know they're not going to say, "we're really gonna be bad next year." Which I don't think they will either.

I got thru most of it in between those irritating pop ups. No real wow effect here. GG expressing his thoughts on how he progressed. The usual player talk I made strides things I need to work on. As for the we will surprise some folks, he's pretty high on what he's seen from the incoming FR. Not sure what he's basing that on, unless they've been coming to SLU on the weekends and working out w/ the team. Have any of them landed on campus yet? I'd doubt it since most HS graduations are still a few weeks away. Again, no new revelations. Just what you'd expect from a returning SR, since you know they're not going to say, "we're really gonna be bad next year." Which I don't think they will either.

The returning players are very high on the incoming freshmen. That is for sure.

Again, no new revelations. Just what you'd expect from a returning SR, since you know they're not going to say, "we're really gonna be bad next year."

Exactly, this is the same company line being delivered by hundreds of college athletes across the country. It's a non-story, and it says a lot about the Post Dispatch that they're charging for it.

Exactly, this is the same company line being delivered by hundreds of college athletes across the country. It's a non-story, and it says a lot about the Post Dispatch that they're charging for it.

While I totally agree with your point about the Post trying to make this into a story and then charge for it on top, every year I ask the players about the incoming frosh and this is definitely the most excited I have seen them. Obviously, every year, they say they are excited for the next year and excited to see what the freshmen bring, but this year they just seem to be much more informed on the incoming players and much more anxious to get them on campus which is beginning to happen now. This may in part be due to having such a large recruiting class, but I think there is a feeling that several of the freshmen will contribute early and become an integral part of the team. My only regret is that it's not November yet...

My only regret is that it's not November yet...

Alumni Fan, I've got the impression you're about my age and the last thing we want in our lives is for time to speed up. It moves fast enough these days, and hoops season will be here before you can say, "wow, how did summer go by so fast?" :o

Alumni Fan, I've got the impression you're about my age and the last thing we want in our lives is for time to speed up. It moves fast enough these days, and hoops season will be here before you can say, "wow, how did summer go by so fast?" :o

Yes, time certainly does fly, but I will still be happy when November gets here. By the way, I am not sure of your age, but I am in my 40s.

Yeah, and early last season GG said he would be grabbing double digit rebounds every game...

He acknowledged that in the interview - said he got ahead of himself after his hot start.

I was supposed to be that energy guy, that's why I played, and I kind of got confused at certain points in the season because there were certain things I'd worked on and I thought I could showcase them but we don't really need that right now because we've got guys on the team that can do it better than you anyway.

Yes, time certainly does fly, but I will still be happy when November gets here. By the way, I am not sure of your age, but I am in my 40s.

Wow, I'd have bet you were at least 20 years out of your 40s. Hard to believe we're in the same age group......

Oh, then you're just a tot. Sorry about aging you. But at 40 you've probably already got a sense of how time starts to speed up after 30. Trust me it speeds up exponentially w/ every passing decade. My sage advice, smell the roses.

While I totally agree with your point about the Post trying to make this into a story and then charge for it on top, every year I ask the players about the incoming frosh and this is definitely the most excited I have seen them. Obviously, every year, they say they are excited for the next year and excited to see what the freshmen bring, but this year they just seem to be much more informed on the incoming players and much more anxious to get them on campus which is beginning to happen now. This may in part be due to having such a large recruiting class, but I think there is a feeling that several of the freshmen will contribute early and become an integral part of the team. My only regret is that it's not November yet...

Last year at this time, our now graduating Seniors (RL, MM, JJ, DE and JB) knew that our incoming Frosh (TL, RA and MC), at best, would supplement our Seniors/upperclassmen and provide them with a few minutes. This year, our Seniors (GG and JM) and upperclassmen are looking to the six (6) incoming Frosh to fill large holes, become key players and help them (GG and JM) carry the team b/c GG and JM (while we hope they come back and have monster final seasons for us) have not yet shown the ability to do any heavy lifting. If I were a member of the SLU's Seniors/upperclassmen, I too would be excited for the incoming Frosh and I too would be rolling out the red carpet for the incoming Frosh -- some of whom will need to do some heavy lifting for us to be successful this year.

I think that every one of our recruits, particularly the guards and MY, had lengthy times of intense play with the team on their visits. The returning players really got a sense of the quality of these young men and thier abilities on the court. They have also connected with the new guys who seem to be compatible with our team. So it would be natural for them to be excited and optimistic. Let's hope they are right!

Wow, I'd have bet you were at least 20 years out of your 40s. Hard to believe we're in the same age group......

Apparently AF has reached an age where you are prone to first - participate in OT threads, but then turn around and make a disingenuous plea to the mods to lock OT threads... and then after the fake outrage, continue to comment on the topic of the OT thread. ;)

Apparently AF has reached an age where you are prone to first - participate in OT threads, but then turn around and make a disingenuous plea to the mods to lock OT threads... and then after the fake outrage, continue to comment on the topic of the OT thread. ;)

Well, if anything proved my point, the above just did.

:rolleyes:

I'll say this -- not having seen most of the new guys in person, at all (sorry if I broke the golder rule, but I do know how to use Youtube)-- I do believe we will be pretty good next year. I've heard excellent reports on the newcomers, really a talented group, possibly the best ever in my time at SLU (sorry to KM BC and the rest);

I'll go out on a limb here: I'd be surprised if we fall out of the top 3 in conference; and I am expecting another bid to the Dance. yes, pretty early for all that. but excellent talent and good, hard work have a funny way of helping teams, generally in all sports... that's 40 years of experience talking!

I'll say this -- not having seen most of the new guys in person, at all (sorry if I broke the golder rule, but I do know how to use Youtube)-- I do believe we will be pretty good next year. I've heard excellent reports on the newcomers, really a talented group, possibly the best ever in my time at SLU (sorry to KM BC and the rest);

I'll go out on a limb here: I'd be surprised if we fall out of the top 3 in conference; and I am expecting another bid to the Dance. yes, pretty early for all that. but excellent talent and good, hard work have a funny way of helping teams, generally in all sports... that's 40 years of experience talking!

+100

People expect a down year but I believe we will be right there in the hunt to make another tournament. Young team but more talented than past seasons.

+100

People expect a down year but I believe we will be right there in the hunt to make another tournament. Young team but more talented than past seasons.

There's more talent in the locker room than ever for SLU. Now it's time for Coach Crews and his staff to make them a team. His predecessor did OK with less talent than we have right now.

+100

If Ash can make an impact like Jordan Sibert and if one of our upperclassman has a Conklin summer and if the sophomore class (which I think may be the biggest key to the season) emerge as core contributers and if one of the newcomers becomes one of the top freshman in the conference and if a couple of the other freshmen become reliable role players than I think a trip to the Big Dance is possible. Not impossible, but that is a lot of "ifs." More likely, I am expecting a CBI team, that gains a great deal of experience, improves during the season and is well-positioned to get back on top of the A-10 in 2015-16.