Recruiting - Past and Present

ACE

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thought on the recruitment of JT, no matter where he signs it isn't going to amount to a hill of beans whoever lands him if he's a true one and done. Duke, they've had their fair share and had the best FR this year. Did they win the crown? No. Did that prevent them from landing the # 1 class this year? No. Whether they get JT for one year, things will not change at Duke. Oh, he may give them an improved chance at a title, but that's all. Duke will still be Duke, a BB giant. Now, let's look at SLU. Will we win the crown with him in the lineup? Improves our chances, but still unlikely as compared to say a Duke or KY. So, we have him for a year, we make the dance, and have an outside shot at the final 4. But even if we did win it all, is that going to change our recruiting status all that much? No. Would suddenly all the 4 and 5 stars be clamoring to come to SLU? Not very likely. What happened after the Legend left us after a year? Did guys like Lee, Beals, etc want to come to SLU? Again, the answer is no. Yes, both Duke and SLU would have nice seasons if they landed JT, but would that change the recruiting landscape going forward for both schools? Nope, same old same old.

One thought on the recruitment of JT, no matter where he signs it isn't going to amount to a hill of beans whoever lands him if he's a true one and done. Duke, they've had their fair share and had the best FR this year. Did they win the crown? No. Did that prevent them from landing the # 1 class this year? No. Whether they get JT for one year, things will not change at Duke. Oh, he may give them an improved chance at a title, but that's all. Duke will still be Duke, a BB giant. Now, let's look at SLU. Will we win the crown with him in the lineup? Improves our chances, but still unlikely as compared to say a Duke or KY. So, we have him for a year, we make the dance, and have an outside shot at the final 4. But even if we did win it all, is that going to change our recruiting status all that much? No. Would suddenly all the 4 and 5 stars be clamoring to come to SLU? Not very likely. What happened after the Legend left us after a year? Did guys like Lee, Beals, etc want to come to SLU? Again, the answer is no. Yes, both Duke and SLU would have nice seasons if they landed JT, but would that change the recruiting landscape going forward for both schools? Nope, same old same old.

There's so much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to begin.

1.) A final four run would definitely help with recruitment. If you don't think it would, then what would?

2.) It's impossible to say whether or not landing Tatum would help us land other local studs in the future. But, we do know that the local class for 2016 is loaded, and I'd be willing to bet if we get Tatum we will get one of the other local guys in that class as well. Also, using Lee and Beal as an example is dumb considering the position our program is in now compared to where it was when those guys were coming out of high school.

First, I'd be ecstatic if JT chose SLU. My point was, however, I don't think his coming to SLU would impact our recruiting all that much going forward after a one and done season. Now If he stayed for 2 or 3 years, I believe it would, as having great players tends to attract other great players. Spoon wasn't able to deliver any big time players after Hughes' one night stand. But I do recall that Justin Love committed to SLU after Hughes briefly indicated he was coming back for a second season. Luckily for us, JL lived up to his commitment. So, yes if JT signs he might pull in other local talents with him, as did Hughes w/ Baniak and Justin Tatum. But after one year here, I don't see where that's going to have that big an impact on future recruiting. Granted, a final four run would move the needle forward.