Recruiting - Past and Present

ACE

Jayson Tatum can go where he chooses. SLU is a good choice among many others for him but if he goes elsewhere it will not hurt us since talent pool for SLU is much better than it was 3 years ago thanks to BC, KM, CE, CR, RL, DE, JJ, MM, JB, and many others. I expect that trend to continue. It is exciting to see so many D1 options available for players now. Hey, UConn turned out to be the best team overall this past season so anything is possible.

Potential one and dones (not saying Tatum is that yet) have the option of going to a program where they can shine but be in contention all season or going to the Kentucky type factory where you basically have to do it in one season because the next year there is another stud coming in to take your minutes if you cannot get on the draft board. Did not see too many guys fighting to go to UConn last year but they will now!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Duke, UNC, Illinois, St. Louis, Kentucky, Wake Forest and Michigan State are showing the most interest, Tatum said.

Tatum says that schools staying in touch is key for making a good impression.

Whoever calls the most, Tatum said. Whoever stops by the school, keeps in touch really makes a good impression.

-not sure the source but trust that our staff knows how FBJT wants his recruitment handled and we will be as obvious as the rules will allow, and regularly send flowers and candy to mom and grandma!!! ;)

-not sure the source but trust that our staff knows how FBJT wants his recruitment handled and we will be as obvious as the rules will allow, and regularly send flowers and candy to mom and grandma!!! ;)

Yup, I'm sure they're on top of things. It's going to be an uphill climb, though: a lot of these one-and-done-caliber players aren't overly concerned with staying close to home, as they plan to be in the NBA in a year. But Tatum is close to his parents, and he cares about academics. So we need to get in with his parents and flip the tables a little bit - instead of his one year in college being just a blip on the radar, we need to emphasize how special it will be for his parents to be able to watch him play in his one and only year of college basketball, before he's jetting around in the NBA. Focusing on the academics and academic history of SLU wouldn't hurt, either. And then we can throw in all that stuff about how he'll be a program-changing player (particularly as we look towards the Big East), and will be the face of the program's success for years to come. He could really be a big deal for SLU and the St. Louis community. (And, of course, none of this would be true at Duke or UNC or Kentucky or MSU.)

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't CC be a huge advantage for us? Wouldn't Tatum play the same position as CC did in the NBA? If He goes to Duke or UK, he's going to be just one among equals. Look at UK this year, only 2 of their 5 Mickey D's will declare, when it was expected they had at least 5 or 6 that would be 1st rounders. Now, if you were one of the 4 that are staying, don't you think had you been the only super FR on a team, you would have stood out more and enhanced your shot to be a 1st rounder?

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't CC be a huge advantage for us? Wouldn't Tatum play the same position as CC did in the NBA? If He goes to Duke or UK, he's going to be just one among equals. Look at UK this year, only 2 of their 5 Mickey D's will declare, when it was expected they had at least 5 or 6 that would be 1st rounders. Now, if you were one of the 4 that are staying, don't you think had you been the only super FR on a team, you would have stood out more and enhanced your shot to be a 1st rounder?

I agree with all of this, but I have a hard time seeing us holding onto CC until then. He was one of 2 finalists for the IUPUI head coaching job this year. Every year of experience he gains as an assistant makes him more desirable as a head coach somewhere or as an assistant at a high major program.

It is interesting that some are ripping our only other one and done player on another thread and considering him not to be a true Billiken, yet we are trying to roll out the red carpet for another probably one and done player who happens to be his god son.

It is interesting that some are ripping our only other one and done player on another thread and considering him not to be a true Billiken, yet we are trying to roll out the red carpet for another probably one and done player who happens to be his god son.

welcome back.

Glad to have you back! Just a quick point and a question.

When you say some are ripping on LH, let remember that it is a very small number, maybe 2 or 3 posters, hardly a majority of Billikens.com regular posters.

Regarding your post, what does it mean when you line through everything you wrote?

I had no idea where the line came from. Not quite computer savvy to remove it. in my next post and poof, the line is gone. I know it was just a few posters, but it was a few too many for my taste.

Another question for you. Have you been quietly hanging around or did you move on to other things the past couple of years? We miss the streets talking to us!

I had no idea where the line came from. Not quite computer savvy to remove it. in my next post and poof, the line is gone. I know it was just a few posters, but it was a few too many for my taste.

Welcome back!!!

In regards to Larry, he didn't steal a candy bar, he was questioned in a rape. Even if it appears he has been cleared of any legal wrong doing, being in that situation was highly irresponsible for a public figure much less a represenative of SLU and Billikens basketball. But I digress, if ripping Larry gets you back to posting on the board I'll start a new thread doing so everyday.

Davell Roby named to the Rivals 247. Thus, he's our highest rated recruit for this year - at least according to one source.

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

If we hadn't passed on Darius Austin of Cahokia, he'd be our highest recruit at 209!

Lot of names we discussed early in the recruiting process but didn't land are in the 100-200 range: Larry Austin, Kelan Martin, J.P. Macura, Jordan Barnett, etc.

I roll out the red carpet for PDiddy...word on the streets is that he's a hall of fame Billikens.com poster (perhaps THE hall of fame poster), and his commentary is always spot on...case in point, the rips on Larry Hughes vs. the salivating over Justin Tatum. Welcome back!

Davell Roby named to the Rivals 247. Thus, he's our highest rated recruit for this year - at least according to one source.

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

only white dude in the top 50 is a foreign 7-footer at #36. after that, at #53, a ginger named tee-jay going to brigham young.

sad time to be a white basketball player...

this guy gives me hope though. #84. white as fuok.

http://247sports.com/Player/Riley-Norris-21999

only white dude in the top 50 is a foreign 7-footer at #36. after that, at #53, a ginger named tee-jay going to brigham young.

You don't get more white than this kid. Dickey 2.0.

http://247sports.com/Player/Riley-LaChance-16432

Of course Duke is optimistic about Tatum - they would not be able to conceive that they would lose him to a SLU and as far as the other schools go Duke has to be putting on a happy face to keep the others from smelling blood in the water.

Dude what? I only mentioned that Duke is optimistic because, in the few years I've had some connection to their recruiting, they've been remarkably accurate in their "feelings" on recruits. (The one noteworthy miss that comes to mind is Shabazz Muhammad. I've heard a lot about Harrison Barnes, too, but his recruitment was before I got involved.) If they're feeling optimistic about a recruit, there's probably reason for it. (Though, again, it's still very early in the game.)

Need to stick to baseball, hockey, golf, lacrosse, boring soccer, long distance running for white guys in USA.

Also, we tried Australia... SLU should recruit some Eastern European bigs, Serbia, Croatia, that part of the world; big tall muscular bad asses.

Dude what? I only mentioned that Duke is optimistic because, in the few years I've had some connection to their recruiting, they've been remarkably accurate in their "feelings" on recruits. (The one noteworthy miss that comes to mind is Shabazz Muhammad. I've heard a lot about Harrison Barnes, too, but his recruitment was before I got involved.) If they're feeling optimistic about a recruit, there's probably reason for it. (Though, again, it's still very early in the game.)

Did you attend Duke?

Dude chill out - it was not an attack on you just a comment that of course they would be optimistic.