OT: Billikens in Business

I always find it interesting to see our fellow Billikens making names for themselves in the business world. I often think SLU could stand to do a better job of promoting our successful alums. Here are just a few prominent Billikens:

Richard Chaifetz - We know him, we love him: http://www.chaifetzgroup.com/team/dr-richard-a-chaifetz

Dave Senay - President and CEO of Fleishman Hillard: http://fleishmanhillard.com/profile/dave-senay/

Michael Bidwill - President of the Arizona Cardinals: http://www.azcardinals.com/team/staff/michael-bidwill/61a8f54f-126b-42db-8d51-78e54b8b0288

Rex Sinquefield - Founder of Dimensional Fund Advisors: http://www.rexsinquefield.org/about-rex-sinquefield/

Chris Sommers - Owner of the Pi Pizzeria chain, Gringo, Sqwid: http://www.feaststl.com/dine-out/one-on-one/article_0479e032-bf0e-11e1-ae90-0019bb30f31a.html

Wes Clayton & Brian Nottingham - Founders of ShipWorks: http://www.shipworks.com/company/about.php

Matthew Porter - Co-Founder and CEO of Contegix: http://www.contegix.com/why-contegix/leadership/

Feel free to add to the list!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least two Busches were in my old man's classes. I'll have to think up other important non-Busches.

There are several high-level lawyers in town who actually stayed here for law school.

BTW, Box, you doubled up the Feast link above and gave Chris S. ShipWorks as well.

At least two Busches were in my old man's classes. I'll have to think up other important non-Busches.

There are several high-level lawyers in town who actually stayed here for law school.

BTW, Box, you doubled up the Feast link above and gave Chris S. ShipWorks as well.

Fixed it - thanks.

AB IV was supposedly in the MBA program at the same time as me, and I believe he finished his undergrad degree at SLU as well.

Fixed it - thanks.

AB IV was supposedly in the MBA program at the same time as me, and I believe he finished his undergrad degree at SLU as well.

Yep. He was an undergrad classmate of mine. Always seemed to get the primo parking place...in the no parking zone.

Rex Sinquefield is an amazing person that went from an orphanage to the pinnacle of the investment management world. His early work at the University of Chicago (MBA) is very well regarded. However, his establishment via his work with French and Fama of the DFA Funds is known and respected worldwide. For a guy who came from nothing to pull himself up as Rex did is phenomenal and SLU is very fortunate to count him as an alumnus. Moreover, his philanthropic efforts, while not that well known, are very substantial. The JCSB also gave him one of the top alumni awards and he is in very good company in that regard. I am a big fan of Rex even though I disagree with some of his positions on market efficiency and am proud to call him a fellow alumnus.

Rex Sinquefield is an amazing person that went from an orphanage to the pinnacle of the investment management world. His early work at the University of Chicago (MBA) is very well regarded. However, his establishment via his work with French and Fama of the DFA Funds is known and respected worldwide. For a guy who came from nothing to pull himself up as Rex did is phenomenal and SLU is very fortunate to count him as an alumnus. Moreover, his philanthropic efforts, while not that well known, are very substantial. The JCSB also gave him one of the top alumni awards and he is in very good company in that regard. I am a big fan of Rex even though I disagree with some of his positions on market efficiency and am proud to call him a fellow alumnus.

I work with DFA alot. Rex is obviously very well revered at that company. You can thank him and David booth for index funds. David is a Kansas grad. You would remember david as the guy from the 30 for 30 who purchased the rules of basketball and gave them to KU.

Obviously Rex and Dfa have done incredible things for retail investors. I disagree with some of his recent political stances. Those led to him stepping down from the DFA board last year.

I agree with your stance on market efficiency, DFA has gotten away from index funds because of that theory

I can't resist. If you believe buying every politician to advocate your political agenda then Rex is your man. If you really believe that cutting Missouri's already low income tax is good for the state then Rex is your man. I think people like Rex are very dangerous.

I can't resist. If you believe buying every politician to advocate your political agenda then Rex is your man. If you really believe that cutting Missouri's already low income tax is good for the state then Rex is your man. I think people like Rex are very dangerous.

I think you just described a LOT of very wealthy people (e.g. George Soros).

There are pluses and minuses to our state income tax. The thing is if you cut it you better have a plan to generate revenue to make up the difference. MO is already a low service state. I would perfer that we don't become like some of our southern neighbors. Not that I want to become CA or Il either.

I guess everyone should ignore Rex's contributions to charity and educational endeavors? Since he's so dangerous and all.

Rex Sinquefield...Austin McBroom it's hard to tell the difference...

One of them has a big Jesus tattoo on his shoulder. Other than that...identical!

I'd say self-made billionaires - even those whose politics I disagree with - are pretty impressive to have as alumni.

Anyway, here's a re-post of an article about Chaifetz helping fund SLU grad Robin Rath's startup, PixelPress: http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/blog/biznext/2014/03/pixel-press-adds-to-latest-financing-round.html

Sounds like a very cool business idea.

Wow! That I did not know. His CFO went to SLU for undergrad. Stiritz is a very, very bright guy.

I did not know that either.

Mr. Stiritz received a BS from Northwestern University and an MA from St. Louis University.

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=201655&ticker=POST

There are pluses and minuses to are state income tax. The thing is if you cut it you better have a plan to generate rate revenue to make up the difference. MO is already a low service state. I would perfer that we don't become like some of our southern neighbors. Not that I want to become CA or Il either.

Agree

I think you just described a LOT of very wealthy people (e.g. George Soros).

Is Soros a SLU grad???

This might set the all time record for most randomly irrelevant use of the "but your side does it too" defense.

Sinquefield resigned from the board to pursue his campaign of political scorched earth. A real shame, but it's a choice he made and that people have every right to consider when evaluating his legacy and impact on this community.

I'd say self-made billionaires - even those whose politics I disagree with - are pretty impressive to have as alumni.

Hahaha. So much for that "higher purpose, greater good" stuff, huh? If you make a beeeelion dollars, who cares about anything else?

Hahaha. So much for that "higher purpose, greater good" stuff, huh? If you make a beeeelion dollars, who cares about anything else?

I am not exactly a Rex fan, but if you step away from the politics the guy has done some good things.