UConn as Champ

Two things, I'm sure its forgotten but St. Joes was 1 rebound away from beating UConn in the first round.

Now the game tonight. I didn't watch it, had to work. If I could have watched it i wouldn't have. No two more disdainful teams in the NCAA. I would have rather watched a Lute Olson Arizona team somehow play a Frank Haith Mizzou team before I tuned into this trash. we all know about Kentucky and Calipari. No need to rail on and on. He cheats, UK cheats, their players aren't real student athletes. Despite all that I find UConn more despicable. The one thing about Calipari is he rarely wins. It makes me feel better to see his teams lose, with the players who don't go to class, with the boosters who hand over bags of cash, and a coach that makes Rick Pitino seem respectable. Despite all the advantages UK has, they still have Calipari, the world's worst in game coach, so unless they just have truly overwhelming talent they will always somehow lose.

UConn on the other hand...

4 championships in 15 years. Quite a run. And all done while cheating unabashedly. They have no shame, they don't even try not to get caught. At least the other schools like UK, its just mostly innuendo, rumor, or based on old allegations and sanctions. Everyone knows these other programs cheat but apparently they hire enough people to effectively hide it from the NCAA or their programs boosters can wield their influence more effectively. UConn doesn't care. They cheat and their kids don't go to class. They get punished and they still win.

I know Calhoun isn't there but Ollie played for him, and coached under him. The same things are happening there that were before. they just put a new face on it.

UConn just 2 years ago was ineligible for postseason play because their APR scores were too low. the same kids flunking out of school are still on the team. Unbelievably they were on probation until Feb 21st of this year!!! 6 weeks ago they were on probation and now they are National Champs??? How is that possible? The violations that put them on probation are too numerable to list, improper benefits, too many calls, texts, gifting to coaches and players, players that are now on this team. Then of course Ryan Boatright, a key player in their rotation, who shouldn't have been eligible to play a game of college ball because he accepted money and plane tickets from schools while in HS.

This saddens me as a college basketball fan, the hypocrisy of the NCAA, the sleazes at UConn who's behavior as an athletic department spits in the face of every other member school who does things the right way. I've always feared a BCS type takeover of college basketball but now I believe i would embrace it. Let the UConn's of the world have their own division where they can lie cheat and steal their championships without having to masquerade as a college athletic program.

Two things, I'm sure its forgotten but St. Joes was 1 rebound away from beating UConn in the first round.

Now the game tonight. I didn't watch it, had to work. If I could have watched it i wouldn't have. No two more disdainful teams in the NCAA. I would have rather watched a Lute Olson Arizona team somehow play a Frank Haith Mizzou team before I tuned into this trash. we all know about Kentucky and Calipari. No need to rail on and on. He cheats, UK cheats, their players aren't real student athletes. Despite all that I find UConn more despicable. The one thing about Calipari is he rarely wins. It makes me feel better to see his teams lose, with the players who don't go to class, with the boosters who hand over bags of cash, and a coach that makes Rick Pitino seem respectable. Despite all the advantages UK has, they still have Calipari, the world's worst in game coach, so unless they just have truly overwhelming talent they will always somehow lose.

UConn on the other hand...

4 championships in 15 years. Quite a run. And all done while cheating unabashedly. They have no shame, they don't even try not to get caught. At least the other schools like UK, its just mostly innuendo, rumor, or based on old allegations and sanctions. Everyone knows these other programs cheat but apparently they hire enough people to effectively hide it from the NCAA or their programs boosters can wield their influence more effectively. UConn doesn't care. They cheat and their kids don't go to class. They get punished and they still win.

I know Calhoun isn't there but Ollie played for him, and coached under him. The same things are happening there that were before. they just put a new face on it.

UConn just 2 years ago was ineligible for postseason play because their APR scores were too low. the same kids flunking out of school are still on the team. Unbelievably they were on probation until Feb 21st of this year!!! 6 weeks ago they were on probation and now they are National Champs??? How is that possible? The violations that put them on probation are too numerable to list, improper benefits, too many calls, texts, gifting to coaches and players, players that are now on this team. Then of course Ryan Boatright, a key player in their rotation, who shouldn't have been eligible to play a game of college ball because he accepted money and plane tickets from schools while in HS.

This saddens me as a college basketball fan, the hypocrisy of the NCAA, the sleazes at UConn who's behavior as an athletic department spits in the face of every other member school who does things the right way. I've always feared a BCS type takeover of college basketball but now I believe i would embrace it. Let the UConn's of the world have their own division where they can lie cheat and steal their championships without having to masquerade as a college athletic program.

I'm not much of a UConn fan but in some ways I was glad to see them win last night.

They got absolutely screwed by the NCAA on the APR deal. When UConn had their troubles with kids staying on track to graduate and transferring, the APR was a punishment only designed to limit scholarships. Then the NCAA re-wrote the rules and because of the backwards looking nature of the calculation, it was IMPOSSIBLE for them to be eligible for the NCAA tournament last year (not two years ago as you suggested). It was the closest thing to a death sentence as a college basketball team could get and you had guys like Alex Oriaki transferring out. For them to win the NCAA championship only one year later is pretty amazing.

No team has lost more in conference realignment than UConn. They've gone from being one of the flagship programs of the best basketball league in the country to CUSA2. Talk about a brutal turn of events. There is some poetic justice in the team that nobody wanted winning the national championship while the ACC flopped.

Without Calhoun, its not clear to me that the program will be as dirty as it has been in the past. Only time will tell on that one.

In some ways SLU being really good has ruined the Tourney for me. Once SLU is out, I just simply don't care. I'd rather SLU go to the Final Four than win my bracket pool every year.

Regarding this game. I hate Kentucky. So glad UConn won.

Anytime Calapari loses it's a good thing. His business model makes a mockery of college hoops and, more importantly, the concept that colleges are institutes of higher learning. I know what he does is all legal and within the rules. But just because it's a rule doesn't mean it's a good rule. The real villain is the NBA. They are using tools like Calipari as their farm system, so I'm happy the championship isn't going to an NBDL team.

In some ways SLU being really good has ruined the Tourney for me. Once SLU is out, I just simply don't care. I'd rather SLU go to the Final Four than win my bracket pool every year.

Regarding this game. I hate Kentucky. So glad UConn won.

+1

My feelings exactly

Anytime Calapari loses it's a good thing. His business model makes a mockery of college hoops and, more importantly, the concept that colleges are institutes of higher learning. I know what he does is all legal and within the rules.

At least Calipari wears it. Big time college sports are a joke and Calipari is far from the only offender. At least we don't have to hear the vomit worthy pining of the announcers as they detail how smart one guy on the team is and how that makes the team a great representative of college athletics.

At least Calipari wears it. Big time college sports are a joke and Calipari is far from the only offender. At least we don't have to hear the vomit worthy pining of the announcers as they detail how smart one guy on the team is and how that makes the team a great representative of college athletics.

How many UK players will be in class next week? Let's see; the walkons, probably 3, any hanger on upperclassmen, maybe 4 or 5. The lottery kids will be getting ready for that NBA camp in May.

How many UK players will be in class next week? Let's see; the walkons, probably 3, any hanger on upperclassmen, maybe 4 or 5. The lottery kids will be getting ready for that NBA camp in May.

I am not disagreeing with that. I am just saying that some people make it seem like Calipari is the only coach with teams made up of kids that are far from student athletes. Read the piece on the North Carolina athletic department from Bloomberg.

Just curious on others thoughts on NBA prospect.

Randle certainly has the talent, body and ability, but he will be going up against a bunch of people like himself. I have not seen him much seems like development of him game away from the basket 10-15 feet is needed.

Young I knda think he has the best skill set. He hit some key threes last night and clearly can play inside above and around the basket.

Harrison twins good players how will they do? unlikely to be on the same team. That ought to be new and different for them.

-if things are in such corrupt shape where is the NCAA to investigate UK? is UK too big for the NCAA to tangle with?

-if you want to complain about UK or UConn it seems that starts with the NCAA, if these programs are playing by the rules the NCAA has in place then change the rules

-btw, I would be in favor of changing the rules, but I think that horse is out of the barn and running, perhaps unknowingly, to slaughter

-it was not good for me watching those two teams last night

Yeah, we all lost with that game last night. UConn (a very dirty program under Calhoun, not sure about Ollie) sandwiched its NCAA ban with championships. And Kentucky, the runner-up, is lead by possibly the dirtiest coach in the game. So, yeah, not much to root for there.

Fortunately, Calipari will probably be jumping back to the NBA. And Antigua (dirty Kentucky AC/recruiter) is off to coach USF, hopefully taking World Wide Wes with him. So, knock on wood, UK should be coming back to the pack soon. UConn, we'll see. Seems unlikely they'll be able to keep that talent pipeline open in the AAC, but stranger things have happened.

Yeah, we all lost with that game last night. UConn (a very dirty program under Calhoun, not sure about Ollie) sandwiched its NCAA ban with championships. And Kentucky, the runner-up, is lead by possibly the dirtiest coach in the game. So, yeah, not much to root for there.

Fortunately, Calipari will probably be jumping back to the NBA. And Antigua (dirty Kentucky AC/recruiter) is off to coach USF, hopefully taking World Wide Wes with him. So, knock on wood, UK should be coming back to the pack soon. UConn, we'll see. Seems unlikely they'll be able to keep that talent pipeline open in the AAC, but stranger things have happened.

Calipari isn't even the dirtiest coach at UK. Not even close.

I "watched" all of one minute .... hitting the channel (surprisingly) at halftime and seeing the score. Then I checked it again in the morning for the final. I'm actually more pumped to see Geno and Muffin go at it tonight.

I so hope the rumors of Calipari to coach the Black Mamba are true. Calipari who can't coach and Kobe knowing he knows more. Ought to be a well deserved match on Rodeo Drive.