A10 next year

slu72

We can't look at next year w/o an evaluation of the A10. We lose our whole starting lineup, how about other teams and their situation? One of the strengths of our conference is veteran teams, does anyone have a feel for what other teams will be reloading like us, or which teams are young and upcoming?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't look at next year w/o an evaluation of the A10. We lose our whole starting lineup, how about other teams and their situation? One of the strengths of our conference is veteran teams, does anyone have a feel for what other teams will be reloading like us, or which teams are young and upcoming?

I think like 13 of 15 players named to the all A10 teams were seniors.

The A-10 will be down next year compared to this. More teams are losing good talent than they have returning.

Starting from the top:

VCU will be the clear preseason #1, losing only Reddic and Brandenberg. Good chance to go undefeated in the league despite Shaka's anemic halfcourt offense.

Teams that might improve: Rhode Island to the middle of the pack and Fordham might escape the cellar.

Teams that will be about the same: Duquesne and Richmond

Teams that will somewhat worse: GW and Dayton

Teams that will be much worse: All the rest.

Davidson loses three starters from a team that was not competitive out of conference but dominated the Southern Conference before losing in their tourney. Mizzou beat them by nine in the NIT. Not expecting much from Davidson in '15.

As far as the Bills go, despite Ash, the incoming frosh, and any improvement from the returnees, we won't make the NCAA or NIT. Hopefully, we'll take a CBI invite if one should come our way.

The A-10 will be down next year compared to this. More teams are losing good talent than they have returning.

Starting from the top:

VCU will be the clear preseason #1, losing only Reddic and Brandenberg. Good chance to go undefeated in the league despite Shaka's anemic halfcdourt offense.

Teams that might improve: Rhode Island to the middle of the pack and Fordham might escape the cellar.

Davidson loses three starters from a team that was not competitive out of conference but dominated the Southern Conference before losing in their tourney. Mizzou beat them by nine in the NIT. Not expecting much from Davidson in '15.

As far as the Bills go, despite Ash, the incoming frosh, and any improvement from the returnees, we won't make the NCAA or NIT. Hopefully, we'll take a CBI invite if one should come our way.

strongly disagree with you on SLU next year. NIT at least

Still have one scholarship to fill. If SLU can get a stud JC or prep school kid, I like our chances to be pretty good. I really think we need a ready to start player to come in with that last scholarship. Come on coaching staff, do it!

- Manning has been coming on strong. I think he suprises a lot of folks next year. Glaze has got to have a Conklin summer.

- AY and AM will be a solid, experienced back-court duo.

- TL, MC and RA look promising. I know none of them played very much this year, but with a year in the system, they could make major strides. All three have the incentive of very substantial playing time.

- Our five frosh probably is the highest rated group coming since the Hughes class. One of the bigs and at least one of the guards need to be ready to play a lot.

Still have one scholarship to fill. If SLU can get a stud JC or prep school kid, I like our chances to be pretty good. I really think we need a ready to start player to come in with that last scholarship. Come on coaching staff, do it!

- Manning has been coming on strong. I think he suprises a lot of folks next year. Glaze has got to have a Conklin summer.

- TL, MC and RA look promising. I know none of them played very much this year, but with a year in the system, they could make major strides. All three have the incentive of very substantial playing time.

- Our five frosh probably is the highest rated group coming since the Hughes class. One of the bigs and at least one of the guards need to be ready to play a lot.

Agree on our success next season highly depending on the last scholarship. If Crews can land a big time player with immediate eligibility we can keep the momentum going. He and Cheaney are probably working on it right now as we speak

Agree on our success next season highly depending on the last scholarship. If Crews can land a big time player with immediate eligibility we can keep the momentum going. He and Cheaney are probably working on it right now as we speak

Yup, those guys just grow on trees in the spring signing period.

By the way, we have other assistants that recruit besides just Chaney. Tanner is supposedly pretty good at it.

@billikenbill... Glad to inform you we should finish in the top 5 of A10 and better then 50% chance of making NCAA tournament. The team will be bigger and more athletic. Staff may not have used freshmen much outside of complimentary roles to maintain what had been built to work. But freshmen based on practice observation were the equal and in some cases better then some of the upperclassmen playing bulk of the minutes. You will be pleasantly surprised at what you see next season. Ash and Agbeko are stud offensive players whom should lead in points. Manning is arriving offensively and Tanner and Mike C will shoot long ball very well. McBroom is improving into a solid player. Point guard is a big question mark but hopefully one Reynolds is ahead of the game. Should be a pretty good offensive team; but will have to growup some defensively

I believe next season SLU will have a different system. I believe Crews will institute an up tempo style. I read sometime ago where he mentioned that. The up tempo style may attract better players. So everyone will be at the same place experience wise at the start. However, the defensive system will probably be the same, so the freshmen will be behind on that. I hope the coaching staff teaches a zone as well as a man to man defense.

Ash and Agbeko are stud offensive players whom should lead in points.

Ash averaged 2.9 points a game as a sophomore, is it reasonable to expect him to become a big scorer for us? If Agbeko leads us in scoring I will seriously question why he didn't play at all this season, but injuries could be the obvious answer. Although with what we are losing, everyone will have a chance to compete for substantial roles and the points have to come from somewhere. I am interested to see where the points come from next fall. The recruiting class looks real solid on paper, but not sure any of them are scorers.

Ash averaged 2.9 points a game as a sophomore, is it reasonable to expect him to become a big scorer for us? If Agbeko leads us in scoring I will seriously question why he didn't play at all this season, but injuries could be the obvious answer. Although with what we are losing, everyone will have a chance to compete for substantial roles and the points have to come from somewhere. I am interested to see where the points come from next fall. The recruiting class looks real solid on paper, but not sure any of them are scorers.

If you read any stories on why ash transfered, it said something along the lines like when ash plays at least 15 min he scores over 10ppg. I wanna say he only played that many minutes in just a few games. Which was the reason he left. I fully expect him to play a lot.

I can only go with what I have seen behind closed doors. Ash did average 2.9 but you couldnt expect him to average more if he wasn't given the opportunity to get on the floor as much, but when given time he scored, rebounded, and defended well. Also from what I know, his limited time was based more on personality differences rather then not being able to do what he does.

Same with Agbeko I can only go with what I have seen. He is or will be a big time scorer. Why we didn't see him that much is as good of a question as why we didn't see Crawford yesterday. Only staff can answer that. But I can say Agbeko is on a different level offensively when I have seen the freshmen

I know this is an A10 thread but who says SLU is in the A10 next season? The NBE must be in a panic after their poor showing in the tourny and Buzz leaving for a football school. They may be looking at SLU and Dayton now more closely because of the NCAA success albeit not sustained. 12 gives them an opportunity to get more teams in as well. Just a thought.

Starting from the top:

VCU will be the clear preseason #1, losing only Reddic and Brandenberg. Good chance to go undefeated in the league despite Shaka's anemic halfcourt offense.

strongly disagree with you on SLU next year. NIT at least

Thank you almaman, that was embarrassing. CBI? We won't be back there for a decade, if that. Dynasty in the making. I'm almost expecting a NCAA berth between a 9 and 13 seed. Bookmark it, thank me later.