Crews just not a good gameday coach

SLUDrew

I think Crews did very good job off coaching last night. His foul defense worked great and they fouled the right players. It was Gottfried who did not adjust and let it slip away. BTW: some old-time posters may remember we were interested in Gottfried when Spoon left.

I always evaluate a college coach on 2/3's recruiting and 1/3 game prep and floor coaching. Majerus was a little different because he recruited and developed.

As I recall he did not get the job till last April and maybe he was given very little indications of his return. So he recruited late last year with only Crawford committed from the Fall. I think he salvaged it nicely with Ash, TL and RA. Tanner looks better and better each time out. Only criticism, wish we saw more of him pre-conference. This class looks to be very exciting with some outstanding guards coming in. Also, I have high hopes for Jolly. So on the recruiting end a high incomplete because we really need see how the recruits and Ash work out. Potential is present.

Game prep and floor coaching, results speak for them selves. Won practically everything in the A10 except this years conference tourney. Ranked 13th end of last season and just by playing Louisville it may go up from 24 this Monday. He has the honor, if left today, being the winningest most successful SLU coach I guess since Hickey.

I think we are in good hands.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The lack of playing time our freshman had this year is a hard thing to get used to. We have never been in the position of having such talent that despite being probable studs we have no room for bunch of minutes for the new kids. Since we didn't see a whole lot of them we can not be sure they are the real deal until next year. This is a problem I could get used to really easy. I still think we will, record wise be closer to the last 3 seasons than a lot of my fellow mbm's think. I hope this is the new normal, great recruiting classes spending plenty of pine time watching their elders lead by example. I'm guessing next year's freshman will have a bigger % of the minutes but that is due do us graduating all our starters, not because of the quality of our current underclassmen.

The lack of playing time our freshman had this year is a hard thing to get used to. We have never been in the position of having such talent that despite being probable studs we have no room for bunch of minutes for the new kids. Since we didn't see a whole lot of them we can not be sure they are the real deal until next year. This is a problem I could get used to really easy. I still think we will, record wise be closer to the last 3 seasons than a lot of my fellow mbm's think. I hope this is the new normal, great recruiting classes spending plenty of pine time watching their elders lead by example. I'm guessing next year's freshman will have a bigger % of the minutes but that is due do us graduating all our starters, not because of the quality of our current underclassmen.

Yep, we could easily make the tournament again next year. This is only the beginning of our Billikens becoming a household name.

Last night's game may have set some kind of record for most decisions one coach has ever had to make on the fly. The last five minutes Crews was constantly trying to decide when to use timeouts, when to deploy hack a pack, when to guard straight up, who to put on Warren with Evans and Barnett fouled out, when to press, and our offense. Overall:

1) I had my doubts about Barnett on Warren but Jake was really really good. Made him work for everything.

2) Deciding with three minutes left to extend it early turned out be a great move with their ft shooting

3) Offense for defense with Tanner and Grandy turned out great when Grandy got the steal.

My only complaints:

1) When we cut it to 3 with a hair over a minute left I would have played our straight man in the half court rather than staying in the press but we picked up and Warren ended up with the and 1. With the way the press was going I see why he did it.

2) The turnover in OT we had tanner inbounding to Austin. In that scenario Jett and Mccall have to be the two in the front court coming to get the ball. I would guess he wanted Austin to catch for ft shooting but don't think NC state was going to foul instantly with how much time was left.

3) Up 3 with under 10 seconds to play FOUL!!!! As soon as they crossed half court I would've hacked to keep them from getting a look. Some coaches don't believe in it but numbers support it.

Overall going to hack a pack super early was the key decision in the game and Crews deserves tons of credit. Anytime you have to make that many decisions you're not going to coach a perfect game and when we ran out of timeouts there is only so much coaching you can do.

One of the most impressive in-game showings from any coach I can remember...

Down the stretch he was just outstanding. The willingness to try stuff you don't normally do and are uncomfortable with is hard for any coach. Like I said earlier, loved that I had to eat some crow last night.

Down the stretch he was just outstanding. The willingness to try stuff you don't normally do and are not uncomfortable with is hard for any coach. Like I said earlier, loved that I had to eat some crow last night.

Agreed. My post was written when we were getting destroyed in virtually all facets and I saw Crews doing zilch to stem the tide. The press he designed on the fly was brilliant and certainly was the reason we were able to comeback

The fact that I am not enamored of how he handles a team during the 40 minutes of a game does NOT mean I think he is worthless nor is it an indicator of my "fandom"