Crews just not a good gameday coach

SLUDrew

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I disagree with the OP — but I feel no need to pile on — I don't think it was totally unwarranted, as some of you are insinuating. Was it not made before the Bills made their comeback? It was indeed looking very bleak. I'm sure Drew wouldn't have made such a post once the Bills tied the game.

Awesome plan at the end.

I was pissed at the beginning. I was furious about how little the starting 5 played together in the 1st half. Im pretty sure we didnt see the starting 5 together from the 17 minute mark to about the 4 minute mark. I was saying he should rest 1 at a time not 3.

I like Crews, not sold on him yet, but evwm with a win its ok to question his choices. Some just go over the top.

Awesome plan at the end.

I was pissed at the beginning. I was furious about how little the starting 5 played together in the 1st half. Im pretty sure we didnt see the starting 5 together from the 17 minute mark to about the 4 minute mark. I was saying he should rest 1 at a time not 3.

I like Crews, not sold on him yet, but evwm with a win its ok to question his choices. Some just go over the top.

This

Sweet Jesus, so the bottom line for some on this board is that if you critique anything you are instantly not a fan??? Idiotic?? Give me a break. I said I think he does a good job preparing for games AND I have a lot of respect for his defensive philosophy. Its like I said we have a complete zero running our team.

That comeback was incredible and Crews certainly deserves credit for guiding us to the victory BUT I stand by what I said. Some might like his hands off approach on the sidelines. I prefer a little more tinkering from the head coach especially as it pertains to utilizing timeouts to stem the tide of an opponent going on a sustained run OR adjusting to our opponents defenses.

All I have to say is is switching to that press was like Rocky switching to southpaw in the final round of Rocky II. Criticize Jimmy all you want but the last 4-5 minutes of this game were a thing of beauty. Awesome job.

All I have to say is is switching to that press was like Rocky switching FROM southpaw in the final round of Rocky II. Criticize Jimmy all you want but the last 4-5 minutes of this game were a thing of beauty. Awesome job.

FIFY

FIFY

No he fought right handed the entire fight until final round. Come on man. Either way nc state was surprised and it worked perfectly.

Found the following statements from crews interesting.

"It was really impressive on their part because we never practiced it , St. Louis Coach Jim Crews said. All the credit goes to them. You shouldnt do things you never practice, but we were in a position we had to do that.

Found the following statements from crews interesting.

"It was really impressive on their part because we never practiced it , St. Louis Coach Jim Crews said. All the credit goes to them. You shouldnt do things you never practice, but we were in a position we had to do that.

Do you find it interesting because you want to make your point that his coaching had nothing to do with the victory? If so, that is complete bull . If you have ever listened to him speak, he always gives all credit to the players and never takes any. Make no mistake, the coaching decisions made down the stretch won this game. Many coaches would have just let their team wilt and die. One other thing, the press workes because of the element of surprise. We dont have the personnel to press on a regular basis.

Sweet Jesus, so the bottom line for some on this board is that if you critique anything you are instantly not a fan??? Idiotic?? Give me a break. I said I think he does a good job preparing for games AND I have a lot of respect for his defensive philosophy. Its like I said we have a complete zero running our team.

That comeback was incredible and Crews certainly deserves credit for guiding us to the victory BUT I stand by what I said. Some might like his hands off approach on the sidelines. I prefer a little more tinkering from the head coach especially as it pertains to utilizing timeouts to stem the tide of an opponent going on a sustained run OR adjusting to our opponents defenses.

This an excellent point - anybody that does not gush with positive comments is completely wrong to some on the board. I think it takes much more intellect to be able to look beyond the end result and recognize the warts. Last night was a great comeback and everybody is happy about it but not to wonder about some decisions being made and plays the players made would be just sticking your head in the sand. Could JC calling a time out or two at certain times have made a difference - who knows but it may have stopped the bleeding so we did not have to make a wild comeback. Could he have used a time out in the first half to as he himself said - get he team to stick to the game plan of working the ball inside nstead of just jacking shots up from outside. Would we have needed the press at all that we have never really practiced at the end of the game so was it luck or shrewd coaching - perhaps it was just desperation that luckily worked out this time. Does he utilize his players appropriately on the court and minutes played - this is a more subjective question but not wrong to ask. By the way, I do not put the poor FT shooting on him - that strictly is on the players and having their heads screwed on correctly about shooting them. Not much a coach can do about it once it starts going south - Archie Miller was on Mike and Mike today and he was talking about this and he said that once it gets into their heads there is very little a coach can do other than just be encouraging.

Do you find it interesting because you want to make your point that his coaching had nothing to do with the victory? If so, that is complete bull ######. If you have ever listened to him speak, he always gives all credit to the players and never takes any. Make no mistake, the coaching decisions made down the stretch won this game. Many coaches would have just let their team wilt and die. One other thing, the press workes because of the element of surprise. We dont have the personnel to press on a regular basis.

No, i found it interesting/good that JC was able to draw it up on the fly and the players were able to implement it so effectively without ever having practiced it. Lots of credit all the way around.

I'd like to see the press in spurts more often in the future.

This an excellent point - anybody that does not gush with positive comments is completely wrong to some on the board. I think it takes much more intellect to be able to look beyond the end result and recognize the warts. Last night was a great comeback and everybody is happy about it but not to wonder about some decisions being made and plays the players made would be just sticking your head in the sand. Could JC calling a time out or two at certain times have made a difference - who knows but it may have stopped the bleeding so we did not have to make a wild comeback. Could he have used a time out in the first half to as he himself said - get he team to stick to the game plan of working the ball inside nstead of just jacking shots up from outside. Would we have needed the press at all that we have never really practiced at the end of the game so was it luck or shrewd coaching - perhaps it was just desperation that luckily worked out this time. Does he utilize his players appropriately on the court and minutes played - this is a more subjective question but not wrong to ask. By the way, I do not put the poor FT shooting on him - that strictly is on the players and having their heads screwed on correctly about shooting them. Not much a coach can do about it once it starts going south - Archie Miller was on Mike and Mike today and he was talking about this and he said that once it gets into their heads there is very little a coach can do other than just be encouraging.

There is nothing wrong with a critical post and what you said is reasoned. However to just say "Crews ability to adjust is pathetic" does not seem very reasonable. Just kind of one of those statements you pull out when you don't like the coach. Has not SLU won a ton of close games this year? Wouldn't that be a sign the Coach is good at adjusting?

Is this the same guy who went off on Crews right before we went on the conference season and tourney run last year? The message was then reposted about 8 months later to poke fun at him? If so, he needs to post crazy sh!t like this all the time, so we can get to the Final 4!

Says the guy who has bitched all year about Crews not playing the freshman enough and wearing out the seniors by playing them too many minutes.

Brian, I only ***** because we would be a stronger team today had that been done. What I am not doing like you did is questioning JC's ability to coach in the heat of battle. That is where you and Drew effed up. After a loss maybe that would have made sense.

He can coach, no doubt. He seems to have been able to recruit not just players but coaches, and he negotiated well against Biondi, got a bigger budget added staff including Chaney....

Lets Face it SLU was a setup for an upset. Unlike other five seeds they did not have 4 days to prepare for one team, rather only 46 hours and Jett is not 100%. At the beginning of the game Loe hits his threes, and we do not get the ball inside, when we do it was getting block, altered or we flat out missed. Evans was really bothered by NC States Length. To me that is what led to getting into a hole, not coaching. About 80% of game day coaching occurs at the end of halves and games, he did that well today. Coach coach players make plays, they go hand in hand. This was a team win and that included excellent coaching, Crews defers to players for credit but he deserves some!!

Brian, I only ***** because we would be a stronger team today had that been done. What I am not doing like you did is questioning JC's ability to coach in the heat of battle. That is where you and Drew effed up. After a loss maybe that would have made sense.

Questioning a coach's ability to properly determine who to play, when to play them, and how long to play them is the ultimate form of questioning a coach's in game decision making and his ability to manage his program. It is a far harsher criticism of a coach than anything Drew, I, or anyone else posted last night. The most important thing any coach does is determining who is on the court and when they are on the court.

Plus, you have been wrong all season on that account.