Non SLU GDT thread

brianstl

i started varsity basketball for three years and varsity baseball for four.

i was never cut from any team.

i'm 6'4".

i'm 50/50 with my main bit.ch.

i fuoking HATE duke.

mythbusted.

reality.

+1. Except the baseball part. Mb said foo foo sports don't count.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you hate Duke? You are not from the ACC or that area, correct?

There is a book coming out soon that studied the Duke haters that are not from the ACC, just hate Duke for some unknown reason.

> 90% never played any varsity sport in high school (well real sports, not swimming or other foo foo teams)

> 60% got cut from 2 or more freshman teams

> 60% are 5'8" or shorter

> 80%: wife runs the household

Etc.

Well, read the book, it will be like looking into a mirror for some of you.

Why I hate Duke: Christian Laettner ('thug'), Dahntay Jones ('thug'), JJ Reddick, Quin Snyder, Brian Zoubek ('thug'), Jay Williams (mostly because of his idiocy on ESPN), Bobby Hurley, Gerald Henderson ('thug'), JON SCHEYER, Ryan Kelly, Greg Paulus, Josh McRoberts ('thug'), Wojo, and the Plumlee triplets ('thugs')...I'm sure there are many others. Duke is like the white VCU when it comes to overly demonstrative, completely unnecessary behavior. Slapping the floor, shhshing the crowd, over accentuating fouls, protesting blatant calls...that crap is annoying.

I respect the hell out of Duke and Coach K. I even like many of their players (Battier, Brand, Carrawell, Nolan Smith, Dunleavy, Boozer )...but there's a lot to hate there, too.

And I played varsity basketball, and am 5'10''...but my gf DOES run the household (I'm not stupid)

Duke grad here. Also a Duke basketball fan, and a big Coach K fan. As are all other Duke grads I know.

I understand the Duke hate. We win a lot, and winning itself breeds contempt. It doesn't help that we're also private, have a large endowment ("rich kids"), and tend to have whiter, more privileged players. And, yeah, sometimes K will run his mouth. The Yankees comparison is a decent one.

On the other hand, though, this is college sports, not pro sports. And I think there is something to be said for running a clean program, graduating players, and maintaining some sort of academic standard. I realize that, in some ways, we represent the worst of college sports (huge budgets, entitlement, etc.). But, in other ways, we represent the good side of college sports.

But like I said, I get it. Although it seems to me that if I'm just going to select a random successful, privileged team to hate, there are more worthy candidates out there. (I can think of one right down the road.) Since that doesn't seem likely to happen, though, I'll definitely take hate over apathy.

How many times have I politely written to you lightweights that the A-10 RPI had a malfunction this year.

A statistical anomaly.

Ferris Buehler got into the computer and changed it.

Remember?

I mentioned that in particular U Mass at # 13 was a complete joke, then # 14, #17, # 22, # 24, # 30...six teams in top 30 at one point.

NCAA results:

• (W) Dayton one point at the buzzer win over the # 5 team in The Big Ten, OSU, nice win
  • (L) Our tournament winner St. Joes loses by 9 to # 7 seed, # 3 team in the whatever American Conference, U. Conn
  • (W) SLU nice OT win over NC St., # 6 team in ACC
  • (L) U Mass disgraced by 19 points to tired from their "First Four" game and travel #11 seed Tennessee
  • (L) GW loses by 5 to # 4 in the American Conference or whatever it is called, Memphis
  • (L) VCU disgraced by # 12 seed Stephen F. Austin who TF are they?
2 wins, 4 losses. Glad we were one of the wins, it saved our season.

1-5 ATS.

Oh, and one guy mentioned it, let me put it to you this way: Shaka Smart has < 0.001% chance of coaching at Duke. Ever.

Yes, my PR source went ape on Louisville, usually it is within 1 to 1.5 points of the actual spreads. So shoot me. Take SLU + 9 and let me know your thoughts.

MB if you took my post about Shaka coaching at Duke seriously them you are thicker than Beejay Anya.

Not sure what " the book" is since there is no title or author. But in the most extensive study (Participation in Varsity Intercollegiate Sports at 4 year Colleges) done by the National Center for Educational Statistics it shows the numbers to be very small. Only 5.2% of all High School students go on to play college sports....only 2.2% at Div 1. Not exactly sure what foo-foo includes (the NCES does not define foo -foo) but if we limit the stats to football and basketball you are talking about only .72% for all colleges and .3% for Div 1.....well under 1% and to small a sample size (or to large if you turn it around and study non athletes) to be either of interest or meaningful. This would be the equivalent of a study of hamster owners who love Mercer.

I trust MB will give us the title and author when it is published. Should be an interesting read.

If you don't think Duke cheats, then you are naive. There has to be a reason 2 of the best recruits sign with Duke while Calipari is offering 6 figures. They are just better at hiding it.

As someone who knows a few people involved in the program, I would be very surprised if we're cheating. Now, that doesn't mean some random burger joint owner isn't going to give a basketball player a free meal, or fans on twitter aren't going to tell recruits to choose Duke, but we're absolutely not institutionalizing it. And that's a pretty big distinction.

I also have it on good authority that Calipari is running a fairly clean show now (of course, this was not the case a few years ago). He's hit the level of success now where it's self-sustaining and doesn't need to be bolstered by free shoes, or agent "loans," or whatever else.

Anyway, go Bills. Should be a great game today.

Edit: Re: Tyus and Okafor: Tyus is a longtime fan of Coach K/Duke. He and Okafor were (obviously) serious about playing together, and he ended up swaying Okafor to Duke from Kansas (which made the mistake of not recruiting them as a package deal). Neither one of them was ever seriously considering Kentucky.

Did you think U Mass was # 13 at that point in time, for over a month I believe? Many said they were mid-30's at best, even 40+. The A-10 cracked the code somehow.

I kind of agree with you but you sure are a dick about it.

Its not a hard code to crack. UMASS played a lot of BCS bottom feeders. Since RPI is based partially on opponents strength of schedule UMASS rpi went up as the bottom feeders played the basketball blue bloods.

As for hating Duke its the same thing as hating the Yankees or Notre Dame ffootball. Its over exposure and tje national media forcing them down the nations throat. If you cant figure out why people hate Duke I don't know what to tell ya. I kind of like Duke but I completely understand why so many people don't.

As someone who knows a few people involved in the program, I would be very surprised if we're cheating. Now, that doesn't mean some random burger joint owner isn't going to give a basketball player a free meal, or fans on twitter aren't going to tell recruits to choose Duke, but we're absolutely not institutionalizing it. And that's a pretty big distinction.

I also have it on good authority that Calipari is running a fairly clean show now (of course, this was not the case a few years ago). He's hit the level of success now where it's self-sustaining and doesn't need to be bolstered by free shoes, or agent "loans," or whatever else.

Anyway, go Bills. Should be a great game today.

Edit: Re: Tyus and Okafor: Tyus is a longtime fan of Coach K/Duke. He and Okafor were (obviously) serious about playing together, and he ended up swaying Okafor to Duke from Kansas (which made the mistake of not recruiting them as a package deal). Neither one of them was ever seriously considering Kentucky.

Lance Thomas?