Who stops Warren?

slu72

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WHEN, its not an IF, he beats Jake then the whole defense breaks down. This is not a dig on Barnett but he has no business guarding Warren.

I understand that we don't want to get JJ and DE in foul trouble so you guard against that by setting up a kid to score 40 on you??

Im thinking this made is move for offensive end, now jb and what ever 3 or 4 is guarding him moves out of the lane. We all know at times their 5 will be on the arc just leaving DE and warren for jj to drive on and hopefully picking up a few defensive fouls. I like it. Beats having two fowards down low, with glaze in the game.

WHEN, its not an IF, he beats Jake then the whole defense breaks down. This is not a dig on Barnett but he has no business guarding Warren.

I understand that we don't want to get JJ and DE in foul trouble so you guard against that by setting up a kid to score 40 on you??

Maybe we are going to go full court havoc all up on them and they wont even have a chance to get the ball to Warren. 40 minutes of purgatory.

No but seriously the idea of JB guarding Warren makes me ill.

if you consider Barnett to be the worst defender of the starting 5 (and i think a decent number of people seem to think that) then at least he can get beat and somebody can help him. If barnett is getting beat by some nobody then that screws up the whole defense and pretty soon warren will be throwing down 50 on inside feeds all day

Im thinking this made is move for offensive end, now jb and what ever 3 or 4 is guarding him moves out of the lane. We all know at times their 5 will be on the arc just leaving DE and warren for jj to drive on and hopefully picking up a few defensive fouls. I like it. Beats having two fowards down low, with glaze in the game.

I don't understand your point. Who JB guards when we are on defense has practically no impact on offense. It doesn't change who will be guarding him.

Hey guys, wolfpack checking in. thought I'd give you a quick rundown on our team.

TJ Warren- is a great individual player who thrives in the midrange, and only real offensive flaws are struggling from three point land and making crisp passes in the half court (this is where most of his turnovers come from) if he lets the game come to him he's nearly unstoppable, especially in transition. Underrated defensively has great anticipation and is usually good for 1-3 steals a game.

Ralston Turner- streaky three point shooter, but if he's hitting we rarely lose. Defensively he can struggle against quick guards, but fundamentally sound, will commit some hard fouls if our opponent gets a fast break.

Tyler Lewis- We think he's the best passer in America, and now that his 3 point shot is coming around he's been very dangerous. He plays his best under the bright lights even though he looks to belong in a rec league game. He can also struggle defensively, but he's improved in that regard alot and is a big time effort guy also very smart. If you guys have big opposing guards who are quick they could give him problems. Although he held his own against Christon last night

Kyle Washington- Prone to taking and occasionally making dumb shots. Very emotional player probably the heart and soul of the team. Also prone to missing defensive assignments especially if bigs slip screens, but he is a high effort guy who's motor never stops. Gottfried will switch between he and Lennard Freeman depending on who is playing better. Kyle has a decent midrange jumper, but sometimes he's prone to taking it instead of getting the ball in the hands of our best player which is frustrating.

Jordan Vandenberg- A big body who clogs the lane is a good shotblocker and is also prone to foul trouble. to many times this year we've seen him bring his hand down on an opposing player when it wasn't even possibe to block the shot. Runs the floor hard as all of our players do. Some of you may have seen him hit that 15 footer last night, but that's not really his game. He is a good passer for someone who is 7'1". And very athletic for his size but he's able to be pushed around by bigger more assertive centers.

Bench

Des Lee(sg)- Good defender. whose offense can when the game for either side. not really a threat from three and has struggled finishing in the lane. Commits turnovers at the worst of times it feels like.

Cat Barber(pg)- He was sick last night but he's played excellent lately. If he's under control he's hard to guard while being an excellent defender himself. Looks to score rather than pass.

Lennard Freeman- A poor mans Kenneth Faried. His motor never stops, he's very strong athletic and helps his team win any way he can. GREAT rebounder.

Beejay Anya- Came in overweight to start the year, not really a threat to score but can be a very intimidating presence inside. We use him to wear down opposing bigs over the course of a game to have him lean on them. Really struggles in ballscreen action but, he's a freshman.

Overall were very young and streaky if we're on we can play with anyone. If it anyone besides Warren decides to "do him" we're in trouble. I think the keys are defensive rebounding and tempo. Best of luck let's hope for a solid injury free game.

Hey guys, wolfpack checking in. thought I'd give you a quick rundown on our team.

TJ Warren- is a great individual player who thrives in the midrange, and only real offensive flaws are struggling from three point land and making crisp passes in the half court (this is where most of his turnovers come from) if he lets the game come to him he's nearly unstoppable, especially in transition. Underrated defensively has great anticipation and is usually good for 1-3 steals a game.

Ralston Turner- streaky three point shooter, but if he's hitting we rarely lose. Defensively he can struggle against quick guards, but fundamentally sound, will commit some hard fouls if our opponent gets a fast break.

Tyler Lewis- We think he's the best passer in America, and now that his 3 point shot is coming around he's been very dangerous. He plays his best under the bright lights even though he looks to belong in a rec league game. He can also struggle defensively, but he's improved in that regard alot and is a big time effort guy also very smart. If you guys have big opposing guards who are quick they could give him problems. Although he held his own against Christon last night

Kyle Washington- Prone to taking and occasionally making dumb shots. Very emotional player probably the heart and soul of the team. Also prone to missing defensive assignments especially if bigs slip screens, but he is a high effort guy who's motor never stops. Gottfried will switch between he and Lennard Freeman depending on who is playing better. Kyle has a decent midrange jumper, but sometimes he's prone to taking it instead of getting the ball in the hands of our best player which is frustrating.

Jordan Vandenberg- A big body who clogs the lane is a good shotblocker and is also prone to foul trouble. to many times this year we've seen him bring his hand down on an opposing player when it wasn't even possibe to block the shot. Runs the floor hard as all of our players do. Some of you may have seen him hit that 15 footer last night, but that's not really his game. He is a good passer for someone who is 7'1". And very athletic for his size but he's able to be pushed around by bigger more assertive centers.

Bench

Des Lee(sg)- Good defender. whose offense can when the game for either side. not really a threat from three and has struggled finishing in the lane. Commits turnovers at the worst of times it feels like.

Cat Barber(pg)- He was sick last night but he's played excellent lately. If he's under control he's hard to guard while being an excellent defender himself. Looks to score rather than pass.

Lennard Freeman- A poor mans Kenneth Faried. His motor never stops, he's very strong athletic and helps his team win any way he can. GREAT rebounder.

Beejay Anya- Came in overweight to start the year, not really a threat to score but can be a very intimidating presence inside. We use him to wear down opposing bigs over the course of a game to have him lean on them. Really struggles in ballscreen action but, he's a freshman.

Overall were very young and streaky if we're on we can play with anyone. If it anyone besides Warren decides to "do him" we're in trouble. I think the keys are defensive rebounding and tempo. Best of luck let's hope for a solid injury free game.

thanks for that. sounds like what we already knew, just in much more detail. put everything we have against warren.

The talk of "Letting TJ get his" is a dangerous one because when he does slightly force things he doesnt go for 25, he goes for 30+ (9 occassions) or even 40+ (twice). I think if a team can take him out of it as much as possible, the better the outcome for them. Good luck

I don't understand your point. Who JB guards when we are on defense has practically no impact on offense. It doesn't change who will be guarding him.

Sure it does (im only saying between using jb or gg to guard warren). GG doesnt have the effect of drawing out their defender like jb would.

Sure it does (im only saying between using jb or gg to guard warren). GG doesnt have the effect of drawing out their defender like jb would.

Ok that makes more sense. But I doubt Grandy ever starting over Jake was an ever an option. For all we know GG could still get a lot of minutes on him.

You're welcome. It sounds like the Jett kid is our biggest worry for us on defense. But if y'all hearken back to the Saint Louis under Majerus you're defense will be great. It'll be interesting because there aren't many people who score the way TJ does. Even a pretty good defense like Pittsburgh or Syracuse can give up points in bunches to him. I think it'll be a good game.

Not mentioned in here yet is that Warren thrives in transition. We usually do a good job limiting opponent fast break points, however St. Bona did well against us in that regard. Limiting turnovers will be key, and we need to watch Warren's leak outs.

In the half-court, I like Jake on Warren. He is a pesky defender and isn't that easy to shoot over. He'll be in Warren's face all game and won't back down. We need to tempt Warren into settling for long twos and even threes - he isn't a lights out shooter. Easier said than done, however.

Our guards are better than theirs, have more experience and won't be giving up too much size. I think our ability to pressure their guards will also affect Warren, as they will struggle a bit to get him the ball when and where he wants it.

On offense, I expect Jett to get into the lane consistently and from there he just needs to be his normal self and not force things. I hope they think Warren can guard Dwayne 1v1 - could get him in foul trouble and would be the first time in months that Dwayne hasn't seen a double team. Hopefully McCall keeps up his play of late. Rob should be able to take advantage of his matchup as well. And then hopefully McBroom and Barnett can remember how to shoot when their defense collapses.

Winnable game, but we can't come out lethargic. Crisp rotations defensively and good decision making with the ball are the things I will be looking for.

Not mentioned in here yet is that Warren thrives in transition. We usually do a good job limiting opponent fast break points, however St. Bona did well against us in that regard. Limiting turnovers will be key, and we need to watch Warren's leak outs.

In the half-court, I like Jake on Warren. He is a pesky defender and isn't that easy to shoot over. He'll be in Warren's face all game and won't back down. We need to tempt Warren into settling for long twos and even threes - he isn't a lights out shooter. Easier said than done, however.

Our guards are better than theirs, have more experience and won't be giving up too much size. I think our ability to pressure their guards will also affect Warren, as they will struggle a bit to get him the ball when and where he wants it.

On offense, I expect Jett to get into the lane consistently and from there he just needs to be his normal self and not force things. I hope they think Warren can guard Dwayne 1v1 - could get him in foul trouble and would be the first time in months that Dwayne hasn't seen a double team. Hopefully McCall keeps up his play of late. Rob should be able to take advantage of his matchup as well. And then hopefully McBroom and Barnett can remember how to shoot when their defense collapses.

Winnable game, but we can't come out lethargic. Crisp rotations defensively and good decision making with the ball are the things I will be looking for.

Not sure who this Dwayne is but TJ guards very good players and limits them with regulartiy. He is a very underrated defender. For instance, he really handled Rodney Hood (very, very good duke player) to pedestrian numbers while going for 30+ himself.

You're welcome. It sounds like the Jett kid is our biggest worry for us on defense. But if y'all hearken back to the Saint Louis under Majerus you're defense will be great. It'll be interesting because there aren't many people who score the way TJ does. Even a pretty good defense like Pittsburgh or Syracuse can give up points in bunches to him. I think it'll be a good game.

Jett is our best/most explosive player, but Evans has a great all around game and depending on match-ups can be a nightmare to defend down low. Our 7 footer can also be a streaky 3 point machine, especially late in games. Don't sleep on McCall either who is capable of 20 points if you leave him open. When SLU defends to it's capability, they can best any team in this tournament.

Jett is our best/most explosive player, but Evans has a great all around game and depending on match-ups can be a nightmare to defend down low. Our 7 footer can also be a streaky 3 point machine, especially late in games. Don't sleep on McCall either who is capable of 20 points if you leave him open. When SLU defends to it's capability, they can best any team in this tournament.