Bracketology Review--3/16 edition

kwyjibo

SLU has moved to a consensus 7. Our RPI says seven but the profile actually helps a tad but not enough to move down from the 7. If our non-conf schedule was stronger I would think 6 but the bracket consensus has it right most likely. Please note that the committee is more likely to offer a 6 than an 8 (although both are possible; I do not think the 5 is possible).

Of the 46 bracketologists updating so far TODAY:

5 10%
6 24%
7 53%
8 12%

Please note that the last few years Lunardi has been an OK bracketologist (but never near the best), he was below average for a good part of the last decade. Jerry Palm simply got his gig for being the first one to do an RPI update website. He has been a consistently below average predictor for 15+ years.

SLU has moved to a consensus 7. Our RPI says seven but the profile actually helps a tad but not enough to move down from the 7. If our non-conf schedule was stronger I would think 6 but the bracket consensus has it right most likely. Please note that the committee is more likely to offer a 6 than an 8 (although both are possible; I do not think the 5 is possible).

Of the 46 bracketologists updating so far TODAY:

5 10%

6 24%

7 53%

8 12%

Please note that the last few years Lunardi has been an OK bracketologist (but never near the best), he was below average for a good part of the last decade. Jerry Palm simply got his gig for being the first one to do an RPI update website. He has been a consistently below average predictor for 15+ years.

Agreed regarding accuracy of Lunardi and Palm. Although I am hoping one of them is correct today. Lunardi still has SLU as #7 in the East region with opening round games in St. Louis. Arizona St. first followed by Kansas for SLU. Florida #1 in the region.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Palm has an almost identical opponent scenario (Arizona St. followed by Kansas), but he places SLU in the Midwest region with Wichita St. as #1 and opening round games in San Antonio:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

Both have six A-10 teams dancing.

This was interesting:

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html

I think kwyjibo or others may have referenced the Bracket Matrix before and how the aggregate Matrix generally is a better predictor than any individual bracketologist. The Matrix's #1 ranked bracketologist (minimum of three years of posted predictions) is someone named lobofan2003, and here is his/her prediction for this year:

http://lobofan2003.webs.com/apps/blog/

In short, as of this morning, lobofan has SLU as the top #7 seed. Doesn't have an updated prediction on region, opponent or opening round site.

The aggregate Bracket Matrix also has SLU as the top #7 seed.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Yes. Lobofan has been the best blogger. USA Today has been the best media source but unfortunately they change their bracketologist every few years and they have a new person this year.

Info above is from Bracket Matrix.

Same here, hoping for a 6 but expecting a 7. Hope the Committee looks at the whole body of work.

- Outright A10 championship.

- Only 1 road loss with several good road wins such as UMass, St. Joe's, Dayton, Indiana State.

- 19 game win streak

Same here, hoping for a 6 but expecting a 7. Hope the Committee looks at the whole body of work.

- Outright A10 championship.

- Only 1 road loss with several good road wins such as UMass, St. Joe's, Dayton, Indiana State.

- 19 game win streak

Indiana State was at home...

Despite all the predictions and all the learned experts opinions, we got a #5 seed.

Not all the final predictions have been collected yet but 5 at people Bracket Matrix had SLU as a 5 seed (not me of course but my brother said 5 seed and thought I was crazy for thinking 7) and one person had them at 4. I should have been more optimistic. Objectively, SLU had a 5-4 (Virginia, for example, is only 4-4 against the top 50) record against the top 50 rpi (this is a big factor) and 2 top 25 wins.

I mean the A-10 is good and all but the respect the committee showed the league seems excessive. Hope all six can find some wins.