JC

slu72

There has been a lot of questioning about JC in this 4L 1W tailspin. Let's cut the guy some slack, he's the A10 COY for the second year in a row and set a couple of records for SLU along the way. Granted, they're RM's players, who's always in the background w/ the announcers always mentioning RM, and that eerie prophetic statement of we'll be a top 10 program in 2 years, which we were for awhile. Hell, I think it was moy who spotted the guy behind the STB's bench that from a distance sure looked like RM's ghost.

But this is JC's program now, and he hasn't done too bad with it. Two A10 season titles, an A10 conference tourney title, and two dance invites in a row.

So, let's see how this all plays out before we jump on his case. JC's a good man. He probably hates losing more than we do. After all, he's a Bobby disciple, and no person on this earth could tolerate an L less than the General. He was also RM's choice to take his place. In RM I'll trust.

Even next year won't be a good year to judge his body of work at SLU, and we're all expecting something of a let down after these 3 amazing years. So, let's put off his evaluation until the 15-16 season. His recruits, his system, his staff. We'll know better then if he's the guy to guide the Bills to the next level, ie something beyond just a W in the dance.

I'm not implying we won't do that this year, although, after the last two weeks it's looking rather dubious. But to my untrained eye we still don't seem to have the type of players a team needs to compete at a really high D1 level. Now, granted, RM was a hoops genius who could make lemonade out of lemons, but those types are few and far between. It's not fair to compare JC to RM. I think he'd admit that the RM's of the world are rare gems and there are damn few of them

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasnt for his hiring at all. However, this loss and this mini collapse has to be placed firmly on the senior class not getting it done.

On the other hand, with all of the national interviews that JC has done in the past 2 months, I get more and more frustrated every day with his complete lack of enthusiam. Would it be that difficult to sell the team and school at least a little bit. He is a total dud. We have something really special that happened/is happening with this senior class. We have a student body that is finally really excited about their basketball team. It would be nice if he seemed interested in talking about it.

It's not the seniors fault we haven't devised a strategy to beat the zone in 4 seasons.

True but this senior class should never, ever allow 70+ to St. Bona. Sorry, thats not coaching. They all know how to defend. They just didnt get it done.

I wasnt for his hiring at all. However, this loss and this mini collapse has to be placed firmly on the senior class not getting it done.

On the other hand, with all of the national interviews that JC has done in the past 2 months, I get more and more frustrated every day with his complete lack of enthusiam. Would it be that difficult to sell the team and school at least a little bit. He is a total dud. We have something really special that happened/is happening with this senior class. We have a student body that is finally really excited about their basketball team. It would be nice if he seemed interested in talking about it.

Respectfully, you couldn't be further from reality. He's engaging and has a terrific sense of humor. He's been gracious and given all the credit to the team. He's been extremely accessible and has reflected positively for our team and University.

Crews has appeared numerous times on local radio shows. I detect no lack of enthusiasm.

Agree to disagree. I don't feel any excitement about the program or school when he speaks. I dont think he needs to be a Shaka baffoon, but a little more Charlie Spoonhour would be helpful.

I'm not even going to read the posts in this thread. Bottom line, this team, for whatever reason, chooses not to play with urgency. I don't get it, but it's a fact. Anybody watching the games can see that. I do not think that is on Crews, I think it's on the team. These are seniors, it's their last chance, get it done or be done, simple as that.

Who is making the big money - the seniors or JC? If all you had to do just let he seniors play and all would be well then who needs a coach - no, JC has this squarely on his shoulder and he has to figure out a way to get the team ready for the NCAA. When the players play well he gets credit so when they are not performing then he has to wear the collar also.

Who is making the big money - the seniors or JC? If all you had to do just let he seniors play and all would be well then who needs a coach - no, JC has this squarely on his shoulder and he has to figure out a way to get the team ready for the NCAA. When the players play well he gets credit so when they are not performing then he has to wear the collar also.

This makes no difference. This team was built to defend. Our seniors have lost focus and think they are going to outscore people. Not going to happen. It is inexcusable to give up 71 points to St. Bonaventure and allow lay up after layup. JC cannot be blamed for their lack of desire to guard. We have been leaking oil for a while and it all comes down to our desire on the defensive end. The Bonnie shot over 50% today. That is ridiculous. We thought we could just outscore them. Just like the other losses in this streak. We actually defended at UMass and what happened?

This makes no difference. This team was built to defend. Our seniors have lost focus and think they are going to outscore people. Not going to happen. It is inexcusable to give up 71 points to St. Bonaventure and allow lay up after layup. JC cannot be blamed for their lack of desire to guard. We have been leaking oil for a while and it all comes down to our desire on the defensive end. The Bonnie shot over 50% today. That is ridiculous. We thought we could just outscore them. Just like the other losses in this streak. We actually defended at UMass and what happened?

Yeah dude you are exactly right. We don't force our brand of basketball upon the opponent anymore. I kinda like Crews, I listened to that 30 minute interview of his life story and I just think he's a cool dude that has everything in perspective. I think we are seeing the result of Majerus' kids trying to play Crews' brand of basketball. To win with Crews brand you have to have a tall team that can make a jump shot. Look for the future Billiken rosters to be much bigger.

JC is fine. He is solid, and excellent coach. Questioning him is ridiculous.

We were overrated at "10", but a good club, a lot of you got a false sense of superiority, we hadn't beaten anybody of note, had a good winning streak and then had a typical letdown period like so many other teams plus had some injuries to our two most important players.

And you all question JC and / or the sense of urgency or focus of the players.?

Have you seen how many goddam ranked teams have been upset by 10-15 point underdogs, or barely won at the buzzer the last 10 days?

And DE and JJ are banged up?

Stop it.

Hopefully the injuries will be gone and we will be fresh to win two next week.

We do not really know how good we are, having not beaten any top notch teams other than maybe VCU (at home by 2)... but let's not panic and throw sh*t at JC or the players.

Again:

Look at the results, even, hell, just TODAY. Huge upsets and big favorites that barely win. Last 10 days, 2 weeks.

LETDOWN + two banged up stars. Not a stupid coach. Or lazy players. Think.

Homework for novices: last 14 days, how many top 25 AP & USA teams have lost or barely won by 1-2-3 points to much lesser teams.

We were overrated at "10", but a good club, a lot of you got a false sense of superiority, we hadn't beaten anybody of note, had a good winning streak and then had a typical letdown period like so many other teams plus had some injuries to our two most important players.

Have you seen how many goddam ranked teams have been upset by 10-15 point underdogs, or barely won at the buzzer the last 10 days?

Stop it.

We do not really know how good we are, having not beaten any top notch teams other than maybe VCU (at home by 2)... but let's not panic and throw sh*t at JC or the players.

Again:

Look at the results, even, hell, just TODAY. Huge upsets and big favorites that barely win. Last 10 days, 2 weeks.

Homework for novices: last 14 days, how many top 25 AP & USA teams have lost or barely won by 1-2-3 points to much lesser teams.

I love you as a poster besides the Vegas thing which I guess you were right on... You have my respect MB

Stop it.

Again:

I am confident you are right but with that being said there are no more tomorrows going forward. Either win or go home forever. Usher in GG, JM, AM, AY, MC, TL, RA, and all the newcomers to carry the SLU torch.

What in Jim Crews 20 + career coaching career leads you to believe he can recruit and then coach those recruits? He does have to recruit and beginning next year it's all his. I think it's fair to wait a couple years but beginning next year the heat is on.

At the end of the day, JC has done a great job coaching this team of RM's recruits. No one can argue that. It's been a great couple of years. The real test for JC is going to be what happens in the next 2-3 years. If he is not able to recruit given our recent momentum (stlhoops makes a good point), then it's time to question his coaching. This national recognition we've received should help us get more 3-4 star recruits (yeah, we need Tatum's son in 2015). We also have some high caliber, young assistant coaches in Cheaney and Bronson, which should help.

I can't help but put more of the blame on the recent poor play on the seniors. They are some of the most experienced players in the NCAA and have lost 4 of 5…that should not happen with this team.

I can only hope that losing to the Bonnie's helps wake them up. They are capable of going deep in the tournament. No one is going to want to play us.

Stop it.

Again:

You don't get competing.

You don't get competing.

I am certain that I know a lot about competing. You?

So you are saying that Syracuse and North Carolina (lost yesterday to unranked teams) do not know about competing. Duke (lost to Clemson and Wake Forest recently, won by one point yesterday) do not know about competing. Villanova (lost to Seton Hall)? AZ? There is a long, long, list and you know it, last 2 weeks.

Our kids, like many others had a natural letdown compounded by their two star players being banged up.

That is March madness, the public is convinced it is teams rising to the occasion for upsets, the knowledgeable fan knows a lot of the upsets are letdowns by the better teams.

Watch for a few teams that kill themselves winning their conference tournaments lose in the opening NCAA rounds to a much lower seed, it happens every year.

I am certain that I know a lot about competing. You?

So you are saying that Syracuse and North Carolina (lost yesterday to unranked teams) do not know about competing. Duke (lost to Clemson and Wake Forest recently, won by one point yesterday) do not know about competing. Villanova (lost to Seton Hall)? AZ? There is a long, long, list and you know it, last 2 weeks.

Our kids, like many others had a natural letdown compounded by their two star players being banged up.

That is March madness, the public is convinced it is teams rising to the occasion for upsets, the knowledgeable fan knows a lot of the upsets are letdowns by the better teams.

Watch for a few teams that kill themselves winning their conference tournaments lose in the opening NCAA rounds to a much lower seed, it happens every year.

Let me know when you want to race.

At the end of the day, JC has done a great job coaching this team of RM's recruits. No one can argue that. It's been a great couple of years. The real test for JC is going to be what happens in the next 2-3 years. If he is not able to recruit given our recent momentum (stlhoops makes a good point), then it's time to question his coaching. This national recognition we've received should help us get more 3-4 star recruits (yeah, we need Tatum's son in 2015). We also have some high caliber, young assistant coaches in Cheaney and Bronson, which should help.

I can't help but put more of the blame on the recent poor play on the seniors. They are some of the most experienced players in the NCAA and have lost 4 of 5…that should not happen with this team.

I can only hope that losing to the Bonnie's helps wake them up. They are capable of going deep in the tournament. No one is going to want to play us.

If they didn't wake up after going to overtime twice against GM, losing to Duq and Day at home in front of big crowds and just winning a number of close one during our "run", what in the name of god makes you think they are going to wake up now? I submit it is not a case of waking up, it's a case of not being as good as we all thought they were, coupled with our "no time out" coach not learning until the end of the year that TL should have been playing and gaining experience rather than having the Energizer Bunny on the court. In addition, it is now clear to me that Jake B has compromising pics of someone on the staff so that he rather than Mike C is playing.

I find it interesting that so many on this Board continue to hold to theories as truths. Truth: JB is not a better defender than MC-I've gone back and watched games I've recorded and MC is clearly the equal, if not better defender at this point. Truth: JJ is no where near the defender this year that he was last year-the same tapes show a very careless attitude with regard to knowing where his man is-he won his Defensive A-10 honors this year on reputation alone. MM was BY FAR a better defender this year.

Finally, what has happened to AM's 3-pt shot and on the subject of 3-pt shooting, what's the deal with RL? If neither of them can nail the 3 pointer at this point in the season and JB continues his sub-standard shooting from beyond the arc, JC should have given TL and MC the green light-they couldn't do any worse. I continue to believe that the FR are somewhat intimidated by the seniors and therefore, reluctant to shoot, especially if they miss one. Someone on the staff needed to get their confidence up and just tell them to shoot without fear of a miss. Too late now. Our only hope of any success in the Tournament is to face a series of teams having really bad days. If not the Sweet 16 is a pipe dream.