Sweet 16 or Bust

slufan13

Others have said it, but I think it deserves it's own thread.

Yes this has been a really good season. Another outright regular season title. 19 game winning streak.

2 years ago we were back in the Tournament for the first time in over a decade. We beat Memphis when everyone said we couldn't. We took top seed Michigan St to the wire. Great season.

Last season was even better. It was the first great season in a while. We won both the regular season and conference tournament. We flamed out against Oregon and that left a lot of disappointment.

But equaling last year's success isn't good enough.

This group of seniors are the winningest class in school history. If the team wins 12 games next season, then Manning and Glaze go down as the winningest players ever. They've established a hell of a legacy, but a lot of it is going to come down to how far they get in the Tourney. If they don't get to the Sweet 16, are they just like every other class in school history that couldn't make it that far?

At this point, I don't even think I'll be disappointed if we're a 7 seed and lose to the 2 seed and fail to make the Sweet 16 again. I'll be disappointed that we the bed down the stretch and played ourselves to a 7 seed.

Hopefully the guys lose the casual attitude. We've had so many double digit leads over the last 10 games yet we have no double digit wins. Step on their throats and put the game away.

I haven't given up on a 6 seed. I haven't given up on a Sweet 16 appearance no matter what the seed is. The guys are good enough. But if things don't change over this next week, we're not going anywhere. The turnovers have been awful. Some key players have disappeared. We have a week off to rest and get it right. Let's get to the Sweet 16 and make this the best season in school history.

If we get a 6, which is not outside the realm of possibility, I don't mind our chances. Projections list Creighton, San Diego State, Iowa State, Cincinnati, and Louisville as potential 3 seeds. I like us matching up with any of those teams (Louisville being the exception)...If we draw a 2, I hope it's Villanova.

But then again, we gotta win the first game before we talk about potential second round matchups...

ABOUT THE BONNIES

• St. Bonaventure enters Friday’s matchup 17-14 overall. It finished 6-10 in A-10 play.

• Matthew Wright entered the A-10 Championship ranking fifth in the league in scoring and entered the tourney on a hot streak, averaging 19 points per game over the last 10 contests.

• Youssou Ndoye averages 10.2 ppg and a team-leading 5.7 rpg. He has also registered a team-leading 68 blocks.

• The Bonnies snapped a four-game losing skid with their win against La Salle.

• Head coach Mark Schmidt is 105-109 in seven years at St. Bonaventure. He is 187-199 in 13 seasons overall.

SERIES HISTORY

• SLU leads the all-time series 11-4. The squads have never met in the A-10 Championship.

Say UNCLE !!!

ABOUT THE BONNIES

St. Bonaventure enters Fridays matchup 17-14 overall. It finished 6-10 in A-10 play.

Matthew Wright entered the A-10 Championship ranking fifth in the league in scoring and entered the tourney on a hot streak, averaging 19 points per game over the last 10 contests.

Youssou Ndoye averages 10.2 ppg and a team-leading 5.7 rpg. He has also registered a team-leading 68 blocks.

The Bonnies snapped a four-game losing skid with their win against La Salle.

Head coach Mark Schmidt is 105-109 in seven years at St. Bonaventure. He is 187-199 in 13 seasons overall.

SERIES HISTORY

SLU leads the all-time series 11-4. The squads have never met in the A-10 Championship.

Say UNCLE !!!

Huge win, good luck tomorrow.

I can't say I'm not bummed about today's loss, but we did play a good game. Not good enough, but the Bonnies had a great second half. We were lucky to win by 6 at home to them.

Look at the bright side, we could be overlooked as a possible 7 seed. We could get a better location as a 7 seed. Now our guys have at least 6 days of rest before the next game. I'm a little tired of the opposing team trying to beat on our injured players. Our seniors have played a ton of minutes and they definitely need an extended rest.

The light at the end of the tunnel that is this season is nearing. I believe our leaders on the team will step up come tournament time. Enjoy these guys while we still have them for the few moments that are left.

Oh and just maybe we won't have to see any terrible calls by A10 refs until next year...

I think a 6 seed is still in sight.

- It can't be overlooked in the "body of work" we outright won the regular season conference.

- We managed to have a 19 game winning streak

- We only lost 1 true road game

- Two of our closer losses are against two top 10 teams

- RPI is not the only factor

- When healthy, we have the best player in the Atlantic 10 on our team

I would say that if we get a 7 seed, they could put us in St. Louis, which wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

I'm calling a 6 seed though.

I think a 6 seed is still in sight.

- It can't be overlooked in the "body of work" we outright won the regular season conference.

- We managed to have a 19 game winning streak

- We only lost 1 true road game

- Two of our closer losses are against two top 10 teams

- RPI is not the only factor

- When healthy, we have the best player in the Atlantic 10 on our team

I would say that if we get a 7 seed, they could put us in St. Louis, which wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

I'm calling a 6 seed though.

It was mentioned before with an RPI of 27 and losing 4 out of your last 5 doesnt add up to a 6 seed. We will be a 7 or an 8 and will not be placed in St. Louis. This loss really hurt our seeding.

ABOUT THE BONNIES

St. Bonaventure enters Fridays matchup 17-14 overall. It finished 6-10 in A-10 play.

Matthew Wright entered the A-10 Championship ranking fifth in the league in scoring and entered the tourney on a hot streak, averaging 19 points per game over the last 10 contests.

Youssou Ndoye averages 10.2 ppg and a team-leading 5.7 rpg. He has also registered a team-leading 68 blocks.

The Bonnies snapped a four-game losing skid with their win against La Salle.

Head coach Mark Schmidt is 105-109 in seven years at St. Bonaventure. He is 187-199 in 13 seasons overall.

SERIES HISTORY

SLU leads the all-time series 11-4. The squads have never met in the A-10 Championship.

Say UNCLE !!!

Have fun in the NIT (Not in tournament)

I just got the news. Booooooogus!!!! Bonnies by double digits in the 2nd half? Should have DVR'd it. We wanted you guys. Likely our best shot at a 4 seed.

Back to your cages now (especially you BigMouth). We gotta take care of some tough business here in a few minutes.

Reminds me of when Mizzou dominated all year and lost to Northforlk State in the 1st round. Their fans quickly forgot about the regular season. The dance is all that matters. The boys need to regroup and win at least 2 or this season will be,unfortunately, a disappointment.

The 19 game streak and JJ's heroics have been the season's highlights. The team is limited in many ways and doesn't have the three point shooting to cover the weaknesses. I figured we'd be vulnerable as the season went on, but didn't expect to lose 4 of 5 to end it. Doubt we'll make the Sweet 16, hoping for a good showing, and victory, in the first round game and then take our chances.

If we get a 6, which is not outside the realm of possibility, I don't mind our chances. Projections list Creighton, San Diego State, Iowa State, Cincinnati, and Louisville as potential 3 seeds. I like us matching up with any of those teams (Louisville being the exception)...If we draw a 2, I hope it's Villanova.

But then again, we gotta win the first game before we talk about potential second round matchups...

-there would be a game to win before we could get to the next round against those teams

It was mentioned before with an RPI of 27 and losing 4 out of your last 5 doesnt add up to a 6 seed. We will be a 7 or an 8 and will not be placed in St. Louis. This loss really hurt our seeding.

Yep. And the way we are playing we will not win a first round game. The teams we will draw, especially given our plummeting seeding, will be much better teams than the Bonawelders, the Dukes, and the Flyers. Barring a team meeting, with just the players, where the seniors look each other in the eye and admit that the next game is their last unless they start playing with a relentless and aggressive focus to destroy their opponent, the season ends this coming weekend. Another lackadaisical showing and they could well be embarrassed on the national stage.

Yep. And the way we are playing we will not win a first round game. The teams we will draw, especially given our plummeting seeding, will be much better teams than the Bonawelders, the Dukes, and the Flyers. Barring a team meeting, with just the players, where the seniors look each other in the eye and admit that the next game is their last unless they start playing with a relentless and aggressive focus to destroy their opponent, the season ends this coming weekend. Another lackadaisical showing and they could well be embarrassed on the national stage.

-like in some classes the final makes up a big part of the grade, the tourney is the final, so we can still have a fantastic result

-these last few games are a horrible trend for this team and i will look past the inability of the trend to be reversed and hope that we figure out something for next week and hopefully beyond

-speaking of beyond, a visit from the Spirit of Rick Majerus would be welcome as up to now what we have tried hasn't worked

As frustrating as the last few weeks have been, the only thing that matters is a tournament run.

The only reason Butler is in the Big East right now is their performance in the post season. No one remembers how they played in the Horizon league. The only reason Wichita State was ranked in the preseason polls, and the reason they can afford to post taunting billboards all over our city, was their run last March. The only reason people have even heard of VCU, and the reason they're infallible in the eyes of the national media, was their Final Four run.

Big name recruits, casual fans, and big time media deals don't care about conference wins in a mid-major league. Conference championship are great accomplishments for the players and are remembered by die-hard fans but their impact in future seasons doesn't extend beyond the building in which their banners hang.

Legends are made in March. Deep runs in the tourney attract these three precious assets (i.e. big recruits, casual fans to fill the seats, and big media deals) that make programs self-sustaining. They're the reason Chaifetz Arena and RM were assembled in Midtown.

As frustrating as the last few weeks have been, the only thing that matters is a tournament run.

The only reason Butler is in the Big East right now is their performance in the post season. No one remembers how they played in the Horizon league. The only reason Wichita State was ranked in the preseason polls, and the reason they can afford to post taunting billboards all over our city, was their run last March. The only reason people have even heard of VCU, and the reason they're infallible in the eyes of the national media, was their Final Four run.

Big name recruits, casual fans, and big time media deals don't care about conference wins in a mid-major league. Conference championship are great accomplishments for the players and are remembered by die-hard fans but their impact in future seasons doesn't extend beyond the building in which their banners hang.

Legends are made in March. Deep runs in the tourney attract these three precious assets (i.e. big recruits, casual fans to fill the seats, and big media deals) that make programs self-sustaining. They're the reason Chaifetz Arena and RM were assembled in Midtown.

I agree with all of this, but most are concerned with how the team has been playing lately. It would be one thing if we were playing solid basketball going into the tourney, but we have not. Pissing away leads in the 2nd half does not make me very confident that this team can go on a deep run.

Hopefully Dwayne and Jett can get healthier this week and be ready to play their hearts out in the tournament. I know these seniors will all play their hearts out because their careers are over after one more loss. Let's hope they go out with a bang!