The bigger issue...

I think a first round match up with okie state would be tough for us. Matching up with a second tier big conference team with athletes would be a bad match up for the Billikens. Kind of like us vs. Oregon last year.

Well brace yourself, because that's what's happening... We win and have the weight of the S16 on our shoulders in round 2 vs. a top seed... or we lose and everyone who said we were just rolling in an inferior conference was right.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the many things I loved about RM and really miss we're his half time adjustments. He was a master at making a few tweaks and getting his players to apply small adjustments that allowed them to stop what the other team was doing well or address what we were doing poorly.

One of the many things I loved about RM and really miss we're his half time adjustments. He was a master at making a few tweaks and getting his players to apply small adjustments that allowed them to stop what the other team was doing well or address what we were doing poorly.

I just wish we had a coach that made any adjustments

Makes me sad that I am already thinking about next season. But...win two in the NCAA's and all is well. How about we slip to a 7 and play in the Lou or...slip to an 8 and get a possible rematch against the Shockers. Either way, we need to play with urgency that I only really saw in McCall today.

Oh and I gotta say...both injuries and defense are issues. Jett should have sat the last 3 minutes of about 7 games this year had we been able to close/play at all in the middle third of second halves. Instead he played 20 to 30 extra hard minutes that he should have been resting. Much like today. This is why he cant get well. lack of defense is feeding this injury.

lastly, a team with killer instinct closes out George Mason (twice), Duquesne, Dayton, and even Wichita St. so that the last few minutes are towel waving sessions. Love these guys but not seein' it.

Yes. The game started and the teams may seem evenly matched and all of a sudden we would break through. Mistakes were limited on our part, and the adjustments would wear them down and bang ten point lead in the middle of the second half. Now that's typically when we lose our lead.

It may not be as bad as everyone thinks. Not necessarily "playing bad". It is not that simple.

Again:

1) Letdowns are a huge factor this time of the year, it happens, kids thinking ahead to NCAA's the last 2 weeks; SO many ranked teams lost the last two weeks, same as us, and in the conference tournaments.

2) We have been and may still be banged up... DE looks OK now... probably... but JJ, maybe not. Perhaps the rest will help rather than playing Saturday & Sunday.

3) Hard to ALWAYS say about seeding... right now I would rather play a # 2 Villanova or Wisconsin than a # 3 Louisville or Virginia, for example.

It may not be as bad as everyone thinks. Not necessarily "playing bad". It is not that simple.

Again:

1) Letdowns are a huge factor this time of the year, it happens, kids thinking ahead to NCAA's the last 2 weeks; SO many ranked teams lost the last two weeks, same as us, and in the conference tournaments.

2) We have been and may still be banged up... DE looks OK now... probably... but JJ, maybe not. Perhaps the rest will help rather than playing Saturday & Sunday.

3) Hard to ALWAYS say about seeding... right now I would rather play a # 2 Villanova than a # 3 Louisville, for example.

Louisville is playing some of the best ball around right now. I'd take my chances with just about anybody over them right now.

Louisville is playing some of the best ball around right now. I'd take my chances with just about anybody over them right now.

Everyone hates this when I say it but The Las Vegas power ratings I use has Louisville # 1 now... and have had them there for awhile.

Then Florida, AZ, KU.

3 hours agoBY TOM TIMMERMANN [email protected] 314-340-8190

532357d5c828b.preview-300.jpg

St. Bonaventure's Jordan Gathers shoots a 3-pointer at the buzzer to defeat SLU 71-68 in the Atlantic 10 Conference tournament at the Barclays Center in New York on Friday. (AP Photo)

BROOKLYN, N.Y. • St. Louis University's hopes of repeating as champions of the Atlantic 10 tournament came to a quick end on Friday afternoon, as St. Bonaventure's Jordan Gathers hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to give the Bonnies a 71-68 win over SLU at the Barclays Center.

SLU led by 13 in the first half and then fell behind by five in the second half before Dwayne Evans tied the game on a 3-point shot with 21 seconds to play.

St. Bonaventure worked for the last shot and Gathers came off a ball screen to hit the game-winner.

Gathers, a nephew of late Loyola Marymount star Hank Gathers, said he had never before made a game-winning shot.

"When I let it go, I knew it was going in," he said.

The loss was the fourth in the past five games for SLU (26-6), which had won 19 straight games before that. SLU now awaits the NCAA Tournament announcement on Sunday to see where it will go next.

Mike McCall scored 21 points and Evans had 15 for SLU. Charlon Kloof and Matthew Wright each had 22 points for St. Bonaventure, which made seven of 12 3-point shots in the game.

SLU was flummoxed by St. Bonaventure's 1-3-1 zone in the second half, and the Billikens committed 10 turnovers in the second half after committing just four in the first half.

Jordair Jett finished with nine points, six rebounds, eight assists and six turnovers. He said after the game he would be fine after taking a hit to his groin on a drive to the basket in the final minute.

Jett was on the floor in pain, and St. Bonaventure had a five-on-four advantage, when Wright hit a 3-pointer with 38 seconds left to put the Bonnies (18-14) up by three.

After the game, SLU coach Jim Crews said: "I thought that the first half we played pretty well. I thought we ran well. We were sharp offensively. We did some good things defensively. We committed too many fouls in the first nine minutes, got them to bonus, but the last 11 minutes, we were really sound defensively.

"I thought a little of a negative in the first half, though, was we kind of had it going our way and we took really quick shots when we were getting good results by just staying with the offense.

"And then obviously we weren't very good the second half. When you give up 43 points like we did — we're not going to win from that standpoint. St. Bonny did a great job. They stayed with it."

BOX SCORE: ST. BONAVENTURE 71, SLU 68

Both are huge problems. Can one of our bum media members ask Crews what happened to Crawford. Last time out vs St. Bona we were tied with under 10 to play and Crawford drained two 3's in a row.

I also do not understand Crawford not playing at all. Hopefully, he will get some in the NCAA Tourney.

The defense this team prided itself on has fallen apart of late.

Good game against UMass, but that's 1-4 in the last 5.

Could not agree more. +100000. As I said in another thread, this team was built to defend. We seem to think that once we cracked the top 10 and maybe earlier that we are going to outscore people. Not going to happen. We let the Bonnie shoot over 50% on us today. That is unacceptable and ridiculous. No desire on the defensive end for quite some time now. Leaking oil is squarely related to our lack of desire to defend. They defend they win. That simple.

Keep sticking your head in the sand - this team is playing poorly at just the wrong time. Not sure why it took so long for JC to call a time out in the second half but he is not helping his team get their heads out of their rears. JC's lack of urgency simply lends itself to the team to take it over. RM would have called as many time outs as needed to wake them up.

RM would have burned every timeout he had in the first 3 minutes of the second half. Much love to RM. He would have also had someones butt for the center going 94 feet for a layup at the end of the 1st half.

Could not agree more. +100000. As I said in another thread, this team was built to defend. We seem to think that once we cracked the top 10 and maybe earlier that we are going to outscore people. Not going to happen. We let the Bonnie shoot over 50% on us today. That is unacceptable and ridiculous. No desire on the defensive end for quite some time now. Leaking oil is squarely related to our lack of desire to defend. They defend they win. That simple.

UMMMMM....

YEP.

Wasn't sure which thread to post this in (or if it's already been posted today), but Bryan Burwell was spot on in his column today

"Before Friday afternoon, I was content to write off SLU’s recent woes as the symptoms of a weary and injured team that seemed to have run out of gas at the worst possible time. Yes, the Billikens are a team that runs off the energy of the high-volume minutes of seniors Evans, Jordair Jett and Mike McCall Jr. Yet this team was well-rested Friday, with only one game in eight days.

They didn’t look gassed against the Bonnies.

They just looked liked they couldn’t cope with a defensive strategic shift that absolutely took them out of their normally efficient half-court offensive game."