all star game

tommie liddell couldn't play in the game because he is headed to a prep school, so technically, he's still a high school student and ineligible to play. the dandridge (mt. zion) and anderson kid (laurinburg) are fifth-year prep school kids who played last night.

all of the top illinois kids (price, jones, shaw)were in bloomington playing in an all-star game. i asked about terry evans and cameron murkey. evans is alredy in summer school in green bay and murkey was at a family reunion. the local team would have been much better with those guys.

people, we have our point guard of the future and present and his name is Dwayne Polk. He will bring a lot of excitement to the savvis center and new arena during his career. that alley-oop dunk was incredible. and it was with his right hand, not his natural left hand. i can't wait to see him, kevin and tommie together for three years. I thought kalen had a nice game as well. he really worked hard every minute he was out there. he is still behind offensively, but when he goea all out, he can accomplish quite a bit.

bad boyz for life

I was at the all-star game and was truly impressed by some of the offensive things Polk accomplished. He is truly an exciting player. It will be interesting watching Polk cut thru (at great speed) the numerous screens set by SLU's post players. He should get alot of open looks and the bigs better be anticipating the ball at all times, otherwise they will be dealing with a broken nose!

It will be interesting to see how Polk plays defense and what the opposition does with him, and his 5-7/5-8 140# frame (my guesstimates). I suspect DP will be a real pesky defensive player full court, and will apply alot of ball pressure from mid-court to the head of the key. However, how SLU reacts when opposing big guards post DP up in the low post, will also be interesting to watch.

btw, Missouri has three very good recuits heading their way this year. With improved coaching from Meyers and Watkins, the three athletes that played at Fontbonne should see alot of minutes over the next four years.

regardless of his actuall height Dwayne plays bigger than 5'9".....While his alley oop dunk was impressive, his steal in the first half which was mentioned earlier was more impressive. He is quick, he plays defense, he shoots well, but he needs to work on his shot for the next level. He is fluid, moves at a fast pace without appearing frantic. While I like Marque Perry, Dwayne may very well turn out to be much better.

before everyone goes and nominates polk for all-american, i hope you all realize that his diminutive size will always be a disadvantage that can be exploited. sure his speed and athleticism will offset it, but there will be games where he will be guarding players 6-8 inches taller, physically stronger that are almost as fast. there is a reason that he wasnt recruited by the duke's and florida's.

now do i think he will be good billiken? i watched the game on charter last nite and was extremely impressed. dwayne polk is going to be fantastic. but still i dont expect him to be iverson the first day out either. dont put undo expectations on the young man just yet.

>"He is quick, he plays defense, he shoots well, but he needs

>to work on his shot for the next level"

>

>I've watched Polk play a dozen times and Saturday's game is

>the worst I've ever seen him shoot.

I agree with 3Star on this one. If I remember correctly Polk knocked down a long 3-pointer early but then really struggled from the outside. I saw him several times this season and he shot the ball very well in almost every game. He has the ability to get on a roll and knock down shot after shot from behind the 3-point line.

- Nate

Roy, except when the dicussion involves Lisch, you have become quite the Billiken pessimist. Trust me, Dwayne Polk is going to create many more match-up problems than he is going to have to overcome. Regardless of his size, he would likely have been recruited by a lot of big schools had he not crushed his knee two years ago.

College coaches don't do a good job of taking advantage of match up problems. I wrongly said that Brian Grawer could not play D-1 ball because he would be abused in the low post. In his 4 year career he was hardly ever posted up. The college game just doesn't exploit size problems. Polk will be a strong defender.

polk was not recruited heavily because he broke his knee cap. As davidnark mentioned. remember, this is college basketball and not the nba. the thing about dwayne we have to remember is that he is a TRUE point guard. who's the last true point guard we had that we didn't have to convert to the position. dwayne brings that to you right away. I did a little research on the kid from redlands and he is also a true point guard. if he comes, then we're really set. word on the street is that he has visited xavier and is also considering UMass. i haven't heard anything further on that front. if anybody knows anything, let us know.

bad boyz for life

by the way,

mike anderson of uab started two dwayne polk sized players last year.

squeaky and mo created so much havoc out top that opposing teams were just too flustered into thinking about posting one of them up.

winning a conference title and going to the sweet 16: not bad for a team that started TWO midgets in the backcourt.

no i dont want to be taken on polk as though i dont think he will be good. i think dwayne polk is going to be a dynamo. i just dont want expectations too high off the bat. give the kid a chance to settle in.

as to my pessimistic attitude, other than the fact i am not sold on our frontcourt depth, i think this will be the best billiken team since hughes next season. i believe will will be over 20 wins for the upcoming season and if the chips fall right, we will be in the ncaa tourney. i am just frustrated we are not addressing what i see as our thinnest area and continue to pile on guards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/roster?collegeId=5

actually, uab lists finley and johnson as 2-3 inches taller and 20-30 lbs heavier. now think about that. we recognized them as "small" polk is much smaller.

again, i am not saying he wont be a fantastic player. the nate robinson's, spud webb's and such prove that the little guy can play with the right skills. saturday nite dwayne showed he has those skills and athleticism. all i am saying is that you can bet that the likes of pitino, crean and huggins will look for ways to negate dwayne's strengths. in time, dwayne will be bigger and stronger and will lessen that gap, but i for one expect a typical freshman season from dwayne. that said, i expect dwayne will be on the floor at least 20-25 minutes a game and be an intregal part to the expected success.