A thought on UMass

slu72

It looked like Putney took himself out of the play on the Jordair game winner. Oh well.

He whiffed on a late swipe at Jett. Really weak effort, but it couldn't happen to a bigger piece of crap.

Derrick Gordon is still looking for his jock too.

I have long been complimentary of Putney and every time, kwijybo put me in my place. He was right. I thought Jake took very little from Putney and even might have got in his head a little. What a great game. They never quit. Credit to them all.

John Manning had a nice game with 8 points in 13 minutes. Glaze got six defensive rebounds in 8 minutes. I thought McBroom was a little overmatched. And we did NOT make a star out of Cady LaLanne this time out. Were Umass fans chanting "Rob Loe sucks?" Classless move of the year. We made they play our game when it counted. A score of 64 to 62 is certainly us.

It rights the ship going into Brooklyn. And once again, Steve Wolf is clueless.

Really proud of our effort. DE, JJ, MM, RL all played well. I think JB is having some confidence problems, but he contributed. I must say I am most proud of JM, who is starting to show some strength under the basket offensively, and uses his wing span to the best of his ability.. McBroom launches his Sunday church league bombs before he is set, His 3 point shooting is getting worse. He seems to shoot off balance, instead of taking a second to square up. He is deadly at FT, though. I wish JJ, JB and DE could take some FT lessons from him. The free throw shooting is unacceptable. Got to have 70%. Just not focused. I don't use being tired as an excuse for not concentrating. But I bet these five days together without classes will allow us some time to scout and re-focus. Today was the most important victory of the season so far.

Yeah, they were chanting 'RL sucks'... And he quickly shut them up by making both FTs. That really was awful. So classless. Glad we came out on top.

Tired definitely wasn't the reason for FT troubles cuz we made it better as time progressed. But what a great way to wrap it up :) way to be BILLIES!

I have long been complimentary of Putney and every time, kwijybo put me in my place. He was right. I thought Jake took very little from Putney and even might have got in his head a little. What a great game. They never quit. Credit to them all.

John Manning had a nice game with 8 points in 13 minutes. Glaze got six defensive rebounds in 8 minutes. I thought McBroom was a little overmatched. And we did NOT make a star out of Cady LaLanne this time out. Were Umass fans chanting "Rob Loe sucks?" Classless move of the year. We made they play our game when it counted. A score of 64 to 62 is certainly us.

It rights the ship going into Brooklyn. And once again, Steve Wolf is clueless.

I though throughout that game both of those supposed non-partial CBS announcers sounded like UMass homeboys!

Yeah, they were chanting 'RL sucks'... And he quickly shut them up by making both FTs. That really was awful. So classless. Glad we came out on top.

Tired definitely wasn't the reason for FT troubles cuz we made it better as time progressed. But what a great way to wrap it up :) way to be BILLIES!

That block by Rob before Jordair winning shot was crucial in the win. He continues to be clutch in our wins.

When we shout 'bs' at the refs on a call that blows... Really doesn't bother me... And I'm not sure why it gets under my skin so much, but calling out a single player, at the college level, just seems worse to me. It's not like they're being paid at this level to take that kinda crap. They are purely entertainment,... For those that couldn't dream of playing at that level... So they should shut it.

Opposing fans shouting RL sucks is not that bad - I am sure our students have said similar things. Now if they were shouting curse words the whole game then that is a different story. Only got to see the last 10 minutes but apparently that was the best part.

It's unoriginal and lacks creativity. Typical of Massholes. I tend to think SLU students are better than that.

Likely this game also determined A-10 player of the year- Jordair Jett > Chaz Williams.

Jordair deserves POY. I'm wondering if DE makes 1st team A-10. I hope so.

Who else? Rob Loe 3rd team?

If McCall doesn't make at least all-defensive, it's a crime. He was FANTASTIC against Chaz today. Chaz got his, but MM didn't let him go off like he could have.

That block by Rob before Jordair winning shot was crucial in the win. He continues to be clutch in our wins.

I was watching it at work and cheered loud enough for everybody on the sales floor to hear. Second-biggest moment of the game.

If McCall doesn't make at least all-defensive, it's a crime. He was FANTASTIC against Chaz today. Chaz got his, but MM didn't let him go off like he could have.

Don't forget about JM on the All-Tentacle team. (inside joke, for those of you who don't get it)

I though throughout that game both of those supposed non-partial CBS announcers sounded like UMass homeboys!

You mean the founders of the Chaz Williams fan club who mentioned his mom about ten times and how he wanted to go out in glory before his daughter?

Same announcers who went on to say how mature UMass players were because they were all 22 and 23 years old?

Cory Remeuken could have been a mature senior if he had red shirted or went to prep school. Jake is very mature at 24 and has not hurt us on defense lately. Jake is also the one Crews gives extensive instructions to while players are on the court. Will Jake have a career in coaching?

Question for people on the board:

It is assumed by most that Jordair is a better defender than Mike because of accolades. Do you consider one or the other a better defender? If so, which player and why?

It is assumed by most that Jordair is a better defender than Mike because of accolades. Do you consider one or the other a better defender? If so, which player and why?

Good question, but tough to answer. I guess it depends on the opponent. Against Chaz, I want MM. Against a bigger guard, I want JJ. If you put a gun to my head and I had to just pick one, it'd be MM by the narrowest of margins because of MM's quickness and ability to play tight man-to-man on the perimeter without fouling (for the most part).

-absolutely depends on the matchup but they are both really, really good defensively

-JJ perhaps a bit more flashy with the blocks and many folks are taken in by that

-absolutely depends on the matchup but they are both really, really good defensively

-JJ perhaps a bit more flashy with the blocks and many folks are taken in by that

The SCTOP10 charm. Flashy>fundamental/successful in the eyes of the nation... unfortunately. I'd rather see the latter, but no truly fundamental, smart, team-first basketball player will ever get the same attention as a Marcus Smart or an Andrew Wiggins. :(

MM. No doubt in my mind. If it comes down to it, at the end of the game I want MM on defense and JJ with the ball on offense. Every single time.

Perhaps the outcome would have been different had all of the UMass defenders slapped the floor prior to the last possession. It seemed to be working for them in the first half.

I was slapping the floor in the 2nd half, but it just doesn't have the same effect on carpet.