Ray Hartmann calls for SLU/Mizzou series

bonwich

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Say what you want about him but in terms of local history - especially public stadium financing shakedowns, Ray Hartmann knows the score.

as for SLU v Mizzou - either alternate home arenas (If we have to play at Mizzou Arena, they have to play at Chaifetz.) or hold out for an annual "neutral" game at Scottrade. (if Indiana and Butler can call the Pacers arena neutral, SLU and Mizzou can call Scottrade neutral).

I'm fine for scheduling "semi-home" games at Scottrade against Big Name programs - but given that we have yet to sell out Chaifetz for a non-conference game - it better be a pretty big name.

Say what you want about him but in terms of local history - especially public stadium financing shakedowns, Ray Hartmann knows the score.

as for SLU v Mizzou - either alternate home arenas (If we have to play at Mizzou Arena, they have to play at Chaifetz.) or hold out for an annual "neutral" game at Scottrade. (if Indiana and Butler can call the Pacers arena neutral, SLU and Mizzou can call Scottrade neutral).

I'm fine for scheduling "semi-home" games at Scottrade against Big Name programs - but given that we have yet to sell out Chaifetz for a non-conference game - it better be a pretty big name.

Play Kansas there and it will sell out quick.

Started RFT. Town's resident "liberal" as seen by slant of RFT and his continued presence on Donnybrook. One his first jobs was speech writer for Kit Bond. What a liberal hey, sort of wrong camp similar to MUDCAT on this board.

Thanks. Aside from checking the annual "Best of" list occasionally, I hardly ever read anything from the RFT. I've also never watched Donnybrook.

-Frank C. has been plugging a SLU/Mizzou game for some time, he says he was at lunch with a high ranking MU ADept official who said something very close to 'Frank, you can talk about this game 24 hours a day, 365 days a year but understand it will not happen', Coach Grawer's take from a MU official is they don't need the money, so this seems like an 05 horse beater

If they do not need the money and thus have no inventive to play the game, perhaps the purse strings need to be tightened. Obviously they have to big a budget, if they can afford to pay a team to come to Columbia and play a game in front of a crowd half the size of their max attendance.

As for regional rivals, I think KU would have an incentive to remind Missouri Fans what they are missing twice a year......

Ray's been at a lot of games this year. He also sold the RFT about 15 years ago for a bazillion dollars -- and then called all of the writers in, including us freelancers, and wrote us bonus checks. He is a very good dude.

He's also currently the publisher of St. Louis Magazine, which he turned from near-bankrupt to highly profitable.

As for the Kit Bond crack, Kit wouldn't even be allowed to attend the Republican convention these days. He was probably more liberal than any number of current Democratic senators.

Next year could be a very enticing year to land a home and home with a big boy. We're going to be in a percieved "down" year (although the realist in me acknowledges this) so it may be easier to convince somebody to add us to the schedule. Ideally we could start the series on the road so we can get them here in two years when we should be very good with Ash and Austin in the backcourt as seniors and a strong junior and sophomore class.

I've been dying to get MIZ back on the schedule but I say screw 'em. They're the ones that will take the PR hit for dodging us and honestly we've been more successful for the past 3 seasons so let's go get someone else.

Next year could be a very enticing year to land a home and home with a big boy. We're going to be in a percieved "down" year (although the realist in me acknowledges this) so it may be easier to convince somebody to add us to the schedule. Ideally we could start the series on the road so we can get them here in two years when we should be very good with Ash and Austin in the backcourt as seniors and a strong junior and sophomore class.

I've been dying to get MIZ back on the schedule but I say screw 'em. They're the ones that will take the PR hit for dodging us and honestly we've been more successful for the past 3 seasons so let's go get someone else.

Assuming Mizzou is not happening, I like the idea of Memphis, Cincy or Louisville. If there was a good Chicago-area team (and why isn't there, BTW?), that would be ideal.

Stay good long enough and Missou will give you your home n home. It must be earned. They might give you guys a buy game at Mizzou though...

Assuming Mizzou is not happening, I like the idea of Memphis, Cincy or Louisville. If there was a good Chicago-area team (and why isn't there, BTW?), that would be ideal.

Would be on board with any of those. Also would like to see us look at Izzo Nation or a top Big Ten school like Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana.

I second this vote.

But until then, a reminder: the Ignore feature is fantastic. I just scroll right past all the worst posters.

No the ignore button is useless when you put up an ingnored poster's post in your quote. I stand by my post and my opinion. Missou isn't ever going to give you a H&H if it messes up their RPI. And it will after this year. You have 5 SR's graduating. Be real and admit that what I say is true. Who's gonna run the team for the next 2 years. All talent will be gone. Many years of work to do to get back to the top 25. You don't have to like my opinion, but I wanna see someone make a decent argument why I might be wrong.

No the ignore button is useless when you put up an ingnored poster's post in your quote. I stand by my post and my opinion. Missou isn't ever going to give you a H&H if it messes up their RPI. And it will after this year. You have 5 SR's graduating. Be real and admit that what I say is true. Who's gonna run the team for the next 2 years. All talent will be gone. Many years of work to do to get back to the top 25. You don't have to like my opinion, but I wanna see someone make a decent argument why I might be wrong.

This post blows my f-ing mind.... What a baby!

You act like Mizzou is some perennial powerhouse. Will we be as good next year as we are this year? No. But that's okay and obvious considering we're having one of the best years in our programs history.

I actually have pretty high hopes for next year. I'm not sure if we'll be a tourney team but we won't be as bad as idiots like you seem to think. We will have one of the best back courts in the A10 with McBroom and Ash. Our front court should be pretty good too, with Manning, Glaze, Reggie, and Lancona eating up most of the minutes. Add in a solid group of freshman and a system that focuses on tough D and teamwork and I think we'll be alright.

Fine, I'll bite. So next year we'll mess up THEIR RPI? Do you think we will have an RPI of 175 or something? Honestly. MIZ is going to be mediocre again next year after Clarkson likely leaves for the NBA (and will be until they send Haith packing. Dude's an idiot). We will be near the top of the A-10 next year.

You act like Mizzou is some perennial powerhouse. Will we be as good next year as we are this year? No. But that's okay and obvious considering we're having one of the best years in our programs history.

I actually have pretty high hopes for next year. I'm not sure if we'll be a tourney team but we won't be as bad as idiots like you seem to think. We will have one of the best back courts in the A10 with McBroom and Ash. Our front court should be pretty good too, with Manning, Glaze, Reggie, and Lancona eating up most of the minutes. Add in a solid group of freshman and a system that focuses on tough D and teamwork and I think we'll be alright.

Next year will be fun to watch our guys develop...will have some ups and downs for sure but think we could still contend for a bye in Brooklyn.

Next year may be rough but I dont see why they wont be back in the dance in two years.

This years group of seniors made the tourney in their sophomore years. The group of freshman this year and the ones coming in next year are rated higher than the group of seniors we have now. They will still be playing the same defensive philosophy and with the experince gained next year I see no reason why they wont be top 25 again in two years.

I'm not a big fan of judging classes by the number of stars by their names, but Ive seen you talk up recruits rankings a few times on this board. So if you believe in the importance of stars by a recruits name why would this higher rated bunch of recruits not out perform the current seniors?