Teams we hope lose tonight

almaman

Monday games not much to follow of any importance. coupled with NHL in Black Sea and NBA in similarly modified all star break made it slim pickings for sports junkies.

Tuesday these playa's could go down; 'nova,either texas or Iowa State will go down as they f/o, Richmond slightly more than GW but good either way, KU, Virginia, Duke, San Diego State University Aztecs, Iowa, Kentucky, and the defending national champs. ten games to follow 2 with good results no matter what. report card by this time Wednesday.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday games not much to follow of any importance. coupled with NHL in Black Sea and NBA in similarly modified all star break made it slim pickings for sports junkies.

Tuesday these playa's could go down; 'nova,either texas or Iowa State will go down as they f/o, Richmond slightly more than GW but good either way, KU, Virginia, Duke, San Diego State University Aztecs, Iowa, Kentucky, and the defending national champs. ten games to follow 2 with good results no matter what. report card by this time Wednesday.

It was strange last year that some folks on here said being ranked was not a big deal. Huh? Being ranked gets you a LOT more coverage in print and ESPN. It helps to change the perception of your program. It's a sign of success. Like you, I now don't just follow conference games now, I follow how ranked teams perform and root for or against teams based on how it could help SLU move up in the polls.

It was strange last year that some folks on here said being ranked was not a big deal. Huh? Being ranked gets you a LOT more coverage in print and ESPN. It helps to change the perception of your program. It's a sign of success. Like you, I now don't just follow conference games now, I follow how ranked teams perform and root for or against teams based on how it could help SLU move up in the polls.

Every time our ranking comes out Miles Reynolds and Davell Roby tweet or retweet our place in the poll. If I remember correctly, Reynolds tweeted something at his teammate and Duke commit Jahlil Okafor saying something like "We are coming for Duke."

Recruits notice things like this. Recruits want to play for a school that gets its highlights on ESPN and that has a number next to its name. Casual fans notice these things. In terms of the team's play, I could care less about rankings. But in terms of recruiting, selling tickets, the Big East, and general awareness, you are completely on point.

yep the whole tournament thing makes NCAAMBB so cool. every game is another piece in the big puzzle.

All year I've been rooting for the following things:

- SLU to win as much as possible and rise in the rankings

- SLU to win the A-10. (this is basically a done deal at this point)

- A-10 to get as many team dancing as possible

- BE to get as few as possible (I believe part of what will make expansion happen is if they fall on their face a little. If they get 5 or 6 in, they'll believe everything is fine.)

- Mizzou to lose (just cause)

Sometimes these things conflict each other. Obviously Villanova losing would allow us to jump them if we win both games this week, but a Villanova win seriously damages Providence's NCAA hopes. I'm probably calling for Villanova.

Regarding GW and Richmond, its hard to know who to call for. Will Richmond really be a bubble team at the end of the season given all their injuries? Will GW be knocked off they bubble if the lose to Richmond and then us, making it 4 straight Ls? I'll probably be rooting for GW because I don't see Richmond keeping this up.

First off I like to see us run the table.

If we do have to take a loss, UMASS game. Its the last game of the regular season and UMASS has high RPI so the loss won't hurt us much. The regular season title championship would be a outright and take some pressure off the team. Also, I like to see UMASS, VCU, and GW get pretty good NCAA seeds with a St. Joe's or whoever getting a play-in seed. Want 5 A10 teams selected. Another reason, I love a win in Richmond, I developed a real dislike for VCU.

Then win the A10 Tourney,

If you mean to include winning the conference tourney in "running the table," I don't see how we could NOT get a #2 seed in that scenario. The problem is passing Wichita State or Kansas to get to St. Louis. Everybody acts like that's impossible, but especially with respect to the Shockers, all it would take is one off game or two.

If we do have to take a loss, UMASS game. Its the last game of the regular season and UMASS has high RPI so the loss won't hurt us much. The regular season title championship would be a outright and take some pressure off the team. Also, I like to see UMASS, VCU, and GW get pretty good NCAA seeds with a St. Joe's or whoever getting a play-in seed. Want 5 A10 teams selected. Another reason, I love a win in Richmond, I developed a real dislike for VCU.

IF we HAVE to lose a game, I'd prefer it be to a low rated team like George Mason. I think what is missing from our resume is big name wins and road wins at UMass and VCU would qualify. A loss to GM would be viewed as more of a fluke. I also don't want a home loss because those are painful to attend.

Of course, nobody wants to lose, but if you told me we would have one and I could pick it, GM is the one I'd take.

IF we HAVE to lose a game, I'd prefer it be to a low rated team like George Mason. I think what is missing from our resume is big name wins and road wins at UMass and VCU would qualify. A loss to GM would be viewed as more of a fluke. I also don't want a home loss because those are painful to attend.

Of course, nobody wants to lose, but if you told me we would have one and I could pick it, GM is the one I'd take.

Just tell us that if someone offered you two of next three that you would jump on it...that worked out nicely for us last time :)

Every time our ranking comes out Miles Reynolds and Davell Roby tweet or retweet our place in the poll. If I remember correctly, Reynolds tweeted something at his teammate and Duke commit Jahlil Okafor saying something like "We are coming for Duke."

Recruits notice things like this. Recruits want to play for a school that gets its highlights on ESPN and that has a number next to its name. Casual fans notice these things. In terms of the team's play, I could care less about rankings. But in terms of recruiting, selling tickets, the Big East, and general awareness, you are completely on point.

This makes Elliott Welmer look like the chess player of recruits with his verbal commit of the future. I hope Jason Tatum feel the heat.

Regarding GW and Richmond, its hard to know who to call for. Will Richmond really be a bubble team at the end of the season given all their injuries? Will GW be knocked off they bubble if the lose to Richmond and then us, making it 4 straight Ls? I'll probably be rooting for GW because I don't see Richmond keeping this up.

that's what i came up with too. I would root for GW because it would give Richmond 4 losses, but decided still more important to maintain any chance of having someone in tournament that we beat.

that's what i came up with too. I would root for GW because it would give Richmond 4 losses, but decided still more important to maintain any chance of having someone in tournament that we beat.

I can't see how Richmond can maintain their success, having lost Lindsey and Williams for the season. Meanwhile, GW is getting healthier and I think has a better chance to close the season strong. Also, I would rather have GW coming into the Fetz off of a win.

Agreed with all of the above except winning the A10. In theory, sure I of course would rather win and I will be in Brooklyn, so yes, that would be amazing to repeat. However, it is truly all about the Big Dance. I think we need to lose in Brooklyn and do so in the first or second round. After winning 3 games and 3 days we looked drained when we played Oregon last year. If that happens, then we fly cross-country to California (which is where most mock drafts have us thanks to WS and Kansas getting the preference for St. Louis) to play a Thursday/Saturday. That would be 5 games in 8 days + a trip cross-country. As we saw against VCU, when the game is tight, we will cut our roster down to 7 and our seniors will average 34+ minutes. I think 5 games in 8 days at those minutes is too much to ask for. While I do not promote trying to lose, perhaps increasing the frequency of rotations and giving the freshman more minutes in Brooklyn is in the best interest of our NCAA Tournament success.

Agreed with all of the above except winning the A10. In theory, sure I of course would rather win and I will be in Brooklyn, so yes, that would be amazing to repeat. However, it is truly all about the Big Dance. I think we need to lose in Brooklyn and do so in the first or second round. After winning 3 games and 3 days we looked drained when we played Oregon last year. If that happens, then we fly cross-country to California (which is where most mock drafts have us thanks to WS and Kansas getting the preference for St. Louis) to play a Thursday/Saturday. That would be 5 games in 8 days + a trip cross-country. As we saw against VCU, when the game is tight, we will cut our roster down to 7 and our seniors will average 34+ minutes. I think 5 games in 8 days at those minutes is too much to ask for. While I do not promote trying to lose, perhaps increasing the frequency of rotations and giving the freshman more minutes in Brooklyn is in the best interest of our NCAA Tournament success.

Of course we want to win the A10 tournament. We want the best seed possible. They are not going to send us west again. Never want to lose. No such thing as a good loss.