March 1st vs VCU Watch Party

Join your fellow Billiken fans at the "Billiken Basketball Watch Party" at The Post in Maplewood on Saturday, March 1st as the Bills battle VCU. The watch party will begin at 4:00 p.m. with tip off at 5:00 p.m. on ESPN 2. This will be a great opportunity to cheer on SLU with your fellow fans.

The Post in Maplewood (7372 Manchester Rd.) will offer $5 appetizers and $2 domestic bottles for SLU fans.

A special note to those people who wear SLU gear will receive a free drink (domestic draft or well drink). Prizes and giveaways will also be available.

My old stomping ground has gotten gentrified. My brothers and best friend went to M-RH, and I used to drink and play pool at the VFW Post on Big Bend & Hiawatha when I went to SLU. Cards SS Marty Marion lived a few doors down from there on Hiawatha back then when they had real jobs in the winter. We lived on Lindbergh Dr. when the trolley ran down the parkway into the city.

My old stomping ground has gotten gentrified. My brothers and best friend went to M-RH, and I used to drink and play pool at the VFW Post on Big Bend & Hiawatha when I went to SLU. Cards SS Marty Marion lived a few doors down from there on Hiawatha back then when they had real jobs in the winter. We lived on Lindbergh Dr. when the trolley ran down the parkway into the city.

Coach prior to Brehmer lived in Maplewood name escapes me at this time believe it was Bennington

It's basically South City for the hipsters who are still too scared to live on a State Street.

if I had money id buy property on Cherokee St., watch out for that area

Why? Nice place to visit for Mexican food, coffee, etc., but not a place I would ever want to live. The Mud House is a good place to grab breakfast and a coffee and I am a big fan of La Vallesana, I really like their tortas. My wife and I are big fans of the Firecracker Press and had our wedding invitations and save the dates made there. They have been selling Cherokee Street as the up and coming neighborhood since I was in college back in 2005, not sure it has really become what many hoped it would.

Why? Nice place to visit for Mexican food, coffee, etc., but not a place I would ever want to live. The Mud House is a good place to grab breakfast and a coffee and I am a big fan of La Vallesana, I really like their tortas. My wife and I are big fans of the Firecracker Press and had our wedding invitations and save the dates made there. They have been selling Cherokee Street as the up and coming neighborhood since I was in college back in 2005, not sure it has really become what many hoped it would.

These things take time. The neighborhood basically hit rock bottom in the 80s/90s and has been steadily improving over the last 10-15 years. The business district's success will inevitably spill over into the surrounding neighborhood. We've seen it happen in other parts of STL.

It's basically South City for the hipsters who are still too scared to live on a State Street.

Ha, nice description.

The Post is owned by a SLU grad and I know he has been trying to get some cross-promotional events and watch parties going for awhile. Glad to see it finally happening.

In honor of Jimbo, WE NEED MORE MEXICANS!

In all seriousness though, this city and region needs a lot more immigration. Hard to grow without it.

The yuppies are coming!!! The yuppies will need lofts

They have been selling Cherokee Street as the up and coming neighborhood since I was in college back in 2005, not sure it has really become what many hoped it would.

Are you kidding? It's taken a while, but think it has exceeded any expectations. It's to the point now where a lot of the Mexican families who used to work at the restaurants and grocery stores can't afford the rent to live right on Cherokee anymore.

I still love hanging out there, but frankly the reason why I wouldn't really want to live there is the fact that they're so far along already in the gentrification process.

Are you kidding? It's taken a while, but think it has exceeded any expectations. It's to the point now where a lot of the Mexican families who used to work at the restaurants and grocery stores can't afford the rent to live right on Cherokee anymore.

I still love hanging out there, but frankly the reason why I wouldn't really want to live there is the fact that they're so far along already in the gentrification process.

I stand corrected then, my apologies if I offended anyone that lives in the Cherokee neighborhood. From my visits which are fairly regular, it is certainly not an area I would choose to live and certainly would not be if I had a family. Although I do take my out of town coworkers to Cherokee Street for lunch and it always draws an interesting reaction. Assuming this is the case, my perception was flawed and it looks like it was because I found this which is pretty cool:

http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com/2013/11/12/next-great-neighborhood-cherokee-street-in-st-louis/

Let's hope they are all gay and lesbian and don't plan on adopting so that they won't have to leave for better schools!

Schools are an issue and will continue to be for years to come, but only 32% of households in the STL region have children. And if I had a nickel for every person who says they moved out of the city because of the schools but then ended up sending their kid to private school, I could afford to become more than just a "message board moron."