RIP Charlie Ries

bonwich

Obit in today's paper for the former Billiken. I was thinking he was about 1973, and looked it up and he played '72-'74. I don't remember how good he was, but I do remember that he was one of those guys who was always enthusiastic -- and his obit mentions how proud he was to be a Billiken.

Charlie was across the hallway from me freshman year (his freshman year also) on 3 Gries. Roomed with Tom Fisher, another player. So he played from 70-71 to 73-74. First year on the Freshmen team.

Charlie was a great guy. Many a nights went across the hall to bs basketball. Always a lot of laughs. Fisher, Paradowski and Charlie were very instrumental in getting us away tickets through my undergrad years. Places like Tulsa, Bradley, Drake, SIU, Notre Dame, Memphis, etc... I believe Charlie had a son that played at Kansas State.

Charlie did play at Cleveland HS and came with another player, Steve Dangos. Steve transferred to Mizzou after his sophomore year.

Really sad to see this. RIP Charlie.

Al, I can't recall him. Paradowski and I had a lot of classes together. Fisher was the guy from Texas who came with Polk as I recall. Polk was a good coach still don't know why he left.

Charlie playing time was curtailed till his senior year because the team was loaded. Harry Rogers, Mark Frailey and Carlos Martinez were the guards. All three, especially Harry, were very good. He did get plenty of PT his senior year (73-74) and averaged around 6 a game. The team was not very good and had 9-16 record. Concerning Steve Dangos, what I heard, he was higher get from Cleveland HS then Charlie. Earle, if you read this board, you probably know more. Steve (who lived down the hall on 3 Gries)was frustrated with the lack of PT. His sophomore year he made very clear he wanted out. Back then the floors had a phone in the hallway for everyone. I recall picking it up and the coach from SMU was on trying to get Steve. Steve moved on to Mizzou and did start after sitting out a year. But things went bad for Steve at Mizzou. Major confrontations with Stewart. If you google Dangos, Stewart and Mizzou, you can see how it was played out in the media with Stewart trashing Steve. As for Tom Fisher, Polk brought him with him from St Mary's Univ in Texas. Tom had a repution on being a shooter and was supposed to be the next Pete Maravich. Larry72, do you remember the Notre Dame game that featured Austin Carr. That was one of the first games of the 70-1 season with Fisher starting. Fisher could not hit the ocean from the pier that night. He was actually booed and Polk replaced him with Carlos Martinez. another sophomore from Chicago. Carlos started hitting with that line-drive shot of his and never lost his starting role. Tom was relegated to the deep bench and I don't think he got another second of PT till 3 years later in front of parents on his senior night. That was only 30 seconds.

Concerning Polk, the rap on him was he could not recruit. Harry Roger's class of Stallworth, Leonard (the Ghost), Paradowski, Lockette (who came as a JC transfer), Martinez, etc.. was mostily recruited by Buddy Brehmer, the previous coach. Buddy could recruit but could not coach. Also, from what I heard from the older players, he had issues. Buddy probably had one the most talented group SLU recruited but could not do anything with them. Players like Barry Orms, Rich Parks, Gene Moore, Rich Nieman, etc.. I think all these players ended up in either NBA or ABA. Orms I know played for the Baltimore Bullets (now Wash Wizards) and I recall watching Moore in the Nassau Coliseum playing with Julius Erving on the Nets.

Polk knew he was terrible recruiter and hired Dick Versace as an assistant to do it. Versace at the time was a hot shot HS coach at Gordon Tech in Chicago and he was to establish a Chicago pipeline. Versace initially brought with him a bunch of players, the only one recall is LeeArthur Scott. I used to go the freshmen games which Versace coached at the old Kiel and these players were outstanding. Problem was Versace had the mouth of a longshoreman. The old alums got offended and Versace was sent packing. This was unfortunate because Versace later had some very successful years at Bradley and with the NBA Indiana Pacers (don't recall how did with the Pacers). At Bradley he recruited and coached most notably Hershey Hawkins. If we would have kept Versace and he took over from Polk rather then Albrecht (who I think was an assistant to Polk), Coleman and Ekker, we might have avoided the Dark Ages of Billiken Basketball.

Polk was a good coach. He came to SLU with a very good rep. He had excellent years at Vandy and was known to be a defensive wiz. You have to remember that when Polk contract was not renewed it was a bad time for Saint Louis University. Rienart retired as president and was replaced by Dan o'Connell. He was awful administrator and had questionable ethics. If interested google a NY Times article about this character. We had an outstanding AD named Albus but he left about this time also. Albus was kind of 'visionary type' who foresaw the complete change of college basketball in the late 70s. He was very instrumental in getting the 73 NCAA Championship to St Louis and later getting that made for TV showdown UCLA vs NC State. Both these held at the old Arena. He left to become the commissioner of the newly formed Metro Conf which we later left the Valley for as a charter member. In the Metro, we were completely outclassed.

Good summary, Al. Brought back fond memories. I saw a few of those Frosh games. One player I recall was a guard named Nance. Kid looked like a player, but believe he and some others got in trouble his So year on a road trip and finished at SLU. I recall the ND game. The old arena finally had a decent crowd. We lost but it was close. I played golf with Carr in a tourney in Cleveland and he said the Billiken fans were rough. He was a class act. Martinez was a good player. He and Irving and a guy named Sam were a good rotation at the 1 & 2. Good old days, but these are better.

Charlie was a big time, highly publicized scorer at Cleveland High and had a good career at St. Louis U.

He went on to have a very successful business career in St. Louis, was well known, very active.

Charlie was talkative, fun loving, everybody liked him. Well, except some high school refs when his sons played. One or both played at DeSmet and Charlie let the zebras have it when they blew a call. Hilarious. His sons went on to be solid D-1 players.

Charlie was a great guy.

Good summary, Al. Brought back fond memories. I saw a few of those Frosh games. One player I recall was a guard named Nance. Kid looked like a player, but believe he and some others got in trouble his So year on a road trip and finished at SLU. I recall the ND game. The old arena finally had a decent crowd. We lost but it was close. I played golf with Carr in a tourney in Cleveland and he said the Billiken fans were rough. He was a class act. Martinez was a good player. He and Irving and a guy named Sam were a good rotation at the 1 & 2. Good old days, but these are better.

Your right Larry, all those players that Versace brought down from Chicago left with him. After SLU, Versace went on to be one Judd Heathcote assistants at Michigan State. I heard several showed up in Lansing with him.

Polk knew he was terrible recruiter and hired Dick Versace as an assistant to do it. Versace at the time was a hot shot HS coach at Gordon Tech in Chicago and he was to establish a Chicago pipeline. Versace initially brought with him a bunch of players, the only one recall is LeeArthur Scott. I used to go the freshmen games which Versace coached at the old Kiel and these players were outstanding. Problem was Versace had the mouth of a longshoreman. The old alums got offended and Versace was sent packing. This was unfortunate because Versace later had some very successful years at Bradley and with the NBA Indiana Pacers (don't recall how did with the Pacers). At Bradley he recruited and coached most notably Hershey Hawkins. If we would have kept Versace and he took over from Polk rather then Albrecht (who I think was an assistant to Polk), Coleman and Ekker, we might have avoided the Dark Ages of Billiken Basketball.

Polk was a good coach. He came to SLU with a very good rep. He had excellent years at Vandy and was known to be a defensive wiz. You have to remember that when Polk contract was not renewed it was a bad time for Saint Louis University. Rienart retired as president and was replaced by Dan o'Connell. He was awful administrator and had questionable ethics. If interested google a NY Times article about this character. We had an outstanding AD named Albus but he left about this time also. Albus was kind of 'visionary type' who foresaw the complete change of college basketball in the late 70s. He was very instrumental in getting the 73 NCAA Championship to St Louis and later getting that made for TV showdown UCLA vs NC State. Both these held at the old Arena. He left to become the commissioner of the newly formed Metro Conf which we later left the Valley for as a charter member. In the Metro, we were completely outclassed.

Wow. Thank you for the history lesson! It seems to me that the firing of Versace, a name I immediately recognized when you first mentioned him, is more of a reason that SLU is a sleeping giant than the administration's failing Coach Grawer some dozen years later regarding admitting Craig Upchurch. SLU could be more like Duke is now — even more so than Xavier and Gonzaga — had that travesty not occurred. Many of the complaints we have now would never have existed.

Wow. Thank you for the history lesson! It seems to me that the firing of Versace, a name I immediately recognized when you first mentioned him, is more of a reason that SLU is a sleeping giant than the administration's failing Coach Grawer some dozen years later regarding admitting Craig Upchurch. SLU could be more like Duke is now — even more so than Xavier and Gonzaga — had that travesty not occurred. Many of the complaints we have now would never have existed.

Versace is a name from his announcing games from his work on TNT when they first started doing NBA games. I believe he was let go by both SLU & Michigan St. He was a very good coach at Bradley in the 80s, 2 NCAA berths, an NIT championship, only 1 losing season. He jumped to the NBA the second he had the chance and was mediocre there. He was mentioned as being interested in the EIU job a couple years back that Spoonhour Jr took. He would have taken off for greener pastures if he had managed to stay at SLU. SLU would have been better off with Joe B. Hall who was head coach here for a couple days,

Versace is a name from his announcing games from his work on TNT when they first started doing NBA games. I believe he was let go by both SLU & Michigan St. He was a very good coach at Bradley in the 80s, 2 NCAA berths, an NIT championship, only 1 losing season. He jumped to the NBA the second he had the chance and was mediocre there. He was mentioned as being interested in the EIU job a couple years back that Spoonhour Jr took. He would have taken off for greener pastures if he had managed to stay at SLU. SLU would have been better off with Joe B. Hall who was head coach here for a couple days,

Versace didn't take off for the NBA like you would typically see. Bradley's president at the time used him as a sacrificial lamb for the NCAA.

Versace was one of the best recruiters in the country in his day. He brought a lot of talent from Chicago.

I didn't realize SLU fired him. I always assumed he left to take a HC job.

And yes - he is the one who set Dr. C up with Rick. And the one advising him on buying an NBA team.

Versace didn't take off for the NBA like you would typically see. Bradley's president at the time used him as a sacrificial lamb for the NCAA.

Versace was one of the best recruiters in the country in his day. He brought a lot of talent from Chicago.

I didn't realize SLU fired him. I always assumed he left to take a HC job.

And yes - he is the one who set Dr. C up with Rick. And the one advising him on buying an NBA team.

Versace was instrumental in the sale of the vancouver Grizzlies and their move to memphis.

Didn't albus start the Commissioners tournament that was held in St. Louis and competed directly with the NIT. Also believed that Polk had problems relating to the St. Louis area kids ie ray Wiley etc

Charlie was a great guy rip

Don't know about Albus being involved in a Commisioners tourney, but for those interested, he eventually went on to a successful career in sports marketing at Anheuser Busch and after leaving there probably 20 years ago, is today one of the most respected sports marketing minds in the biz. Good guy. Still lives in STL.

Albums was the force behind the commissioners tourney. In those days you had to win your league to go to the NCAA tournament. The commissioners tournament was for all the teams that came in second . At least one was held in STL. (can't remember how many they had) Bob Knight was here against his desires. I think attendance was poor. Don't know if it died under it's own weight or the NCAA expanding their field.

The NCIT was actually a NCAA sponsored event. It was an attempt at destroying the NIT. The first year played in St. Louis Indiana beat USC. That first year it was the 2nd place conference teams that were not able to get into the NCAAs and competed with the NIT for teams. The next year the NCAA expanded their field and the NCIT became at best a playoff for 3rd place teams and lower division 1 teams. Drake won the 2nd title over Arizona. After that the tourney was eliminated. SPUMAC played in the 2nd tournament losing in the first round.

I really enjoyed reading these posts about Charlie Ries. It sure brought back memories. Perhaps someone could verify something for me. I attended that great Notre Dame game in 1970-71. But the Freshman were playing when I arrived at the arena. I am almost certain they beat the Missouri Freshman team that night and I remember Ries and Dangos playing in that game and having very good nights but I only saw the end of the game. Also I hadn't realized that Versace was an assistant. I do remember some of the players that came in right before I left for the service. I believe some of the names were Vallott, Nance, and Eric Jones. I think they were all Chicago players.

I really enjoyed reading these posts about Charlie Ries. It sure brought back memories. Perhaps someone could verify something for me. I attended that great Notre Dame game in 1970-71. But the Freshman were playing when I arrived at the arena. I am almost certain they beat the Missouri Freshman team that night and I remember Ries and Dangos playing in that game and having very good nights but I only saw the end of the game. Also I hadn't realized that Versace was an assistant. I do remember some of the players that came in right before I left for the service. I believe some of the names were Vallott, Nance, and Eric Jones. I think they were all Chicago players.

Bob, Versace came a year or two after that.