Making the Trip to St. Louis

Dr. Gunnie

Greetings from a George Mason fan. The family and I will be making the trip to St Louis to watch George Mason get pummeled play the Billikens next weekend. I've never been to your arena before, and wanted to see if there are any recommendations for eating in the area. I'll have my 8 year old and 3 year old in tow, so looking for more of a family friendly type place. Anything close to the arena?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That recommendation comes with a disclaimer: the line is very, very long. They open at 11 and the line will be out of the door already by then. So give yourself plenty of time before the game (1:30 CST) if you plan on eating there.

Everyone is saying Pappy's... And I by no means disagree, but there can be a crowd there.

Across the street from campus are a couple of wonderful places to eat. I enjoy Triumph Grill, an American Bistro, is one of my favorite places in St. Louis. There is also The Field House which is basically high class bar fair. Both joints are in walking distance to the arena.

http://www.slu.edu/Documents/facilities/parking/SLU%20Parking%20Frost%20Campus.pdf

This link is a parking map of campus. Your best bet is probably to pay at Olive Compton Garage and make the short walk to the arena through our beautiful campus.

Have a great time!

Greetings from a George Mason fan. The family and I will be making the trip to St Louis to watch George Mason get pummeled play the Billikens next weekend. I've never been to your arena before, and wanted to see if there are any recommendations for eating in the area. I'll have my 8 year old and 3 year old in tow, so looking for more of a family friendly type place. Anything close to the arena?

Thanks in advance!

And you're gonna love Chaifetz. Best venue in college hoops!

I like Triumph grill which is near enough to the arena and should have little or no line. If you or your kids likes motorcycles, they have a small museum of old bikes in the premises with some really interesting pieces. There is no charge for checking the bikes after you eat.

I disagree that the best bet is to park in the garage. You can find a meter on the streets to the north and east of that garage and park on the street (still free on Saturdays?). The garage takes forever to get out of, and the streets will be wide open if you're coming down early to eat. Some more food options in the area (since an 8- and 3-year-old might not do well in Pappy's line):

Vito's

The Fountain on Locust

Field House

City Diner (Fox location)

Six Row Brewing

Welcome to the conference, and hope you guys enjoy St. Louis. It's a great arena.

One last thing Dr. Gunnie, if you are staying overnight and have a chance of going to any kind of show at the FOX do it. That is a place like no other I have ever seen. Just being able to go inside the FOX for a brief tour of the premises would be a very worthwhile thing to do while you are in town.

The Fabulous Fox theater is just a short walk up Grand Ave. away from the College Church which is also worth a visit. The Best Steak House mentioned earlier is across Grand Ave from the walk. It is a thrifty but surprisingly good place to eat that has been there since I was an undergrad in the early 60's. Not as new or fancy as the other places recommended that have opened since the Arena brought more folks to the neighborhood.

Your 8 year old will enjoy the museum underground below the arch run by the NPS describing the westward expansion. The little one will be awestruck when he looks up at the arch. Tell them about pioneers heading west by crossing the river before bridges were there.

Have fun.

I disagree that the best bet is to park in the garage. You can find a meter on the streets to the north and east of that garage and park on the street (still free on Saturdays?). The garage takes forever to get out of, and the streets will be wide open if you're coming down early to eat. Some more food options in the area (since an 8- and 3-year-old might not do well in Pappy's line):

Vito's

The Fountain on Locust

Field House

City Diner (Fox location)

Six Row Brewing

Welcome to the conference, and hope you guys enjoy St. Louis. It's a great arena.

Pistol has a good list going. I'll add The Shack. I had it after the Fordham game and it was awesome.

Also, I'm pretty sure the meters aren't free on Saturdays until after 7pm. I got a ticket a couple of years ago during a Saturday afternoon game.

Across the street from campus are a couple of wonderful places to eat. I enjoy Triumph Grill, an American Bistro, is one of my favorite places in St. Louis. There is also The Field House which is basically high class bar fair. Both joints are in walking distance to the arena.

Triumph is one of your favorite places in St. Louis? You need to get out more.

The Fabulous Fox theater is just a short walk up Grand Ave. away from the College Church which is also worth a visit. The Best Steak House mentioned earlier is across Grand Ave from the walk. It is a thrifty but surprisingly good place to eat that has been there since I was an undergrad in the early 60's. Not as new or fancy as the other places recommended that have opened since the Arena brought more folks to the neighborhood.

Your 8 year old will enjoy the museum underground below the arch run by the NPS describing the westward expansion. The little one will be awestruck when he looks up at the arch. Tell them about pioneers heading west by crossing the river before bridges were there.

Have fun.

Agreed on this. They don't make 'em like the Fox anymore. It's a trip down memory lane.