Some love from Bilas

Crewsorlose

3rd mid-major discussed below. Even though I hate people calling SLU a mid-major. The league got 5 teams in last year. They'll get 4 this year. The league is rated higher than the one that Louisville and UConn play in.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10291677&categoryid=2378529

Bilas reveals, whether intentional or not, how silly labels like "mid-major" are... Creighton is not considered mid-major, yet Wichita State is? Getting in the Big East would obviously change the perception of our program, even though it currently wouldn't really be a huge step up in competition.

BTW, are UCF, SMU and Houston now considered major programs because they are in a league with Louisville and UConn? I guess so.

SLU will win a Big East game before Butler does.

Way back in 2011 when Nolan Berry verbally committed to Butler, we were coming off our 12-19 season but I posted that by the time the kid suited up for Butler we would clearly have the better team and that Stevens would likely be gone. Check on both counts. We've now been better than them three years in a row. I don't think Stevens did a very good job recruiting in light of their Final Four runs.

Way back in 2011 when Nolan Berry verbally committed to Butler, we were coming off our 12-19 season but I posted that by the time the kid suited up for Butler we would clearly have the better team and that Stevens would likely be gone. Check on both counts. We've now been better than them three years in a row. I don't think Stevens did a very good job recruiting in light of their Final Four runs.

I realize Jones is out for the season (DE dominated him anyway), but you're right. Kellen Dunham and perhaps Kam Woods are the only 2 Butler players who would crack our rotation right now.

I realize Jones is out for the season (DE dominated him anyway), but you're right. Kellen Dunham and perhaps Kam Woods are the only 2 Butler players who would crack our rotation right now.

I haven't watched him this year, but i'd love to have last year's version of Dunham on our team.

Dunham has been pretty good. He's not the problem.

I agree Dunham is a nice player--I watched the end of the blow out last night because I thought that Berry might play and he did. He really has no clue on defense, not unususal for a freshman, and he looks soft but maybe a few years in the weightroom will make him a better player. He did not excell at all against the bench players from Creighton.

"Mid-major" as a term and the people who use it are lazy and ignorant. Couldn't agree more with ACE's statement above. It's inherently flawed. The sooner idiots stop accepting it as a label, the better.

Mid-major to me is more than just the conference... I think it also applies to how much people care about their sports programs. Mid-major programs tend to not care that much about their sports and therefore don't make huge investments (like the overwhelming majority of SLU students) whereas at programs like Xavier when they were in the A-10 and Gonzaga this was never really the case so they weren't exactly mid-majors although in a mid-major conference.

Obviously success and how much people care are highly correlated.... But I remember a thread just the other day about our ranked program not being able to draw students to games

Disagree that it's just a label because so many people take what they see and read from guys like Bilas as gospel. If he and other high-level basketball journalists think SLU is a mid-major, then SLU must be a mid-major. And that causes people to put a sort of mental ceiling on what we are as a program - and I'd sure hate for recruits to believe this.

Being called a mid-major and then praised as one of the best mid-majors - it's not any better. You're still a mid-major in their eyes. Congrats, you just got an A in remedial math. Maybe someday smart kids will consider you a peer. But not now.

This discussion of what a mid major is parallels the story of my life. I have always been labelled, as I assume many of you have been, and never considered to be at the same level regardless. Yes, labels are important in their own way. They certainly can be barriers as you say Pistol. However, we are what we are in real terms, label or no label. They will find out one way or the other how good SLU really is. And thank you Wiz for ramming this point home over and over again.

This discussion of what a mid major is parallels the story of my life. I have always being labelled, as I assume many of you have been, and never considered to be at the same level regardless. Yes, labels are important in their own way. They certainly can be barriers as you say Pistol. However, we are what we are in real terms, label or no label. They will find out one way or the other how good SLU really is. And thank you Wiz for ramming this point home over and over again.

True, but no question labels create recruiting barriers.

Jeez, Butler, X, and Creighton go from mid major darlings to big time bullies in seven months. Little surprised he left Zaga out of the discussion.

Disagree that it's just a label because so many people take what they see and read from guys like Bilas as gospel. If he and other high-level basketball journalists think SLU is a mid-major, then SLU must be a mid-major. And that causes people to put a sort of mental ceiling on what we are as a program - and I'd sure hate for recruits to believe this.

Being called a mid-major and then praised as one of the best mid-majors - it's not any better. You're still a mid-major in their eyes. Congrats, you just got an A in remedial math. Maybe someday smart kids will consider you a peer. But not now.

Let all the media be put on notice: If the (new) Big East isn't still above mid-major status once SLU joins, I will say some very bad things on their pages! (And when a nerd starts going off -- without profanity, of course -- then you had better watch out!)