Biedscheid Transferring from ND

Littlebill

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to disagree with take.

Guys all over town are making this mistake. When someone chooses to gangbang instead of play pro ball it's a failure on so many levels. Cam's story if told can save not only careers but lives.

Just now, thetorch said:

Have to disagree with take.

Guys all over town are making this mistake. When someone chooses to gangbang instead of play pro ball it's a failure on so many levels. Cam's story if told can save not only careers but lives.

From what I can tell, people aren’t upset about the telling of Cam’s story. It’s the timing. That stuff doesn’t have to be said right now. Give it some time.

4 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

From what I can tell, people aren’t upset about the telling of Cam’s story. It’s the timing. That stuff doesn’t have to be said right now. Give it some time.

Nah, nobody is talking about him in 2 days much less 2 weeks or months. Now is the time.

8 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Drew Hanlen is getting tore up by some guys.

I hear you. Beal basically came out and said “We know the story. Today’s not the day for it.”  

Always a sad story. Not just for basketball stars but all the kids that are getting involved in the drug and gang mess. Too many are dying way before their time. With all the recent shootings in St. L, Chicago, NYC, et al it's almost as if a lot of young people have adopted an I don't give an eff attitude. We'd better get it figured out, or it's only going to get worse. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Always a sad story. Not just for basketball stars but all the kids that are getting involved in the drug and gang mess. Too many are dying way before their time. With all the recent shootings in St. L, Chicago, NYC, et al it's almost as if a lot of young people have adopted an I don't give an eff attitude. We'd better get it figured out, or it's only going to get worse. 

For anyone who’s interested, there are 2 really good episodes of the Revisionist History podcast where he touches on some of this stuff through the context of educational inequality and how easy it can be to get sucked into that kind of life. I’m not ashamed to admit that the episode “Carlos Doesn’t Remember” brought me to tears.

38 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Drew actually cared about Cam the human being. That is more than can be said for many of those attacking Drew.  You know what is really disrespectful to Cam, turning this in to a racial issue.  Old Freddy Ruger doesn’t know the first thing about Cam or his family. Or even Halen for that matter, thinking Halen needs to clout chase.

Reinert310, AGB91 and dlarry like this

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Drew actually cared about Cam the human being. That is more than can be said for many of those attacking Drew.  You know what is really disrespectful to Cam, turning this in to a racial issue.  Old Freddy Ruger doesn’t know the first thing about Cam or his family. Or even Halen for that matter, thinking Halen needs to clout chase.

Or assuming that there weren’t black coaches along the way that felt the exact same way Hanlen does. I’m not going to turn this political (because there’s really nothing political about this tragic story), i don’t care if you’re left or right, it’s just crazy to me how the whole world seems to have turned into a pressure cooker. 

brianstl likes this

5 hours ago, dlarry said:

I thought Hanlen's response was thoughtful and well done.

people may complain about the timing but unfortunately this is the only time his message will be heard.

Regardless of what a person's actions or intentions are, one side of the aisle will complain.

3star_recruit likes this

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Regardless of what a person's actions or intentions are, one side of the aisle will complain.

Agreed.

I think it’s even worse than that when you put a thoughtful response on social media 98% of the people may agree with you but the 2% that don’t will form a vocal opposition such as the one Hanlen dealt with yesterday.

45 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Agreed.

I think it’s even worse than that when you put a thoughtful response on social media 98% of the people may agree with you but the 2% that don’t will form a vocal opposition such as the one Hanlen dealt with yesterday.

It’s like a Yelp restaurant review. 
people will have hundreds of meals with great service and food and not say a word.  When the same person has a negative experience they post a giant review ranting and raving about the restaurant.

On 7/24/2021 at 1:25 PM, thetorch said:

The last paragraph is reasonable and I don't see anything wrong with this tragedy being presented as a cautionary tale. But the first paragraph is awful. I wouldn't blame a friend or family member for being pissed about it. And to say he was "easily on his way to playing in the NBA" is hyperbole at best. He was not a one and done type talent - a Hughes or Jayson Tatum. He averaged 17 mpg and 6 ppg his freshman season. Sure, he could have had a very nice collegiate career, but an NBA career was unlikely.

BilliesBy40 likes this

1 hour ago, ACE said:

The last paragraph is reasonable and I don't see anything wrong with this tragedy being presented as a cautionary tale. But the first paragraph is awful. I wouldn't blame a friend or family member for being pissed about it. And to say he was "easily on his way to playing in the NBA" is hyperbole at best. He was not a one and done type talent - a Hughes or Jayson Tatum. He averaged 17 mpg and 6 ppg his freshman season. Sure, he could have had a very nice collegiate career, but an NBA career was unlikely.

Given that he was kicked out of Notre Dame, it is safe to say that "the streets" were having a negative impact on him during that freshman season & could have even before that.  Could he have been a one & done type talent if you put him in Tatum's situation / up-bringing?  I don't know /no way to answer that.  No doubt Cam was extremely talented either way.  Basketball Reference has him as ranked #46 in his recruiting class.  Of the 10 guys ranked 40-49, 5 of them played in the NBA.  The word "easily" is too much because I don't think anyone's path to the NBA is easy, but saying Cam had a good shot at playing in an NBA game isn't hyperbole.

stmdragons and almaman like this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Given that he was kicked out of Notre Dame, it is safe to say that "the streets" were having a negative impact on him during that freshman season & could have even before that.  Could he have been a one & done type talent if you put him in Tatum's situation / up-bringing?  I don't know /no way to answer that.  No doubt Cam was extremely talented either way.  Basketball Reference has him as ranked #46 in his recruiting class.  Of the 10 guys ranked 40-49, 5 of them played in the NBA.  The word "easily" is too much because I don't think anyone's path to the NBA is easy, but saying Cam had a good shot at playing in an NBA game isn't hyperbole.

I recall most rankings of Cam being in the 50-70 range, yes a talented player, but certainly not a surefire NBA player. Not a McDonald's All-American type player.  Hanlen is acting like he's hurt because one of his stable of talented young players didn't make the NBA. He comes across like he's viewing him as a commodity. And he's making this way too much about himself. This sentence is terrible "We tried to help him too many times & gave him far too many too many chances, but had to cut him off." 

It's understandable that people would take exception with that top paragraph.

stmdragons likes this