GDT: NC Who?

JettFlight5

We shouldn't take away anything away from yesterday about the play of Tanner. That was a bad basketball team and was badly coached. They were not exactly physically imposing. Better teams will be able to exploit the weak parts of his game.

Tanner has a chance to be very good, but his rebounding and D need work.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see TL's play improving both offensively and defensively. I beg to disagree with NH. I am a big fan of Grandy, but if you take the total game, I like TL. What NH thinks he lacks in defensive skill, he will pick up quickly. He has already come a long way since the beginning of the season. His playing time should increase with each game in my opinion

Re: GG, my daughter made the astute observation that he looks like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle when he rebounds.

Re: NCAT, its coaching staff was perhaps even worse than the referees. End of first half, throw up a crappy shot with 15 seconds left with absolutely no attempt to go for the last shot. End of second half, not even aware of which of its players had actually fouled out. Not to mention the incredibly annoying timeout well after the game had been decided.

Re: Gus Phoulup's sub, A for enthusiasm, B for articulation (although I wasn't a fan of his frequent Let's Get Ready To Rumble style), B- for announcing at appropriate times (although perhaps an autofail for talking during free throws), C for knowledge of the game, another potential autofail for "Dwight Evans" (although, if he regularly comes to games the rest of the year, he may actually think that's DE's name). But overall, given that Guy's been announcing since Bob Polk was coach and this was the only time this guy has announced this year, it's a no-brainer who should win the job. Unfortunately, we all know that the no-brainer will win the job.

He did a few stretches in I believe 3 of our World Record games including the last 4 to 5 hours of the basketball game. We had other guys that wanted to get paid. He did it for the charity and came out at least 2-3 times each time he participated.

So I may be a bit biased, but I liked him. He does have a big kind of gruff voice so I can see the lets get ready to rumble reference

I see TL's play improving both offensively and defensively. I beg to disagree with NH. I am a big fan of Grandy, but if you take the total game, I like TL. What NH thinks he lacks in defensive skill, he will pick up quickly. He has already come a long way since the beginning of the season. His playing time should increase with each game in my opinion

In which games have you seen his D improving? The last time he played double digit minutes was Rockhurst. It is impossible to say you've seen his D improving when Tanner hasn't really seen the court lately in meaningful minutes.

I have no doubt that Lancona has a good chance to be a much better player than Glaze some day. He has better height and far more offensive tools. But right now he is weak and not quick against good D-1 forwards that Glaze can match up with athletically. I hope you are right and that Tanner is improving. If he could see important minutes come february I would love that, same goes for Reggie. But right now I think Grandy is definitely the best option.

We shouldn't take away anything away from yesterday about the play of Tanner. That was a bad basketball team and was badly coached. They were not exactly physically imposing. Better teams will be able to exploit the weak parts of his game.

Tanner has a chance to be very good, but his rebounding and D need work.

Not sure I totally agree that we can't take anything away from his play yesterday, but agree that his D still needs work. I don't think his rebounding is as weak as we're making it out to be, but our sample size is pretty small.

I just don't see what GG brings to the table besides energy. He had a couple of nice boards yesterday, but he also had a few uncontested rebounds. His D is as bad or worse than TL's. While GG is quicker, he still looks lost on D, often times leading to an open shot/uncontested layup. I'm not sure we are any better defensively with GG rather than TL in the game.

Not sure I totally agree that we can't take anything away from his play yesterday, but agree that his D still needs work. I don't think his rebounding is as weak as we're making it out to be, but our sample size is pretty small.

I just don't see what GG brings to the table besides energy. He had a couple of nice boards yesterday, but he also had a few uncontested rebounds. His D is as bad or worse than TL's. While GG is quicker, he still looks lost on D, often times leading to an open shot/uncontested layup. I'm not sure we are any better defensively with GG rather than TL in the game.

I'm sorry Moy, but Grandy's D is much better than Tanner in my opinion. I don't think he gets beat nearly as often as you think he does.

I have probably seen more games than you NH with you studying in Nashville and all. From the games that I have seen him play in (is that better?), and the games that I have seen Grandy play in, TL adds more to the total picture right now. Tanner is not weak, I beg to disagree, and what makes you think that a 6"6" Glaze is a monster against a good division 1 team?

PA was Shawn Balint - he used to do news updates on KTRS 550, he did one of the games last year.

The best fill in was Randy Moehlman, the Rascals and Mizzou football PA. I think he even posted on the board before/after his fill in game.

We can only hope the Gus Fowlups will take his other day off this season.

I have probably seen more games than you NH with you studying in Nashville and all. From the games that I have seen him play in (is that better?), and the games that I have seen Grandy play in, TL adds more to the total picture right now. Tanner is not weak, I beg to disagree, and what makes you think that a 6"6" Glaze is a monster against a good division 1 team?

I've been lucky enough to see every game this year either in person or on the computer. It seems as if we will have to agree to disagree. I don't think Glaze is a monster, but I think he is certainly physically stronger than the freshman Lancona.

I'm sorry Moy, but Grandy's D is much better than Tanner in my opinion. I don't think he gets beat nearly as often as you think he does.

One on one, GG is probably the better defender. But GG gets lost so often when teams run their sets against us. It often leads to an open shooter or an easy inside shot.

GG is definitely stronger and not afraid to mix it up.

We would probably need to see TL more to know for sure, but in my opinion, the drop off in defense with TL out there as opposed to GG would be nominal.

I just think Tanner is going to have real trouble matching up against physically stronger players defensively and on the boards right now. What we have seen right now is what he can do against players that really don't know what a weight lifting program is.

Now, give Tanner a summer in the off season program and I think he is ready to take away most of GG's minutes.

I just think Tanner is going to have real trouble matching up against physically stronger players defensively and on the boards right now. What we have seen right now is what he can do against players that really don't know what a weight lifting program is.

Now, give Tanner a summer in the off season program and I think he is ready to take away most of GG's minutes.

Good points. I hope that we see more of him as the season progresses. I will say that JC still has me confused when it comes to player rotation.

Good points. I hope that we see more of him as the season progresses. I will say that JC still has me confused when it comes to player rotation.

Agree on this last point for sure.

I also don't like the idea of Barnett as one of our five main contributors. I'm hoping one of Reggie, Tanner or Grandy can step up.

Rather than TL, I'd prefer to see more RA. The crossover, drive, and finish he made near the end of the game was sick.

TL and GG are completely different players. Imo THough RA hasn't shown the ability to hit a 12 foot jumper he stretches the D more than GG due to his ability to create from 12 feet while facing the basket.

I'd like to see more of a straight rotation at positions with RL and JM at the 5 ....RL gets 28-30

GG, TL, and RA at the 4. ... Don't know how to split this up, matchups would be in play

DE, JB at the 3 ..... DE gets 30+

and a rotation of JJ, MM, And AB at the 1-2 .... 26 to 27 minutes each riding the hot hand for a little more with MC getting some time as the situation allows

I've been lucky enough to see every game this year either in person or on the computer. It seems as if we will have to agree to disagree. I don't think Glaze is a monster, but I think he is certainly physically stronger than the freshman Lancona.

What he may lack in some strength as you say, he makes up in height differential, and the strength isue is debatable No Hope.

I wish this board would stop calling for changes to the rotation and greater minutes for all of the freshman. One of the reasons we have played better the last 3 or 4 games is because Crews has defined his rotation and is playing fewer people. The reason Crawford played in the first half was foul trouble .We needed another 2/3 player. An 8 man rotation without foul trouble is ideal in my opinion. More than that and it becomes disjointed.

I wish this board would stop calling for changes to the rotation and greater minutes for all of the freshman. One of the reasons we have played better the last 3 or 4 games is because Crews has defined his rotation and is playing fewer people. The reason Crawford played in the first half was foul trouble .We needed another 2/3 player. An 8 man rotation without foul trouble is ideal in my opinion. More than that and it becomes disjointed.

if you think the rotation is wrong, the board can call for whatever they want, that is what this board has been all about as long as I have been involved. If there wasn't some disagreement, what a boring board we would have.

That's the point. The board calling for change is wrong and the proof is we have been playing better with a shorter rotation. The board should limit themselves to important matters like Guy Phillips or balloons.

There is an issue with our rotation if JB and GG are on the court at the same time. And although I like what we're seeing from JM, when you add JM to GG and JB, I don't think that is a solid rotation. Yes, we played a good game against ISU, but we only played a decent half yesterday. The first half was u-g-l-y.

I agree with skip's post above re: player rotation.

That's the point. The board calling for change is wrong and the proof is we have been playing better with a shorter rotation. The board should limit themselves to important matters like sGuy Phillips or balloons.

yes, we have been playing better, but that doesn't mean a different shorter rotation wouldn't be better. You can comment on Guy Phillips or the balloons all you want.

RA crossover has became predictable he has used it 3 times in the same spot this year... He also used that same crossover in that sick poster dunk in high school

Really? Didn't appear the defender from NC A&T predicted it.

And ... couldn't that be said for almost every basketball play? Rob Loe on the pick and pop ... predictable. Jordair on the drive to the left .... predictable. JB on the missed drive ... predictable

Really? Didn't appear the defender from NC A&T predicted it.

And ... couldn't that be said for almost every basketball play? Rob Loe on the pick and pop ... predictable. Jordair on the drive to the left .... predictable. JB on the missed drive ... predictable

Not saying I don't like it but I was watching with family and when he started to face up the defender I immediately said "watch this crossover" or something along those lines... its just been with his left and in the exact same spot three times this year. It will definitely work I just think it may start to come up in scouting reports... depending on how much pt he starts to get.