GDT: NC Who?

JettFlight5

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MC called for the alleyoop, which shocked me. Rammer said it was for RA and intercepted by MC but it wasn't. I think there was a little hesitation from the time he called for it and it was thrown. That would have been awesome.

The announcer today was not so great either, doing his best Guy imitation.

Wow, I figured this was a night game. Should have checked.

79-57, final.

Another big game for Dwight. He has now attempted 34 free throws in the past two games.

Jett had a quiet night. 3 points, 2 assists, no rebounds. I haven't caught up with the GDT yet- did he get hurt?

79-57, final.

Another big game for Dwight. He has now attempted 34 free throws in the past two games.

Jett had a quiet night. 3 points, 2 assists, no rebounds. I haven't caught up with the GDT yet- did he get hurt?

Foul trouble. Plus the game was in hand no need to leave him in there

79-57, final.

Not hurt that I could tell, but looked fairly disinterested.

I thought there was a lot to like about this game and a lot to take away from it. First of all, the Wiz had NC A&T rated as an F team or a cupcake as he likes to call them. I thought that they had a little bit of talent on both sides of the ball, there was just very little discipline or plan on how to stop us. After all they did make the NCAA tournament as a 16 seed last season, so this was a decent win in my eyes.

I'm sold on McBroom. Back-to-back great games out of him and he is shooting the three ball with tremendous confidence right now. One thing that really impressed me today as opposed to our guards in other games was his ability to really establish a tempo and really control it throughout. I thought he showed great maturity for only sophomore and I expect him JJ and MM to start getting more equal minutes going forward.

The million dollar question for me right now is this. What does Crews (or any coach for that matter) see in GG that assets the team more than TL would? In the more minutes he got than usual today, TL looked very comfortable on all areas of the court. There's a particular flow in his game that I really like about him and the fact that he's a lefty even makes him more of a threat. Grandy treats the ball like a hot potato when he gets it as opposed to Lancona who actually has the ability to make an intelligent play with the ball. I would love to see the minutes between these two start equalling out because Lancona will be a star.

Plus I saw Billiken Roy today in the band playing the trumpet like a pro, so it was a good day.

I was there and enjoyed the game. I thought NC A&T had more power than I expected them to have but were pretty disorganized. I liked to see Reggie out there and scoring, as a matter of fact all freshmen scored. Attendance was OK given the fact that school is off and many of the kids were back home.

The million dollar question for me right now is this. What does Crews (or any coach for that matter) see in GG that assets the team more than TL would? In the more minutes he got than usual today, TL looked very comfortable on all areas of the court. There's a particular flow in his game that I really like about him and the fact that he's a lefty even makes him more of a threat. Grandy treats the ball like a hot potato when he gets it as opposed to Lancona who actually has the ability to make an intelligent play with the ball. I would love to see the minutes between these two start equalling out because Lancona will be a star.

If you watch Lancona play he is not very good defensively and he isn't tough down low at all. I don't mean to hate on his game, as I think those are very normal issues with a freshman big guy. And Tanner does also look very talented offensively and I expect him to be very good down the road.

But right now, Glaze is light years ahead of him defensively and as a rebounder.

Evans changing up his game a lot today. More drives to the hole, and letting loose some jumpers. Good to see. He's more effective when he mixes it up. Getting to the line like crazy. He's on a better pace than the Hughes record year for most made & attempted.

McBroom continues to improve. Almost starting to like his defense.

McCall hit a couple 3s and scored his 1,000 point. As far as I can tell he may be the only member of the 1,000 point club not to have scored 20 points in a single game.

A good game for the Bills although it won't help our numbers.

The highlight for me (to know one's surprise) is 3 D. While NCAT is an average shooting team from the arc (31.58%), we stop them at 1-12 (6.67%) ...super D. Nice job Bills. Also, the FT% was impressive at 78%...even more so when you consider we took a lot of shots....25-32.

Got a lot of players into the game....another positive.

Although you can't tell by the score, this wasn't a bad game for NCAT. There Achilles is TO....usualyy about 17 /game....this game only 12. However, it doesn't change the fact they are still an F team.

But even playing a cupcake, I thought this was a valuable game. Bills played hard and gave a good effort with a lot of fine performances. I did not have the feeling we played down to their level.

A good victory to carry into the break while we await a much tougher team....Vandy.

If you watch Lancona play he is not very good defensively and he isn't tough down low at all. I don't mean to hate on his game, as I think those are very normal issues with a freshman big guy. And Tanner does also look very talented offensively and I expect him to be very good down the road.

But right now, Glaze is light years ahead of him defensively and as a rebounder.

The slight drop off in rebounding that you get with Lancona instead of Grandy is made up for with his presence on the offensive end. At times, we talk about how the bills have scoring droughts and need offensive contribution. Lancona spreads the floor as a shooting 4, something the Grandy could only dream of. Sure, Lancona might pull down a few less rebounds per game, but his offense isn't even in the same league as Grandy.

Re: GG, my daughter made the astute observation that he looks like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle when he rebounds.

Re: NCAT, its coaching staff was perhaps even worse than the referees. End of first half, throw up a crappy shot with 15 seconds left with absolutely no attempt to go for the last shot. End of second half, not even aware of which of its players had actually fouled out. Not to mention the incredibly annoying timeout well after the game had been decided.

Re: Gus Phoulup's sub, A for enthusiasm, B for articulation (although I wasn't a fan of his frequent Let's Get Ready To Rumble style), B- for announcing at appropriate times (although perhaps an autofail for talking during free throws), C for knowledge of the game, another potential autofail for "Dwight Evans" (although, if he regularly comes to games the rest of the year, he may actually think that's DE's name). But overall, given that Guy's been announcing since Bob Polk was coach and this was the only time this guy has announced this year, it's a no-brainer who should win the job. Unfortunately, we all know that the no-brainer will win the job.

The slight drop off in rebounding that you get with Lancona instead of Grandy is made up for with his presence on the offensive end. At times, we talk about how the bills have scoring droughts and need offensive contribution. Lancona spreads the floor as a shooting 4, something the Grandy could only dream of. Sure, Lancona might pull down a few less rebounds per game, but his offense isn't even in the same league as Grandy.

It wouldn't be a "slight" drop off in rebounding. It would be a drastic drop off. Grandy rebounds at a rate about twice as high as Lancona does (small sample size alert). Additionally, Tanner has not been good defensively in the minutes he has gotten. And yes, a stretch 4 would be nice, however it is not the critical piece the bills are missing, given that Rob can already stretch the floor as a 5.

I haven't been thrilled with Grandy's play either but I still think he has the best shot at moving into the starting 4 spot, especially given Reggie's injury.

TL pulled down some pretty nice boards in traffic down low yesterday.

TL might be slower than GG, but he already looks to be more defensively sound.

I'm sorry, but GG still looks lost on D. I suspect RA and TL will eat up a lot of GG's minutes by the end of the year.

It wouldn't be a "slight" drop off in rebounding. It would be a drastic drop off. Grandy rebounds at a rate about twice as high as Lancona does (small sample size alert). Additionally, Tanner has not been good defensively in the minutes he has gotten. And yes, a stretch 4 would be nice, however it is not the critical piece the bills are missing, given that Rob can already stretch the floor as a 5.

I haven't been thrilled with Grandy's play either but I still think he has the best shot at moving into the starting 4 spot, especially given Reggie's injury.

Rob Loe has played much better of late, which allows for more time for Tanner's game to develop. TL will be very, very good in Billiken Blue.

Don't think Lancona is quite on Glazes level rebounding but I thought he played some of his best D last night including some pretty impressive boards. Not to mention I counted 2 or 3 boards we lost or almost lost last night when grandy was fighting our own guys. At one point Rob yelled at him for ripping the ball out of his hands and out of bounds.