HS Class of 2014 Updates

Pistol

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been keeping official tabs, but my recollection is that all of our recruits (except maybe Gillman) had solid BCS offers. It is perhaps the most telling "unofficial" stat about the rise of the program. Here is what I found:

Jolly - Colorado and TCU

Reynolds - LSU

Davell Roby - LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, MU, Arkansas, Wake Forest

Marcus Bartley - Northwestern

Milik - Auburn, Minnesota, and Iowa

Gillman committed very early and was expected to be a longer term project, so it isn't fair to benchmark his offers at the time.

I believe Creighton was a finalist for Bartley's services as well.

Roby was right in SEC country. This staff is getting talent.

Yeah, but I think most of those SEC offers were not truly individual offers as they were part of a package that included his teammates Leron Black and Chris Chiozza. While he could be a really good player for us, I would not base that off that list of offers.

Same goes for Milik, I would question whether he had a committable offer from Minnesota and others. I don't think it really matters, I just don't think we really beat out many BCS schools for the kid. Some of his quotes would lead one to assume he feels like he was overlooked.

It is always tough to know what you have in a recruiting class, it seems like all fan bases tend to overhype their recruits. On paper, none of the kids individually overly excite me, but collectively it looks like a nice class. As we have seen recently, some guys far exceed their recruiting rankings and press clippings while others do not. Hopefully we have a few guys in this class that play above their ratings as none appear to be "rated."

Yeah, but I think most of those SEC offers were not truly individual offers as they were part of a package that included his teammates Leron Black and Chris Chiozza. While he could be a really good player for us, I would not base that off that list of offers.

Same goes for Milik, I would question whether he had a committable offer from Minnesota and others. I don't think it really matters, I just don't think we really beat out many BCS schools for the kid. Some of his quotes would lead one to assume he feels like he was overlooked.

It is always tough to know what you have in a recruiting class, it seems like all fan bases tend to overhype their recruits. On paper, none of the kids individually overly excite me, but collectively it looks like a nice class. As we have seen recently, some guys far exceed their recruiting rankings and press clippings while others do not. Hopefully we have a few guys in this class that play above their ratings as none appear to be "rated."

Man you're crazy. I'm PUMPED about Miles and excited about Roby.

My rankings of the incoming recruits:

1) Reynolds

2) Roby

3) Yarbrough

4) Bartley

5) Jolly

6) Gillmann

Man you're crazy. I'm PUMPED about Miles and excited about Roby.

My rankings of the incoming recruits:

1) Reynolds

2) Roby

3) Yarbrough

4) Bartley

5) Jolly

6) Gillmann

TheChosenOne is definitely blind or refuses to recognize that the talent level of next season's team far exceed any in modern history. Next year will be a rebuilding year but I suspect it will be a fun one to watch. These new Billikens look great so far.

As for the ranking of players, I would chill with that for now. Surprises will be the norm for next season.

I agree wholeheartedly with TheChosenOne's analysis. No one player overwhelms as a recruit but all seem individually very solid. To me, the two players whose stock seemed most on the rise when they committed to SLU were Bartley and Jolly. As such, I think I may be most excited about those two.

Out of McCall, Evans, Jett and Loe did any one player truly stand out? Loe had the most hype but much of that was still unknown.

All these guys appear talented enough to be very good Billikens. The test will come in cohesion and player development. On the surface none are obvious difference-makers from Day 1, but I expect at least one or two to emerge and have very strong freshmen years. I am very excited for next season, even if wins will be tougher to come by than I think some expect.

I'm also VERY excited to see the development of Crawford, Lancona and Agbeko. I could see any one of those guys stepping up to be on the better end of A-10 players next season.

Out of McCall, Evans, Jett and Loe did any one player truly stand out?

Are you kidding? That core of players gave us 3 NCAA appearances. This year's 19 game winning streak. Ranked as high as 12th. Etc, etc..

Individually, they were pretty darn good. Jett, A10 POY. Evans, last years A10 Tourney MVP and 1st team. McCall, just good solid basketball. Loe, with his passing ability,

I hope this incoming group with the current freshmen are as good because this group set the standard very high.

Are you kidding? That core of players gave us 3 NCAA appearances. This year's 19 game winning streak. Ranked as high as 12th. Etc, etc..

Individually, they were pretty darn good. Jett, A10 POY. Evans, last years A10 Tourney MVP and 1st team. McCall, just good solid basketball. Loe, with his passing ability,

I hope this incoming group with the current freshmen are as good because this group set the standard very high.

No one's denying the 2010 class's college exploits, but they're making the point that, in Aug. 2010, none of them appeared to be spectacular. Indeed, did we really, at that time, think they any of them would be stars along the lines of Liddell, Lisch, Jeffers, Love, or Perry (let alone Claggett and Highmark)? I don't recall any such projections, but they certainly exceeded the initial expectations.

That's what we're hoping for with the 2013 and '14 classes, even though none of them, so far, is projected stardom.

I meant when they were recruits. All seemed like solid recruits but it was hard to know how good each individually would be.

Obviously Jett and Evans will go down as particularly standout players from a loaded class in general.

TheChosenOne is definitely blind or refuses to recognize that the talent level of next season's team far exceed any in modern history. Next year will be a rebuilding year but I suspect it will be a fun one to watch. These new Billikens look great so far.

As for the ranking of players, I would chill with that for now. Surprises will be the norm for next season.

I am just expressing my opinion based on what I have read and the little I have seen of these kids. I think they make for a nice class collectively, but I am not sure there is one guy that I would say is definitely going to be a big time player for us. Next spring I may be saying three of the guys are going to be big time players and be extremely pleased with the class. I personally like to take the wait and see approach to recruits especially recruits I have not seen a whole lot of. This is just me, feel free to get as excited as you want to.

No one's denying the 2010 class's college exploits, but they're making the point that, in Aug. 2010, none of them appeared to be spectacular. Indeed, did we really, at that time, think they any of them would be stars along the lines of Liddell, Lisch, Jeffers, Love, or Perry (let alone Claggett and Highmark)? I don't recall any such projections, but they certainly exceeded the initial expectations.

That's what we're hoping for with the 2013 and '14 classes, even though none of them, so far, is projected stardom.

There was massive anticipation for the incoming 2010 class on this board. McCall and Loe were thought to be the stars moreso than Jett and Evans, but it was being hailed as the best SLU class in a long time from the moment Loe rounded out the class.

Then Kwamain and Willie got kicked out of school and everyone lost their mind.

The initial impressions to the open practice were overwhelmingly positive.

Lisch and Liddell were local HS stars so there was naturally a lot of hype for them.

Ditto for Claggett and Highmark (I was pretty young, but I remember Julian Winfield being the most hyped)

Classes with local stars that fans have seen play many times get the most hype. That's just the way it is.

Any fan who has been around for more than a single recruiting cycle understands that HS recruits are prospects and you don't get too excited until they start playing against D1 competition.

None of us know how good these recruits will be a the next level, but I think it is positive that we are now having recruits select us over LSU, Auburn, and UNLV instead of Eastern Illinois, Morehead State, and the like. The ghost of Soderberg may have finally left the building.

One positive with this class is that, with the exception of MY, our recruits were key role players on some very good HS and prep teams. If I'm correct, two of them, Roby and Reynolds, played alongside some of the top players in the nation. Point being, I don't think they are coming here w/ the idea they expect to be individual stars, but rather be vital parts of a whole team. That is an excellent mindset for building a team. It's what we've had over the last 3 years, and it was a very enjoyable ride. Also, Reynolds and Roby, out shone their more highly regarded teammates in big games. So, they can rise to the occassion. Wasn't it Reynolds that really led WY in their championship game and not his number one ranked Duke bound teammate? All FR, no matter how talented, have to make an adjustment to be effective at the next level. It depends upon their commitment to the greater good, how they take to more demanding coaching, and how dedicated they are to getting better every day. Sight unseen, I have a good feeling about this group. I also have a good feeling about our Sophs, as they did show us flashes last year.

None of us know how good these recruits will be a the next level, but I think it is positive that we are now having recruits select us over LSU, Auburn, and UNLV instead of Eastern Illinois, Morehead State, and the like. The ghost of Soderberg may have finally left the building.

Hey now, Sodie straight stole Husak right out from under Elon. Respect.

Based on Verbal Commits, we are recruiting better players than we were 4 years ago.
Evans 2.5, Jett 2.5, Loe 2.5, McCall 2.3 and Jake 2 for an average of 2.4.
Roby 3, Bartley 2.7, Reynolds 2.7, Milik 2.7 Jolly 2.7 and Gillman 2.5 for an average of 2.7.

Picking up .3 is a significant move in the right direction and it is across the board. 2,5 was the lowest rating our class got this year and the highest rating we had 4 years ago.

Crews and company deserve a tip of the hat. Of course the proof is in the pudding. player development, injuries, chemistry, character and other factors will come into play. But taking a snap shot of 2 large freshmen classes, I am much happier looking at a group that is consistently rated higher than if we were looking at a class that was rated the same or lower.

I hope you all have a happy Easter!

Based on Verbal Commits, we are recruiting better players than we were 4 years ago.

Evans 2.5, Jett 2.5, Loe 2.5, McCall 2.3 and Jake 2 for an average of 2.4.

Roby 3, Bartley 2.7, Reynolds 2.7, Milik 2.7 Jolly 2.7 and Gillman 2.5 for an average of 2.7.

Picking up .3 is a significant move in the right direction and it is across the board. 2,5 was the lowest rating our class got this year and the highest rating we had 4 years ago.

Crews and company deserve a tip of the hat. Of course the proof is in the pudding. player development, injuries, chemistry, character and other factors will come into play. But taking a snap shot of 2 large freshmen classes, I am much happier looking at a group that is consistently rated higher than if we were looking at a class that was rated the same or lower.

I hope you all have a happy Easter!

Thanks for the comparisons. Do you have the ranking numbers for this past year's three (3) freshmen: Tanner, McCall and Reggie.

Yes most posters thought they would be stars that would exceed the accomplishments of the players you mentioned. Mostly because they believed that Rick Majerus had an eye for and could develop talent. However, I think it was nearly unamimous that we all believed that the team would out perform those teams. So rationally I'd say yes I thought they'd be better.