GDT: So, Valparaiso

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Valpo for some odd reason went back to a man to man there.

Evans the board and put back. 26-18.

Anothr foul on the bills.

Valpo in double bonus with 6 left

VU has played so much zone this year. I guess Bryce was trying to fool Crews by playing enough man to fool him. But I really think it back fired.

On twitter they are saying it will be tough to get a replay on the Jett block but stay tuned it may happen.

I didn't get to see or listen to the game tonight and it is hard to tell from the GDT.

What happened in the last 5 minutes up by 10 cruising and suddenly we are fighting for a tip in at the buzzer?

I can't really recall it all to recap it for you, but there was a two-minute penalty kill from the under-4 timeout with the Bills leading by 4. Valpo had several cracks at the basket but couldn't score. When Jett finally corralled a rebound, he was fouled but missed the front end. Then, after a Valpo miss, Jett again missed the front end. (If he's really going to be the point guard, he's going to have to shore up the free-throw shooting!) Still up four, the Bills forced a long desperation 3 that was an absolute brick... but somehow caromed into the basket. Dwayne was fouled and made one of two. Valpo then got a layup to tie the game at 65 with 3.6 or 3.8 left.

Yes, he got tangled with Valpo's center going for a rebound, took an elbow to the side of the head and crumpled to the floor, where he lay motionless for more than a minute.

Pretty sure it was prior to the Valpo guy shooting. Valpo got ball around the top corner of the key. Reggie was down in his stance. As the Valpo player spinned to go toward the basket, his elbow came up and caught Reggie right in the temple and he crumpled over. Not sure I truly understand how this wasn't a flagrant. I know they mentioned that he was down in his stance, but I thought any elbow to the head was automatically a flagrant. I heard the refs explanation, but nothing I've heard before...

Did they call any foul at all?

No foul. They did go to the monitors and look at. I can't remember the exact explanation, but it was something like Reggie was getting down in his stance so his head was lower than it usually would be which meant it wasn't a flagrant 1 or something. Not sure if the 101.1 radio feed had a better explanation. I agree that I was surprised Crews didn't argue more not that it really would have helped. I was surprised a bigger deal of that was not made. Kind of wish it would have been more impartial announcers (neither billiken or valpo) to get a true read on the play. If Crews was asked about it after the game, I'd love to hear his response and the explanation given to him.

Right??? I thought the only question was going to be whether he was ejected or allowed to stay. What the hell happened there ?

I have to agree with the no call. I heard the explanation from the refs and saw the play. RA dipped himself down by the defenders waist; so RA's head was pretty much at the guys waistline when RA made a move to get around his defender. The defender boxed him out and instead of boxing out RA on his waist or stomach his head happened to be there and the defenders elbow made contact with RAs head. This all happened in a split second.

I dont know what the official rule is, but when I saw the replay while RA was down I said the same thing that the refs came back and said. It wasn't anyones fault, it was just a bad accident.

Not talking technically about basketball but about head injuries here. The thinnest bone coverage of the brain is in the temporal area. The temporal bone is thin and may break easily when punched hard by a pointed object (an elbow may qualify). They may have transferred Reggie to the hospital for a needed CT of the head to rule out a skull fracture, particularly a depressed skull fracture. We will know when we find out what the tests showed. I assume he is OK, he was moving all extremities (fingers included) visibly in the TV feed. We need patience to wait for the results on Reggie. I hope an pray all is well with him.

I did not have a chance to listen to the game or see the stream if there was one but I did read the article in the Post today. When I saw the rebounding imbalance I just assumed it was a misprint but apparently not. We are showing some very concerning trends.

1. We have been out rebounded in most of our games - this has to stop. They keep making such a bid deal about what RM wrote on the board and that CE kept doing it - "to win rebound and defend" - obviously this team has already forgot this guiding principle. JC better figure out a way to get their desire up to actually rebound - you lose the rebounding battle by 20 and you got little chance of winning most games.

2. Stats are for the whole game - you go 0-4 on FT at the end of a close game - that alone turns your FT shooting night into a disaster. DE had a big night - 21pts and 10 rebounds - but he missed FT and two bunnies late. We have no one who is crunch time dependable.

3. RL had an impressive drive at the end - thanks to SLU Fan for posting the video clip - but lets not forget that he missed the shot - yes I know it was blocked but he is 6'11" for goodness sake and a block still counts as a miss in the stats. MM clearly beat the clock but RL should have been able to score.

4. Another key scoring drought at the end - this nonsense has to stop. No excuse for that and why does it keep happening - lack of focus, timidness, choking - who knows but they all need to figure it out and quick. FT shooting at the end once again a problem and adds to the scoring drought issue.

5. Elbow to the head of RA - I thought it had to be deemed intentional for it to be flagrant - how they do not call a foul on that is mind blowing - I believe the rule says the player has to be in control of his elbows at all times.

6. I am glad for the road win and the fact that we are 2-0 at hostile places is a good sign but we have to start playing with more confidence for 40 minutes whether at home or away.

I have to agree with the no call. I heard the explanation from the refs and saw the play. RA dipped himself down by the defenders waist; so RA's head was pretty much at the guys waistline when RA made a move to get around his defender. The defender boxed him out and instead of boxing out RA on his waist or stomach his head happened to be there and the defenders elbow made contact with RAs head. This all happened in a split second.

I dont know what the official rule is, but when I saw the replay while RA was down I said the same thing that the refs came back and said. It wasn't anyones fault, it was just a bad accident.

Agreed. I thought the refs made the right decision.