Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some highlights from Kwamain's latest game in the Swiss Basketball League.  Kwamain plays for Fribourg Olympic, they are in white.  Some nice highlights here for Mitchell.  Mitchell finished the win with 16 points, 4 assists, and 3 steals.

Game highlights from Dwayne Evans latest game for the Ryukyu Golden Kings in a blowout victory over Hiroshima.  Evans had 14 points, 6 boards and 2 assists for 1st place Ryukyu.  Go to the 2 min mark for a monster slam from Dwayne.

54 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Game highlights from Dwayne Evans latest game for the Ryukyu Golden Kings in a blowout victory over Hiroshima.  Evans had 14 points, 6 boards and 2 assists for 1st place Ryukyu.  Go to the 2 min mark for a monster slam from Dwayne.

@thetorch, any clue what level of competition the Japanese league is that Evans is playing in? The arenas a lot of his highlights are in are pretty good size I've noticed. 

2 hours ago, crymdg2 said:

@thetorch, any clue what level of competition the Japanese league is that Evans is playing in? The arenas a lot of his highlights are in are pretty good size I've noticed. 

Japan has really stepped up the last few years to bring in high level import talent.  They now pay players up to a million a year and base pay for import players is well into 6 figures.  Average pay for imports is 200-400k.  Very competitive with any league in the world.

They lured Nick Fazekas to play there, he's been one of the best euro players for the past decade.  It is a very veteran league.  Their imports are pros, most have at a minimum 6-7 years of experience.  Justin Harper, Isaac Fotu, Perry Ellis, Josh Harrellson, Brice Johnson, are some players you might know.  There is a significant gap in ability between the Japanese players and the imports.  I would say their imports are better than Australia but the rest of the league is not.  I would think an average Aussie team should beat a Japanese team.

Hats off to Evans.  He's had the most stable and lucrative career overseas of any of the Majerus players.  

crymdg2 likes this

23 hours ago, thetorch said:

Japan has really stepped up the last few years to bring in high level import talent.  They now pay players up to a million a year and base pay for import players is well into 6 figures.  Average pay for imports is 200-400k.  Very competitive with any league in the world.

They lured Nick Fazekas to play there, he's been one of the best euro players for the past decade.  It is a very veteran league.  Their imports are pros, most have at a minimum 6-7 years of experience.  Justin Harper, Isaac Fotu, Perry Ellis, Josh Harrellson, Brice Johnson, are some players you might know.  There is a significant gap in ability between the Japanese players and the imports.  I would say their imports are better than Australia but the rest of the league is not.  I would think an average Aussie team should beat a Japanese team.

Hats off to Evans.  He's had the most stable and lucrative career overseas of any of the Majerus players.  

I was a huge Evans fan. I think he was one of the best Billikens in the last decade. 

3 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

More than Mitchell even? 

Mitchell has played in numerous backwater leagues, including the one he is in now.  He did play in the Russian VTB league.

Evans has made 3 stops, Bundesliga, Italy Serie A, and now Japan.  All 3 high profile, high paying leagues.  He's excelled everywhere he has gone and never been sent away or left a team midway through a season.  Plus he had to take a year off in between college and pro because of injuries.  He's made the most of his career and I would point at how he has navigated the pro ranks as an example to any current Billiken.

4 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Mitchell has played in numerous backwater leagues, including the one he is in now.  He did play in the Russian VTB league.

Evans has made 3 stops, Bundesliga, Italy Serie A, and now Japan.  All 3 high profile, high paying leagues.  He's excelled everywhere he has gone and never been sent away or left a team midway through a season.  Plus he had to take a year off in between college and pro because of injuries.  He's made the most of his career and I would point at how he has navigated the pro ranks as an example to any current Billiken.

Good deal.  I don't know much about the leagues, just seemed like Mitchell was always a top player wherever he went.

The House the Rick Built Podcast with Mitchell was good.  He talked about his post college injuries and had to be a janitor for a little bit.  Really glad it worked out for Dwayne.  He was my favorite player of the Majerus era.

18 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Where would you put Lisch and Conklin on that list? Lisch won MVP of the Aussie league.

• 2 weeks later...