Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

25 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Lavrio just got promoted to the Greek A1 Basketball league, the top tier in Greece.  He is going to make some decent money.  I am going to guess coming in as a rookie probably $70,000-$80,000 tax free for him. He isn’t getting rich, but not bad for 23.

Most of those guys have living arrangements paid for too, right?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

All while living in a beautiful European country with more tail than one has time for (or so I have been told by a few of our former players). Life could be worse.

Exactly, Lavrio actually ended up finishing second in this season after getting promoted.  So Has could be making a little more. Lavrio is on the Aegean and appears to be a pretty nice place to live.

BilliesBy40 and Reinert310 like this

Not sure if it’s the same guy, but there’s a Luis Santos on Puerto Rico’s Olympic qualifying roster. Listed as a 6’8” C.   Pure laziness on my part not to delve further, but I’d guess that it’s him. 

not sure if any other Bills potentially going to the Olympics. New Zealand pulled out of qualifying so I’d imagine they’re out (Loe usually makes their roster). 

On 6/26/2021 at 4:09 PM, brianstl said:

Exactly, Lavrio actually ended up finishing second in this season after getting promoted.  So Has could be making a little more. Lavrio is on the Aegean and appears to be a pretty nice place to live.

Here is something I do not understand, how does a city of 7,000 people in Greece have a sports team? Have a professional basketball team? If so, why doesn’t Springfield, MO, what about St. Louis? Is it just that college basketball saturates the market so much that a pro team cannot survive? If so, how is the NCAA allowed to exist?

FYI, barstool sports has an Austin McBroom story on it.

I wish he would have never played for SLU.

50 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Here is something I do not understand, how does a city of 7,000 people in Greece have a sports team? Have a professional basketball team? If so, why doesn’t Springfield, MO, what about St. Louis? Is it just that college basketball saturates the market so much that a pro team cannot survive? If so, how is the NCAA allowed to exist?

They are sponsored, and in some cases owned by the main sponsor. They also draw less fans than some local high school teams. For example, Lavrio’s arena seats 1,700.

11 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

They are sponsored, and in some cases owned by the main sponsor. They also draw less fans than some local high school teams. For example, Lavrio’s arena seats 1,700.

That really does not matter, as long as he gets to play, gets a name in Europe and the European leagues and keeps his nose out of the water. If he is going to live in a little town in Greece he should read Kanzastakis "Zorba the Greek" before he gets there. Small town life in Greece is not like it is in Athens or the big cities, and yes I know the book is an old book but traditions die slowly in rural areas.

On 6/26/2021 at 4:22 PM, brianstl said:

Lavrio just got promoted to the Greek A1 Basketball league, the top tier in Greece.  He is going to make some decent money.  I am going to guess coming in as a rookie probably $70,000-$80,000 tax free for him. He isn’t getting rich, but not bad for 23.

I think Federal income tax would still apply. But the sheer cheapness of rural Greece should help. 

9 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Not sure if it’s the same guy, but there’s a Luis Santos on Puerto Rico’s Olympic qualifying roster. Listed as a 6’8” C.   Pure laziness on my part not to delve further, but I’d guess that it’s him. 

not sure if any other Bills potentially going to the Olympics. New Zealand pulled out of qualifying so I’d imagine they’re out (Loe usually makes their roster). 

same guy

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Speyburn said:

They have 12 teams in the top league, with more teams in the lower leagues playing for promotion or relegation.

http://www.tindastoll.is/korfubolti/moya/news/korfuknattleiksdeild-tindastols-hefur-samid-vid-javon-bess

Uh could you translate the article for us MBM’s who are not fluent in Icelandic?

13 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

You mean no one else went out and got Babbel Icelandic when Ingvi Gudmundsson signed?

Lol

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Uh could you translate the article for us MBM’s who are not fluent in Icelandic?

If you're using Chrome as your browser it should give you a translate option.  This is what I get from the link in @Speyburn's post.  The word for word translation is a little rough, but you get the basic premise.

Tindastól's basketball division has signed with Javon Bess.

Tindastól's basketball division has agreed with the American Javon Bess to play with the team next season 2021-2022 Javon is a 25 year old striker (G / F) 198cm tall Javon played until 2019 with St. Louis University in the Atlantic 10 University Faculty which is a very strong 1 faculty faculty in the NCAA. Javon Bess participated in the 2019 NBA rookie selection but was not selected. The government hopes that Javon will arrive in the country in August, but never knows what the travel restrictions in the United States will affect as autumn approaches. The board is excited to see Javon play on the parquet in Síkin.

On 6/29/2021 at 8:57 PM, Old guy said:

That really does not matter, as long as he gets to play, gets a name in Europe and the European leagues and keeps his nose out of the water. If he is going to live in a little town in Greece he should read Kanzastakis "Zorba the Greek" before he gets there. Small town life in Greece is not like it is in Athens or the big cities, and yes I know the book is an old book but traditions die slowly in rural areas.

Keeps his nose out of the water but what about the ice cubes?

Can he have European ice cubes?

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

If you're using Chrome as your browser it should give you a translate option.  This is what I get from the link in @Speyburn's post.  The word for word translation is a little rough, but you get the basic premise.

Tindastól's basketball division has signed with Javon Bess.

Tindastól's basketball division has agreed with the American Javon Bess to play with the team next season 2021-2022 Javon is a 25 year old striker (G / F) 198cm tall Javon played until 2019 with St. Louis University in the Atlantic 10 University Faculty which is a very strong 1 faculty faculty in the NCAA. Javon Bess participated in the 2019 NBA rookie selection but was not selected. The government hopes that Javon will arrive in the country in August, but never knows what the travel restrictions in the United States will affect as autumn approaches. The board is excited to see Javon play on the parquet in Síkin.

I didn't know that Bess took up soccer.  He is now a striker.  Wonder if the USMNT needs him?

• 2 weeks later...