Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does any other country engage in American style football (what they call football elsewhere is what we call soccer)? I think French has a series of options at this time: 1. He goes and plays professional basketball somewhere. 2. He continues pursuing the football (American football) option any way he can, or 3. He can opt to play an extra year of college basketball or perhaps even football (?).

7 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Does any other country engage in American style football (what they call football elsewhere is what we call soccer)? I think French has a series of options at this time: 1. He goes and plays professional basketball somewhere. 2. He continues pursuing the football (American football) option any way he can, or 3. He can opt to play an extra year of college basketball or perhaps even football (?).

Not anymore, used to have a league in Germany.  Now its just NFL, and minor league leagues like XFL and spring league.

7 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I understand he could probably make more in the CFL or playing basketball overseas, but seeing French as the starting TE for the Battlehawks when the XFL returns would be pretty legit. 

21 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Has would look much better wearing the vaunted Silver & Black, protected by the swords and shield, as opposed to running around with a flaming thumbtack on his helmet ...

Viva Las Raiders!

my fave team  pre L A. would  be a good fatback then 4 sure

French probably has to do what Alie-Cox did, try to make a practice squad during the year and keep grinding. As a football fan, the videos of him were underwhelming other than his size. He needs more than a few months of training esp. on his footwork. That being said, he's a freak and a season of practice and training could get him on the field someday.

Old guy and BilliesBy40 like this

He's the perfect specimen for a pro TE, but the little techniques you learn in college FB are helpful. Even though the NFL coaches will basically tell those kids what they learned in college ball won't necessarily apply to the NFL. I think he's got the athleticism to cut it just not the experience. That plus there is no body of evidence that he was dominant in College FB. Going to be a hard road for Hasahn, but he's a competitor. 

I was working out at a boxing gym in Austin with Battlehawks OT Kent Perkins.  He was wearing a Battlehawks t-shirt so I asked him about it, large human being.  Are the Battlehawks coming back?  I'd be the # fan of my Home Boy Perkins and French.

Also need to continue that SLU NFL tradition.  Kids in NY still talking about the legend of Pat Leahy (I have about 20 Pat Leahy cards world's largest collection outside his mom's house).

16 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I was working out at a boxing gym in Austin with Battlehawks OT Kent Perkins.  He was wearing a Battlehawks t-shirt so I asked him about it, large human being.  Are the Battlehawks coming back?  I'd be the # fan of my Home Boy Perkins and French.

Also need to continue that SLU NFL tradition.  Kids in NY still talking about the legend of Pat Leahy (I have about 20 Pat Leahy cards world's largest collection outside his mom's house).

The Rock bought the XFL with partners. I think they were trying to bring it back in ‘22 or ‘23. Now, whether that actually happens or not is anyone’s guess. But if the XFL does come back, I’d be shocked if STL doesn’t have a team. The Battlehawks had the highest attendance in the XFL and I don’t think it was particularly close. The market is there, the fans are there, and never underestimate St. Louisans motivation to throw a big middle finger up at Stan Kroenke.

I was reading an article about the USFL is going play again in the spring.

I do not remember what year it was supposed to start.

On 6/18/2021 at 3:42 PM, Bay Area Billiken said:

Has would look much better wearing the vaunted Silver & Black, protected by the swords and shield, as opposed to running around with a flaming thumbtack on his helmet ...

Viva Las Raiders!

Just win, baby. Al Davis summed up what should be the competitive animal statement of the millennium in just three simple words. 

Queue up “The Autumn Wind is a Raider…”

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Leahy must be one of the highest  paid SLU student athletes in history and not in his sport! Perkins will  be too busy I hope.

55 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Just win, baby. Al Davis summed up what should be the competitive animal statement of the millennium in just three simple words. 

Queue up “The Autumn Wind is a Raider…”

How does it feel to know you’re playing for the wild card for the next 15 years?

11 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

How does it feel to know you’re playing for the wild card for the next 15 years?

I dunno. It’s NFL football. Injuries happen. A lot. But if the Chargers could eventually get Herbert some help, they might challenge KC in the not too distant future. 

Littlebill likes this

16 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I dunno. It’s NFL football. Injuries happen. A lot. But if the Chargers could eventually get Herbert some help, they might challenge KC in the not too distant future. 

Chargers problem has been injuries, not a lack of talent. Herbert is a stud, but I worry they pissed away his years on a rookie deal by hiring an inexperienced defensive-minded head coach.

On 6/15/2021 at 10:11 AM, brianstl said:

Madani Diarra has transferred from Eastern Illinois to Indian Hills CC. 

Looks like EIU hired former Evansville coach Marty Simmons at the end of March. Maybe Madani's departure is some associated house cleaning. He averaged almost 13 minutes last season, which seems decent and makes me a little surprised by this move. Oh well. 

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

What was the name of the team Javon Bess played for in the TBT?  I don't see it listed in the just-released bracket.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31658808/tbt-2021-know-every-team-64-team-bracket

Big X - it was a team of former Big Ten players. 

Lavrio just got promoted to the Greek A1 Basketball league, the top tier in Greece.  He is going to make some decent money.  I am going to guess coming in as a rookie probably $70,000-$80,000 tax free for him. He isn’t getting rich, but not bad for 23.