Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Old guy said:

A10 Ref, from Hassahn's point of view this would be a Godsent gift to him. I hope he gets drafted.

would be an absolute godsent gift.... I would love for it to happen for him. Given draft has already occurred - his best chance is getting invited to preseason.

Several guys have done this in the past decade.  It he has patience, as it may take him a couple seasons to get into a lineup French could be a real success.  Gonzalez, Gates, Fells, Graham, Julius Thomas, Rico Gathers, Mo Allie Cox, have all fairly recently made leap from Basketball star to NFL TE.

1 hour ago, A10Ref said:

Antonio Gates who played basketball at Kent State? He's the poster child of this jump from college basketball to NFL stardom (Future Pro Football HOFer - 8x pro bowler 5x all pro). Alie-Cox just signed a 1 year $3.4m contract, which I would assume is more than most people would expect in a solid career overseas. Would love to see a Billiken playing in the NBA, but I'll take NFL as a nice consolation prize any day.

You’re missing the OG of this, former Indianapolis Colt stud Marcus Pollard. 

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Gonzales was an All-American playing football in college.

Yep. And Gates was originally at Michigan State and Saban pressured him to only play football (which is why he transferred to Eastern Michigan before ending up at Kent State). The basketball-to-football story is extremely overblown with both guys. The reality is most guys without a legit football background at some point before the pros never make the 53. French is facing an uphill battle, but I like his chances.

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

Dallas would be dream.  The heir to Novacek and Witten and (I  still can't get over it Jackie Smith)

He must be the sickest man in America still! That’s one of the all-time super bowl calls. Staubach put it right in his bread basket. Verne Lundquist on the airwaves…

It appears that French is not just meeting with the Titans, but has signed some kind of contract with the Titans and is taking part in the Titans full team minicamp as a tryout.

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/gm-report/tennessee-titans-nfl-minicamp-hasahn-french-tryout

As much as i hate the nfl, i believe football suits french's physical self and skills and seems like this would be a wonderful opportunity.   His weakness would be a lack of football experience and knowledge but knowing his work ethic, he'd quickly close those gaps.   Count me thrilled he is getting this chance.   I promise to give football another chance and will become his biggest fan

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

As much as i hate the nfl, i believe football suits french's physical self and skills and seems like this would be a wonderful opportunity.   His weakness would be a lack of football experience and knowledge but knowing his work ethic, he'd quickly close those gaps.   Count me thrilled he is getting this chance.   I promise to give football another chance and will become his biggest fan

Agreed. Even without the experience in football, all of French’s best qualities on the court (athleticism, physicality, good footwork for a bigger guy) should translate very well as a tight end. I think with the right development he could see some NFL playing time. 

I would not try to guess whether French will make it or not. I do know that this is a wonderful opportunity for French and that he will do all he can to make it work for him. It is up to the Titans to decide if they want him or not.