Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

McCall not only contributed immediately, he was our leading scorer as a freshman.  He had already demonstrated his value by his sophomore year.  C'mon man.

He led in scoring in a terrible year where we were playing mostly freshman with Mitchell, Ellis, Conklin Reed hurt or out.  Still got him benched a game his sophomore season.  McCall refused to play defense until about 5 games left his sophomore year.  Majerus stayed with him.

Explain Kyle Cassity?  He barely played his freshman year.  Walk ons were playing over him.  He stayed.

Tell me who were these mythical guards that were 8th and 9th in the rotation that Majerus ran off?

Here are the guards Majerus recruited to SLU

Mitchell, Cassity, Cotto, Salecich, Jordan, Reid, John, Jett, McCall, Barnett, Carter, McBroom

All of them at one time or another were 8th-9th guys except Mitchell.  No one was run off except Salecich.  Cotto quit, Majerus wanted him to stay.  Jordan was booted because of the situation just like Jon Smith.  Jordan sans the situation stays on this squad and would have been good along with Smith. Reid got hurt as did John.

If anything Majerus recruited for the 8th and 9th spot.  He liked decent shooting, over achievers who he could mold into better players.  He loved guys who sat on the bench for a year or two and then really knew his system.

C'mon man.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, thetorch said:

He led in scoring in a terrible year where we were playing mostly freshman with Mitchell, Ellis, Conklin Reed hurt or out.  Still got him benched a game his sophomore season.  McCall refused to play defense until about 5 games left his sophomore year.  Majerus stayed with him.

Explain Kyle Cassity?  He barely played his freshman year.  Walk ons were playing over him.  He stayed.

Tell me who were these mythical guards that were 8th and 9th in the rotation that Majerus ran off?

Here are the guards Majerus recruited to SLU

Mitchell, Cassity, Cotto, Salecich, Jordan, Reid, John, Jett, McCall, Barnett, Carter, McBroom

All of them at one time or another were 8th-9th guys except Mitchell.  No one was run off except Salecich.  Cotto quit, Majerus wanted him to stay.  Jordan was booted because of the situation just like Jon Smith.  Jordan sans the situation stays on this squad and would have been good along with Smith. Reid got hurt as did John.

If anything Majerus recruited for the 8th and 9th spot.  He liked decent shooting, over achievers who he could mold into better players.  He loved guys who sat on the bench for a year or two and then really knew his system.

C'mon man.

Not that it matters, but I thought Justin Jordan was run off (in April) to make room for either Jett or Loe BEFORE the situation happened.

14 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Not that it matters, but I thought Justin Jordan was run off (in April) to make room for either Jett or Loe BEFORE the situation happened.

I believe both Jordan and Smith had announced their intention to transfer before Situation 1 rolled through the campus.  That's why we were dismayed only about Mitchell and Reed.

47 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I believe both Jordan and Smith had announced their intention to transfer before Situation 1 rolled through the campus.  That's why we were dismayed only about Mitchell and Reed.

Timeline that I can cobble together based on news reports:

4/26/2010 - Justin Jordan transfer (per our old friend Nate Latsch at the now defunct BillikenReport - https://247sports.com/college/saint-louis/Article/SLU-Freshman-Guard-To-Transfer-104706430/_ Article mentions a logjam at guard and Jordan's season ending injury (which I had forgotten all about).  Those may have contributed to his transfer.

4/29/2010 - Jon Smith transfer (per old pal Tom Timmerman at the PD https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/moving-day-at-slu-jett-signs-smith-leaves/article_96bd8b73-e3e2-5f4e-9e89-f5226cc6fe20.html) "Smith was concerned about his potential lack of playing time"

5/1/2010 - Situation 1 occurred

I didn't find out which players were involved until much later.  I know some posters had inside info, but I'd imagine a lot of people were in the same boat as me.  As such, I wrongly assumed that the transfers were after the incident and the guys were transferring because of that.

Regardless, it is safe to say based on reports of how the incident unfolded that these two guys were bad news.  There may well have been other issues that we didn't know about and I don't fault Majerus for encouraging their transfers if that was the case.

Duff Man likes this

39 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-in the MOST BLUE FONT available, yes, let's keep giving life to this

Ahhhh, when you post in Robin’s Egg Blue you start getting really serious about your sarcasm!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

One of our Never Were's, Adonys Henriquez has drifted over to Spain after a time in the Dominican Pro League.  Last I saw he was averaging about 12 ppg in their LEB Gold League.  I think LEB is the second division league in Spain, after LIGA.

Ford said he might be the best shooter he ever recruited or some such hyperbole if memory serves.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, TRN said:

Cody and Maurice are spot on.  I don’t understand why our AD can’t get some apparel out there worth a sh*t.

As the biggest Billiken “gear head” on the planet I’ve been BEGGING for them to change things up with their merch licensing for at least a decade. Their view on merchandise completely stinks, they put 0 effort into having the most unique mascot branded on clothing and accessories. 

Both West Pine Bills and THTRB/Midtown madness have been trying to get Homefield and SLU together for vintage gear over the last 2 + years now. 

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

As the biggest Billiken “gear head” on the planet I’ve been BEGGING for them to change things up with their merch licensing for at least a decade. Their view on merchandise completely stinks, they put 0 effort into having the most unique mascot branded on clothing and accessories. 

Both West Pine Bills and THTRB/Midtown madness have been trying to get Homefield and SLU together for vintage gear over the last 2 + years now. 

always glass half-full on here, but I would expect some new apparel coming in the fall... Solid team returning, fans back in the stands, and not completely in the red from covid... Especially if slu runs on the usual higher ed Jul-Jun fiscal calendar. This year is probably the worst SLU's budget will be so it is not the time for a new merch effort, but I think the excitement for next year (stimulus packages, in person classes, fans in stands, etc) will change that.

32 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

always glass half-full on here, but I would expect some new apparel coming in the fall... Solid team returning, fans back in the stands, and not completely in the red from covid... Especially if slu runs on the usual higher ed Jul-Jun fiscal calendar. This year is probably the worst SLU's budget will be so it is not the time for a new merch effort, but I think the excitement for next year (stimulus packages, in person classes, fans in stands, etc) will change that.

I appreciate your glass half full outlook, but none of that will change the departments stance on merch. They refuse to partner with anyone on unique gear like Homefield or other companies like that. As far as I’m aware the licensing responsibilities in the department really fall to nobody. 

4 hours ago, A10Ref said:

I would think it would be the exact time.   It’s an investment.  

18 hours ago, Littlebill said:

image.png.0312a656d039549ebff3035d2d17018e.png

I will use this opportunity to let folks in on a mistake that I made that will hopefully prevent anyone else from making the same mistake. The last time someone posted something amusing from Grandy I searched for him on Instagram, went on his account, and sent my friends what I viewed as one of the more amusing photos. I am a no judgment type of guy, but unless you want the occasional photo of essentially nude black dudes in your Instagram search section, do not do that. The Instagram algorithm is hard at work on my account between attractive women hitting golf shots and black dudes hanging around the locker room. Good times.

Box and Won likes this