Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Rickma was dead when Chris May chose to give Crews the full time job (after his interim season) and then it was Chris May's decision again not to fire him after his first awful season once all the Majerus players graduated.

I know you hate Majerus, but I'm not sure you pin the Crews years on him.  Heck, Chris May could have overridden Majerus' choice (if Crews was really Majerus choice) and made Whitesell interim coach instead.

when crews got the permanent contract he was coming off national coach of the year and most on this board (not me) were demanding he be given the contract.   

so yes rickma was indeed dead when crews got the big contract, but it was indeed rickma that wanted crews to replace him.   unfortunately he had success and was an easy choice to be named the permanent head coach.   what was missed was the fact that rickma had did such a great job building and training that team, i am pretty sure my 91 year old mother could have won.   crews had nothing to do with it likely  they won in spite of his presense.   to ask the AD and the board to go against that wasnt going to happen.   

AGB91 and cgeldmacher like this

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

when crews got the permanent contract he was coming off national coach of the year and most on this board (not me) were demanding he be given the contract.   

so yes Coach Majerus was indeed dead when crews got the big contract, but it was indeed Coach Majerus that wanted crews to replace him.   unfortunately he had success and was an easy choice to be named the permanent head coach.   what was missed was the fact that Coach Majerus had did such a great job building and training that team, i am pretty sure my 91 year old mother could have won.   crews had nothing to do with it likely  they won in spite of his presense.   to ask the AD and the board to go against that wasnt going to happen.   

-where is the proof Coach Majerus wanted Crews to replace him? as if none is offered this goes into the category known on the Board as a roymur

Let's remember for a second that when Majerus decided he wanted Crews to be his replacement, Majerus was dying. There is a certain degree of confusion that creeps in towards the end of most people's lives, Majerus was no exception. Even if he indeed wanted Crews to replace him, this decision has to be considered as incorrect and caused by this terminal confusion I mentioned.

21 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Let's remember for a second that when Majerus decided he wanted Crews to be his replacement, Majerus was dying. There is a certain degree of confusion that creeps in towards the end of most people's lives, Majerus was no exception. Even if he indeed wanted Crews to replace him, this decision has to be considered as incorrect and caused by this terminal confusion I mentioned.

Jesus its too early on a Monday for a Majerus was a confused old man who couldn't make decisions take. Crews had a ton of success with Majerus' players but didn't recruit/keep a ton of new talent. It doesn't have to be anything more profound than that. Two good years/two bad years with Crews. That didn't make nor break our program and we've moved on to encouraging things. Let stop sh!tting on literal graves. 

35 minutes ago, Old guy said:

So now we're speculating about the intellectual capacity and agency of a dead coach?

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

-Coach Majerus didn't decide on his replacement

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

so yes rickma was indeed dead when crews got the big contract, but it was indeed rickma that wanted crews to replace him.   unfortunately he had success and was an easy choice to be named the permanent head coach.   what was missed was the fact that rickma had did such a great job building and training that team, i am pretty sure my 91 year old mother could have won.   crews had nothing to do with it likely  they won in spite of his presense.   to ask the AD and the board to go against that wasnt going to happen.   

I think we're in agreement on the bold part.  Where I disagree is the part in italics, I DO think the AD should have been knowledgeable enough to know the team was winning in spite of Crews especially given all of the Crews dislike coming from former players that is coming out after the fact.  The AD absolutely should have talked to the players after that interim season to get their opinion on Crews as a coach before hiring him full time.  Those were mostly veteran players (Kwam, Ellis, Jett, Evans, McCall, Loe) whose opinions should have had a lot of value to the AD.  Further, we didn't have any kind of stellar recruiting class to worry about losing if Crews wasn't retained (Crawford was the only player committed at that point).

It was understandable for MBM's to want Crews hired because we weren't privy to the thoughts & feelings of the actual players.  The AD should have been.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think we're in agreement on the bold part.  Where I disagree is the part in italics, I DO think the AD should have been knowledgeable enough to know the team was winning in spite of Crews especially given all of the Crews dislike coming from former players that is coming out after the fact.  The AD absolutely should have talked to the players after that interim season to get their opinion on Crews as a coach before hiring him full time.  Those were mostly veteran players (Kwam, Ellis, Jett, Evans, McCall, Loe) whose opinions should have had a lot of value to the AD.  Further, we didn't have any kind of stellar recruiting class to worry about losing if Crews wasn't retained (Crawford was the only player committed at that point).

It was understandable for MBM's to want Crews hired because we weren't privy to the thoughts & feelings of the actual players.  The AD should have been.

I would venture to guess some of the veteran players (kwam, ellis, loe, jett etc.) had higher opinions of Crews at the time than we do in hindsight. Those were winning teams that were really close and went through a lot. I doubt they would've pushed for Crews to be fired for a different assistant or outside hire.  

Secondly, I would bet May wanted to keep Crews (in part) to keep some consistency in the program. Is there a chance one of Jett/McCall/Evans/Loe transfers if Crews isn't retained? I doubt it, but no one would've blamed them for trying to take their talents to a bigger program for a year.  

16 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

I would venture to guess some of the veteran players (kwam, ellis, loe, jett etc.) had higher opinions of Crews at the time than we do in hindsight. Those were winning teams that were really close and went through a lot. I doubt they would've pushed for Crews to be fired for a different assistant or outside hire.  

Secondly, I would bet May wanted to keep Crews (in part) to keep some consistency in the program. Is there a chance one of Jett/McCall/Evans/Loe transfers if Crews isn't retained? I doubt it, but no one would've blamed them for trying to take their talents to a bigger program for a year.  

When Evans was on the Rick built pod, he hinted that the whole team was surprised that the replacement was Crews and not Whitesell. I don't think those guys hold a lot of respect for Crews (probably more than us), just based on how they've talked on that pod. Crawford did somehting similar

Box and Won and RUBillsFan like this

12 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

When Evans was on the Rick built pod, he hinted that the whole team was surprised that the replacement was Crews and not Whitesell. I don't think those guys hold a lot of respect for Crews (probably more than us), just based on how they've talked on that pod. Crawford did somehting similar

I think that's fair. I just meant to say that opinions on Crews have soured over the years (rightfully so). Many still active posters on this board supported the Crews hire (or atleast were cautiously optimistic). Wasn't any discussion of Whitesell taking over. 
image.thumb.png.ccf385c230fa057879b138a9c45c1881.pngimage.thumb.png.6ea51ee0de94e8dc92885b6e85ac4333.png

image.thumb.png.8f91b6df1228d6436d4a8bae458726c8.png

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

This is spot on Roy good post.

I was torn on the decision, how do they not sign the coach of the year that was recommended by a coaching legend?

However coach Crews past coaching record was horrible and that might show up after coach Majerus players graduated and it did.

I cannot say bad decision on May because had Crews gotten picked up by another program and was successful then the knives would be out for May for that decision.

Does anyone know if SLU missed out on a coach when that decision for signing Crews made?

One of the points of the question above is if Crews was not signed coach Ford would not be the coach for SLU today.  I was wrong about the coach Ford signing he has exceeded my expectations and I love his enthusiasm and charisma.  I believe coach Ford will get our team to the sweet 16.

I think it's actually worse than the idea that he might have been picked up by another program and done well.  If you don't sign the National COY when he's already coaching your team, no matter how well the next coach does, the fans will always believe that the guy we already had that was National COY would have done better.  It would have been career suicide for May to not give the job to Crews.

CBFan and MusicCityBilliken like this

23 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think it's actually worse than the idea that he might have been picked up by another program and done well.  If you don't sign the National COY when he's already coaching your team, no matter how well the next coach does, the fans will always believe that the guy we already had that was National COY would have done better.  It would have been career suicide for May to not give the job to Crews.

If you don’t sign him it would also be used against you.

What if they were fighting for a coach with another school. The other school would definitely use that against The Bills.

”You’re thinking about coaching Saint Louis U? Do you like job security? They just let go the national coach of the year. what will they do to you if you have a bad year”

The extension was a disaster but they were kind of caught between a rock and a hard place.

Look, everybody gave Crews the POY out of respect for RM and sentiment.  May could have made a viable case for not hiring Crews based on his past performance - he could have given him a two year contract to see if it would work out instead of a 5 year one - Crews was not going anywhere except home if he was not hired.  Sorry I never bought the POY thing as a reason to hire the wrong person.  When RM tagged Crews he was at home doing nothing and was not keen on returning.  He insisted on not doing any recruiting and on a high salary than what SLU offered.  RM paid the difference out of his pocket and agreed to the no recruiting except for local visits.  RM was over the barrel - I personally never understood why he brought him back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Bishop is declaring for NBA draft. Somehow still has one year of eligibility left.

Interesting.

i know he had an Ok year but does he have any shot of being drafted.

Im guessing he will not hire an agent and pull his name but is the NBA a real possibility for him?