Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755?i=1000460735767
I’m going to do a shameless plug here but only because Jeff Harris has such amazing interview. He was hilarious, a great storyteller and his candor was unbelievable. Please go listen if you haven’t. He carved out 2+ hours out of his life to tell unreal Billiken stories that even the die hard blue hairs might have never heard. You can find it on Spotify too if you’re not an Apple user.

Pistol and NextYearBill like this

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755?i=1000460735767
I’m going to do a shameless plug here but only because Jeff Harris has such amazing interview. He was hilarious, a great storyteller and his candor was unbelievable. Please go listen if you haven’t. He carved out 2+ hours out of his life to tell unreal Billiken stories that even the die hard blue hairs might have never heard. You can find it on Spotify too if you’re not an Apple user.

I highly recommend this.

crymdg2 likes this

48 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Not a basketball alumnus, but Brian McBride named new GM (not head coach) of USMNT. Not educated enough to comment on if its a good hire, but really cool a SLU alum is heading the USMNT.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4030657/ex-united-states-star-brian-mcbride-named-usmnt-general-manager

That's awesome him and Kasey Keller ( my dog is named Keller ) are my all time Fav's. I remember SLUballs making fun of me because I wore my McBride USMNT jersey to a SLU game where Brian came back and got him to autograph it. 

Willie Reed was released from Olympiacos for 'disciplinary reasons' after only 11 games.  Really curious to see where he ends up next.

To this day, I always think about what could've been with him.  Passing up on that ~$15M contract is something I can't even fathom.

Also, check out the Uni.

7a6b8634-reed-olympiacos-zalgiris-625x375.jpg

1 hour ago, philliken said:

Willie Reed was released from Olympiacos for 'disciplinary reasons' after only 11 games.  Really curious to see where he ends up next.

To this day, I always think about what could've been with him.  Passing up on that ~$15M contract is something I can't even fathom.

Also, check out the Uni.

Willie still can't seem to get out of his own way.  Water is wet.

Willie was being represented by a con man agent who'd been fired from his agency at the time he turned down that deal...

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-willie-reed-lost-out-on-15m-contract-with-heat-due-to-uncertified-agent/

and then he got arrested for a domestic violence beef...which as far as fringe players go, teams would just assume not employ a bench player with a history of domestic violence arrests...

and that's on top of the whole evolution of the league and extinction of the traditional center (who doesn't have an outside shot)

He defied the odds to get to the NBA and then he managed lose it more quickly than really should have been possible.

57 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Willie was being represented by a con man agent who'd been fired from his agency at the time he turned down that deal...

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-willie-reed-lost-out-on-15m-contract-with-heat-due-to-uncertified-agent/

and then he got arrested for a domestic violence beef...which as far as fringe players go, teams would just assume not employ a bench player with a history of domestic violence arrests...

and that's on top of the whole evolution of the league and extinction of the traditional center (who doesn't have an outside shot)

He defied the odds to get to the NBA and then he managed lose it more quickly than really should have been possible.

The only reason he isn't in the league the past 2 seasons is that domestic violence arrest and league suspension.  Still he gets a contract with one of the best teams outside of the NBA in the world and still throws it away.

• 2 weeks later...

Jermaine Bishop continues to play well for Norfolk State. Scored 20 vs. FAMU on 8-12 shooting, 4-6 from the arc in a 95-67 win. Caught a little bit of it and his 3 pt. stroke was money. That silky smooth jumper was just nestling in the net. Hitting 40% from the arc for the season. We get a real shooter and some crazy 💩 happens.

HoosierPal likes this

43 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Jermaine Bishop continues to play well for Norfolk State. Scored 20 vs. FAMU on 8-12 shooting, 4-6 from the arc in a 95-67 win. Caught a little bit of it and his 3 pt. stroke was money. That silky smooth jumper was just nestling in the net. Hitting 40% from the arc for the season. We get a real shooter and some crazy 💩 happens.

I watched some of that game also....man is FL A&M bad.  Bishop looked very good.  He would have been a senior on last season's team, had he had an uneventful career at SLU.  We certainly could have used him, but who would we NOT have had?  You never know.  Would Isabell still come here?  What about Wiley?  Gudmundsson?   We were at 13 schollies at the start of school.  Could've, would've, should've.

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I watched some of that game also....man is FL A&M bad.  Bishop looked very good.  He would have been a senior on last season's team, had he had an uneventful career at SLU.  We certainly could have used him, but who would we NOT have had?  You never know.  Would Isabell still come here?  What about Wiley?  Gudmundsson?   We were at 13 schollies at the start of school.  Could've, would've, should've.

He got a medical redshirt for the 16-17 season so I believe this would be his Sr. year. Because of his injury and suspension, he basically missed the middle three of five seasons as he played only 9 games before his injury in his second season.

HoosierPal likes this

On 1/16/2020 at 12:04 PM, philliken said:

Also, check out the Uni.

7a6b8634-reed-olympiacos-zalgiris-625x375.jpg

This short article doesn't mention anything about disciplinary reasons.

https://sportando.basketball/en/olympiacos-willie-reed-part-ways/

But, he's been welcomed back to the G League.

https://saltlakecity.gleague.nba.com/news/stars-welcome-back-willie-reed/

3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Because what we need is another guy who can't shoot (31% from 3 against much worse comp and in a much worse team) and can't defend (unless he's improved dramatically)

I'd be happy if a 6'-7' 32% 3 point shooter and 82% FT shooter joined our team. Would bet his shooting % would go up on a team where he isn't asked to be the primary scorer. He was a good (almost great) catch and shoot guy for 2 years with us.  

TheChosenOne likes this

5 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

I'd be happy if a 6'-7' 32% 3 point shooter and 82% FT shooter joined our team. Would bet his shooting % would go up on a team where he isn't asked to be the primary scorer. He was a good (almost great) catch and shoot guy for 2 years with us.  

This. It doesn’t really tell the whole story to just say that he’s doing x numbers against lesser competition when he’s clearing being relied on to produce x numbers. He would help extend defenses and open up room for our bigs, something we have realized we can’t have enough of