Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/7/2019 at 11:48 AM, Old guy said:

Congratulations to Jermaine Bishop, he just got a good break. All the best.

Sorry I missed this info on Jermaine back in August. He got a raw deal and I’ll be pulling for him and his Norfolk State Spartans.

SLU_Lax likes this

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

What questions would you have for Dwayne Evans? 

Thoughts on Crews and his thoughts on his transition from Junior to Senior year (where he was asked to play the 4 more due to Ellis graduating.

11 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

What questions would you have for Dwayne Evans? 

• His mindset going into that NCAA game against New Mexico State and 7'5" 360lbs Sim Bhullar and just general stories about that game.  It was so funny watching Dwayne dominate a guy who had a foot in height and over 100lbs on him.
  • Thoughts on the wild comeback against NC State the following year in the NCAA tournament.  He fouled out of the game with about 2 mins left and the Bills down 7, but maybe has an interesting take watching the final minutes of the comeback from the bench.  He actually only had 1 foul with 2:32 left in the game, but picked up four fouls in 39 seconds of game time as the Bills were hacking to get back into it.
  • Moving off ball / sealing the paint to allow Jordair to drive to the hoop
  • Did he do anything specific to improve his FT shooting from 60% his freshman year to almost 77% his junior year?  
  • I'll second getting his thoughts on Crews.  Our opinion is that those guys largely coached themselves or just ran with what they had learned from Majerus.  Interesting to hear the actual story from them.
  • It may take some balls to ask and may piss him off, so I understand not asking, but I'll also second his getting his take on McBroom's social media fame and recent scandals.
Zink likes this

you better ask your other questions first, because if i was evans, once you mention mcbrooms name, i'd get up and leave.  

Ask about Evans view of the Conklin screen. He started that whole thing by getting run over by a Washington player.

Also Evans great dunk against VCU.

Get some takes on playing in Bundesliga, lifestyle, pay, travel etc.

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:
  • His mindset going into that NCAA game against New Mexico State and 7'5" 360lbs Sim Bhullar and just general stories about that game.  It was so funny watching Dwayne dominate a guy who had a foot in height and over 100lbs on him.
  • Thoughts on the wild comeback against NC State the following year in the NCAA tournament.  He fouled out of the game with about 2 mins left and the Bills down 7, but maybe has an interesting take watching the final minutes of the comeback from the bench.  He actually only had 1 foul with 2:32 left in the game, but picked up four fouls in 39 seconds of game time as the Bills were hacking to get back into it.
  • Moving off ball / sealing the paint to allow Jordair to drive to the hoop
  • Did he do anything specific to improve his FT shooting from 60% his freshman year to almost 77% his junior year?  
  • I'll second getting his thoughts on Crews.  Our opinion is that those guys largely coached themselves or just ran with what they had learned from Majerus.  Interesting to hear the actual story from them.
  • It may take some balls to ask and may piss him off, so I understand not asking, but I'll also second his getting his take on McBroom's social media fame and recent scandals.

Thank you for the great questions!

Love the Sim Bhullar questions.

I will say we covered the Crews transition in Crawfords episode. If you haven't, definitely check it out. It will be interesting to get DE's perspective.

SLU_Nick likes this

33 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Thank you for the great questions!

I will say we covered the Crews transition in Crawfords episode. If you haven't, definitely check it out. It will be interesting to get DE's perspective.

I'm generally fascinated by Majerus, so I would be interested in hearing from him what it was like playing for Rick. Also, that experience of being thrown into the fire his freshman season with the Situation that kind of derailed the season right when things kicked off and forced guys into significant roles regardless of whether they were ready (and he obviously was).

I am also really interested in hearing about what life is like for these guys playing overseas, I saw that item mentioned above.

I am not in media at all, but one thing I noticed with one of your interviews (with Kyle maybe) was that his memory of specific games was not great in the moment, so to the extent you are going to ask Dwight about specific games (or even teammates/coaches to the extent you are looking for good stories) maybe send him that ahead of time so he can give it some thought before hand.

One kind of dumb one off media guide type question that for some reason I find myself being interested in is the best player you have ever played against. Or maybe the toughest environment that you played in.

I really enjoy what you guys are doing, keep up the good work.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Sim Bhullar is probably one of my favorite all time Billiken opponents.  The name, the height/weight, the lack of skill / oafishness, the fact that Dwayne just took whatever Sim gave him that game* - all are absolutely fantastic.  There are other opponents that you love to hate - Stanley Burrell, Tyler Relph, etc, but that's a different category altogether.  Bhullar just reminded me of the giant kid in 4th grade who is taller/bigger than everyone else, but has no skill.  I'm pretty sure he pulled off the patented giant kid move of "missing multiple point blank shots and continually getting your own rebound without jumping while a defender tries in vain to box your giant ass out" a couple of times during the game.

* -  If Sim stayed close to the basket Dwayne just popped a basically uncontested jumper the from FT line and usually made it.  If Sim came out to contest that shot, Dwayne blew right by him or effectively sealed him off to post-up / score at the rim or allow his teammate (Jordair) to get to the hole without an ogre in his way.  It was fun watching the cat & mouse game and basically knowing Dwayne was going to take advantage every time.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I'm generally fascinated by Majerus, so I would be interested in hearing from him what it was like playing for Rick. Also, that experience of being thrown into the fire his freshman season with the Situation that kind of derailed the season right when things kicked off and forced guys into significant roles regardless of whether they were ready (and he obviously was).

I am also really interested in hearing about what life is like for these guys playing overseas, I saw that item mentioned above.

I am not in media at all, but one thing I noticed with one of your interviews (with Kyle maybe) was that his memory of specific games was not great in the moment, so to the extent you are going to ask Dwight about specific games (or even teammates/coaches to the extent you are looking for good stories) maybe send him that ahead of time so he can give it some thought before hand.

One kind of dumb one off media guide type question that for some reason I find myself being interested in is the best player you have ever played against. Or maybe the toughest environment that you played in.

I really enjoy what you guys are doing, keep up the good work.

Thank you! We usually send over a list of topics ahead of time. Not sure if we did or not with Kyle. 

19 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

What year was that dunk? 

It was in 2014, his senior year. Big game against VCU, on ESPN with Bobby Knight on the broadcast. During the first half, SLU went on a run to take the lead, culminated by a dunk by Evans. He got the ball on the wing or the corner and drove to the hole for the dunk. 

I think that moment was the loudest I’ve heard Chaifetz Arena get. 

BuiltFordBills likes this

On 10/29/2019 at 3:37 PM, RUBillsFan said:

If Danny Brown ain't get his scooter back, then Dwayne Evans ain't get his scooter back.

Simple as that.