Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure I recall Larry Hughes doing that once in a sold out game at the Scott trade against a not that good Louisville team. Things have changed a bit since then.

If I recall correctly, Larry scored only 7 points that game, and I think that was his only single-digit scoring game at SLU. Also, he finished the play with a resounding two-handed dunk, unlike the players in Jett's Vine. Yes, Louisville was very different then (was Crum still the coach).

But to bring it back to current. When they faced Kentucky (coach by Pitino, I think) in the Round of 32, they made it difficult even for the Legend. LIttle has changed.

If I recall correctly, Larry scored only 7 points that game, and I think that was his only single-digit scoring game at SLU. Also, he finished the play with a resounding two-handed dunk, unlike the players in Jett's Vine. Yes, Louisville was very different then (was Crum still the coach).

But to bring it back to current. When they faced Kentucky (coach by Pitino, I think) in the Round of 32, they made it difficult even for the Legend. LIttle has changed.

Larry did that against UK in the NCAA tourney. He threw the ball off Scott Padgett's back.

Now that the Tatum ship has sailed, I'm pretty comfortable saying without question Brian Conklin is the former SLU player I'd most like to be a future head coach.

I'm sure his playing career is not over....but YES

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Conklin and family is back in Oregon. Still trying to get his money from Townsville. Need to get him back to Chaifetz for a night if he is not going to play somewhere this season.

#BringConklinBack2Chaifetz

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/axed-nbl-star-brian-conklin-seeking-closure-over-contract-talks/story-fnjfzr2z-1227643732579

• 3 months later...

http://www.hawks.com.au/featured-news/kevin-lisch/

It is with great disappointment that the Illawarra Hawks this afternoon announce that Kevin Lisch has turned down a contract extension with the club and is set to join a rival NBL team.

Lisch arrived at the Hawks at the beginning of last season to rejoin former Head Coach and close friend Rob Beveridge, but not even the re-signing of Beveridge for a further 4 years could stop Lisch from pursuing the lure of a lucrative offer from one of the Hawks fiercest rivals.

Hawks General Manager Kim Welch says its naturally disappointing to lose a player of Lischs ability.

Naturally you are disappointed and of course it hurts but Kevin has made his decision and well move on.

"I can assure you that we will recruit well, and retain as many key players as possible so that we can continue to deliver the style of basketball we all so thoroughly enjoyed last season"

With the new contracting and salary cap system now finalised the Hawks are expected to announce some major player re-signings early next week.

http://www.hawks.com.au/featured-news/kevin-lisch/

Turned on the TV when I was in Australia and was surprised to see Cody and Kevin playing. A player can do very well playing over seas - show me the money - good for Kevin.

Heard the other day that Kwam will likely be helping with the SLU basketball camps again this summer. Given that most former players move on to normal careers and lives after their time at the university is over, it's great that he's in a situation that allows him to come back and still be a part of Billiken athletics.

Turned on the TV when I was in Australia and was surprised to see Cody and Kevin playing. A player can do very well playing over seas - show me the money - good for Kevin.

I see in that article that Lisch became an Australian citizen. Sounds like he's really enjoying it down there. Who knows? If Trump is our next president, I might join him...

• 3 weeks later...

The German season is over and Dwayne Evans led the Trier Gladiators in scoring (15.7 ppg), rebounding (8.1 rpg), blocks (1.1 bpg), steals (1.4 spg), etc. Trier played in the Pro A (2nd level) and his team did not get promoted to the Bundesliga. So Dwayne got signed by Gießen 46ers in the Bundesliga. Good luck to Dwayne next season (fall).

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Dwayne-Evans/Summary/22525

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, ucan2 said:

Nice. And he's part of the 14-man roster for Olympic qualifying for the Tall Blacks. They have a pretty solid roster despite the absence of Steven Adams, who has never played for his national team.