GDT: Does this game count?

bonwich

From what I'm seeing on other schedules, playing a lower-division NCAA opponent mid-nonconference season is becoming increasingly common. And probably for the reasons kshoe points out- no fee, no RPI impact, etc.

I still don't like it.

I'd still rather play a D-I school. Yes, even though the lower-tier ones have roughly the same amount of name recognition.

These games just suck. Players don't get up for them. Fans don't get up for them. I just don't see how it makes us any better.

Agreed. While kshoe makes a lot of sense in his post, I'd still prefer to play Little Sisters of the Poor, D-1 edition, than Little Sisters of the Impoverished, Division 2 edition.

One of the things I think is the cause of this trend is that teams are no longer doing 2 exhibitions games, but rather 1 exhibition game and a closed door scrimmage. The downside to this is that you also need to have a certain number of home games to satisfy the season ticket holders, so they schedule a throw-away game during the middle of the season. In the end, we still have the same number of regular season games and "exhibition" games, but it still feels like a rip-off when its December and we have a glorified exhibition game that's billed as a regular season game.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, please bear in mind that I am not sure if this is correct or not, but I see our record being reported at 7-2 (the Rockhurst game included) in places like Team Rankings. I wonder if this takes us marginally over similar A10 teams with a 6-2 record, like VCU. Again I do not know if this is the case or not. I may be totally wrong. Any thoughts?

Takes us over VCU? I'm not sure what that means given we haven't played a conference game yet.

Conference rankings are based solely on your in-conference record. NCAA selection is based on your complete season (excluding D2 games like the ones we played last night).

I guess I'm alone, but the fact that Rockhurst is D-II or the game doesn't count for RPI purposes doesn't mean anything to me. Rockhurst, Bowling Green, Wofford, Illinois Springfield, etc. - none of these teams move the needle at all for me. I just go to the games to watch basketball and watch SLU. Losing to Wofford would be just as embarassing as losing to Rockhurst. It would actually be worse because it counts for the RPI.

If it was such a concern about pickup up bad habits by playing bad teams, then schools would not play the exhibition games against DII or DII opponents and schools would not schedule a bunch of non-conference cream puffs. However, they do. It is up to the coach to make sure players aren't picking up bad habits in any game. In a game like this if say McCall doesn't run the offense and instead just chucks up a quick shot, you yank his @ss so fast his head spins because you don't need your best players in the game in order to win.

+1.

I enjoyed the game. If I was the coach, I would very much welcome the opportunity to try some different combos given four new faces this year.