GDT: Does this game count?

bonwich

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MC seems to have some nice dribble penetration when he gets the ball.

Come on man!

I know a lot of people want to see the kid get more minutes but all he did was get the ball and pass it right back to a teammate.

The one time he put the ball on the floor, he drove to the baseline right into a double team and struggled to kick it back out.

Back from the game. It was pretty ugly, but after reading from through this game thread you would think SLU lost or it was really close. SLU won 68 - 45. If Crews had left the A team out there the entire time, it would have been more of a blowout, but he mixed guys in. I like him using this game to experiment with different lineup combinations even if it resulted in ugliness.

Sadly, unless we start hitting some outside shots in bunches or have much crisper ball movement, I think we are in for some really ugly games. Almost every team now is going to play a zone against us which generally mucks up and slows down the game. SLU is so good defensively that they will still win and even dominate games against these lesser opponents, but they will be really ugly because of the zone defense.

In both halves SLU held Rockhurst scoreless for almost the first 5 minutes. As usual feels like the refs were really awful, Rockhurst was basically grabbing and holding players on the inside of the zone on offense. It almost seemed like when Rockhurst was down 19 - 2 and had gotten a player injured (who tripped over his own feet on a semi-breakaway) the refs felt bad for them and decided to let them back in the game. There were multiple times that they would blatantly grab or push the player trying to receive an entry pass and then the no call would result in a turnover. A few times the ball clearly went out off a Rockhurst player, but they got the ball. Manning seems to be the unluckiest SOB when it comes to picking up cheap fouls. He doesn't do himself any favors by not moving his feet well, but it is kind of ridiculous that he gets called for the slightest contact.

Just back from the game. Usher woke me up, they're turning out the lights and locking up. Wish I could get my money back for this one. WHY do we play Rockhurst?

As far as firing someone, I wish they'd fire that tool of a PA announcer we have. TYLER Lancona THREE straight times. You really have to be a to not know your own team.

We are bad. Really, really,really bad.

I am scared to watch us against VCU or Umass.

Too bad that this stuff is on TV, if I was a new fan and had to watch this performance I probably would have switched the channel by now. Must be a good movie to watch somewhere.

there wont be a tournament. it kills me to say that too

These posts are awesome. It was an exhibition vs. Rockhurst. Seriously, an exhibition that happened to count in the win-loss column, and we won by 25. You use these games to throw just about every line-up out there and see if anything catches fire. I was just as frustrated watching Rock U's (nice jerseys) run in the first half but am not going to leap off a building. The only thing that bothered me was seeing JB out there for so many mins.

Haven't been able to watch any of the game. Is it as bad as it seems? I know when you play bad teams it takes you out of what you do but how does our performance do against a team like Valpo?

Ramsey and Earl Austin Jr seem down on McBroom handling the point and down on Jakes defense against such a weak opponent. Usually they know what they're talking about. Can anyone fill me in?

Rammer and Earl are down on Austin's post passing. He had a 5'11 guy at the top of the zone and rather than lob the pass to Loe or Dwayne, he tried to bounce pass it into the zone and had it stolen on two occasions. There was another entry bounce pass from a bad angle that went OB, but from the box score they must have charged the receiver with the turnover. That was on Austin though.

They also made the same comment earlier in the game regarding Rob's tendency to do the same thing. As far as Jake goes, he's a liability on D in nearly every situation.

The game was a snoozer but maybe the kids were just ready to get to their break. 4 games in 8 days is a lot. Zones have always been our bane - not just this year. We will see zones for 2 reasons - we do not shoot well from the perimeter and lesser opponents will need to play zone to keep up with us defensively. I am not going to get to upset about the game - it was a breather in a tough stretch of games and travel. We play this game because it was some kind of Jesuit Week thing - I think. On the way home Rammer and Austin were saying we will probably see more of TL as the year goes on - he does seem to have a better grasp of what to do then any of the other freshmen. MC - he looked intimidated - he seemed mechanical to me so I doubt he is the answer to the JB thing at least now. RA plays hard but he is simply out of control at times - he got 2 fouls in the first half in about 2 minutes. JM - he is a foul machine - better today then the last time. He does not move his feet well at all as one said before so he is going to get the foul called against him every time. He still has his hands of stone - that will never improve. JB had a better night shooting but he really seems to be just frenetic out there. JC showed more emotion during this game then I have see before - he got upset with the refs on a ball knocked off of Rockhurst out of bounds that should have been ours but was not awarded and he got on some of the players who made mistakes - not a lot but at least some. Something I noticed about our bunnies - we do not consistently use the back board - everybody is trying to do the finger roll thing - if we would use the back board more on those shots we should improve on those but I would assume the coaches are trying to teach proper technique. Hopefully they will be ready for Valpo - a loss on the road would be terrible. One last thing - AM is our only reliable shooter - he needs to play more.

Seriously, when I made my post about this game being on TV, our starting five where in the game and they had missed five or six straight shots. You would have thought they were the Division 2 team. They did the same thing only longer periods of time against Wisc. and WSU. It is no fun watching them do that.

Until they solve that problem they are going to be a disappointment. I want them to solve the problem!

First game I didn't listen to, watch, or otherwise track. We had some errands, made dinner, had some other stuff to do. I honestly forgot about it for a while. Looks like I didn't miss much.

Most important takeaway is that it's a meaningless game, so not to get too worked up about poor shooting or some of the rotations Crews experimented with. I'll put a lot more stock into what happens this Saturday at Valpo. Other thoughts based on recaps, stats, and your comments:

-Like Box says, we played worse against UI-Springfield, the 500th win Majerus didn't want to recognize.

-It'd be really nice for Barnett to find his shot in a game in which we need it.

-The poor shooting from Loe and McCall is discouraging. They've been a little off this season and we can't afford that any longer.

-If we're going to have the occasional off night from the FT line, I'm glad it's this one. We haven't been bad from the stripe this season so I'm not worried about that stat.

-The rebound stats should be taken at a discounted rate, like .75 or something like that.

-Not many fouls in this one; that tells me SLU wasn't playing at full tilt. Same could be said for the 13 turnovers- not a bad number against an A10 team, but probably could have capped that at 10 against a D-II squad, or at least forced more than 12 out of them.

Cheeseman, regarding your reference to MC, I agree that he looks intimidated. My question is why now and not earlier in the season? To some degree I have the same question with regard to TL and to a lesser degree RA. I know that Wis and WSU were much better than our early season rivals and Rockhurst, but that doesn't answer my above question.

As a long-time manager, I learned and utilized a performance system that rewarded good performance to build up the confidence of my workgroup. I have not seen that being done by JC and his staff. I wonder if MC and TL had been rewarded and encouraged after their outstanding early season games what would have happened to their confidence? Right now, as I watch them in their limited minutes I see two very tentative players, hesitant to take any action that could have a negative result, MC especially is playing like a deer caught in the headlights and TL is more than reluctant to take a 3-pt shot. It seems like the coaching staff did nothing to build upon their early season success, either in practice or in playing time. They were far more aggressive early in the season than they were against a D2 team, which I put on the coaches

Given the fact that MM and RL have seemingly lost their 3-pt shooting stroke, I think we needed to use these early games to build up the confidence of MC & TL so that they can shoot from the perimeter as well as when they reported to the 1st SLU BB practice this year. Unfortunately, I see a little Rich Grawer (pull the player if they make a mistake) in JC's handling of the freshmen. We know what we have with JB, JJ and AM from the outside-inconsistency at best and it is not going to get any better for the 2 seniors at this point in their careers. While I hope AM becomes more reliable from three, I think he needs to work on his PG skills more at this point than his shooting.

If this senior-dominated team can't pick up the pace then Free the Freshmen, because if anyone is satisfied with our performance at this point (other than the long departed Billikan and the Shoe brothers family) then you must have had extremely low expectations for the team coming into this year. What did all the pre-season mags and the pollsters know that we didn't?

I wish we would stop playing this game. If you want to make it a preseason game, fine, but it does more harm than good for the players. It's also worthless from a fan's perspective.

I'm curious why it "does more harm than good for the players" essentially all of these cream puff opponent non-conference game are just glorified practices. Crews coaches them differently and uses different lineups than he would use against good opponents, so he can get a feel for who does what best in a game situation. I don't see how giving the players a low pressure in-game learning experience is doing any harm.

As far as the worthless from a fan's perspective. No one has given me a good answer as to why this game is different than any other cream puff game except that Rockhurst is D-II. I bet most people don't even know some schools that are D-I or D-II, so I don't see why that matters. A cream puff is a cream puff whether you call the cream puff D-I or D-II. I go to the games to watch SLU. Most of the time I don't care about the opponent.

Here is a little exercise. Guess which of these schools are D-I and which are D-II without cheating:

1. Mercy College

2. Cal State University, Sacramento

3. Cal State University, San Bernardino

4. Virginia State University

5. University of Hartford

6. University of West Alabama

7. University of Tampa

8. Marist College

9. Northwestern State Universty

10. Northeastern State University