Student Tickets for Sunday??

gobillsgo

I hate people like the SLUnatics leader you are describing. Why would that POS get re-elected or whatever if he didn't do anything? I hope your brother does take things over.

Looks like it's my time to shine...I'll do my very best.

To the other students on here--I'd like to try to work with you guys to fix things in the student section. I think that you guys are a lot more dedicated and spirited than the leaders. I'm open to your advice and any other help. I want the SLUnatics to be a force to be reckoned with, the type of student section that opposing teams know is going to be loud and crazy. I think that real student input (as opposed to the opinions of 4-5 people) will go a long way to get more student participation and enthusiasm.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also the weekend in the middle of finals week. Some students have already left, and some probably will be cramming after procrastinating all semester. There's a reason why we don't play good game during finals; students wouldn't show up even if it was a good team and we would actually need the home court advantage in that case

It's also the weekend in the middle of finals week. Some students have already left, and some probably will be cramming after procrastinating all semester. There's a reason why we don't play good game during finals; students wouldn't show up even if it was a good team and we would actually need the home court advantage in that case

That's fine and true. But "it's only Wofford" is no excuse for your student section President and Vice President.

Don't expect much from the student section tonight. The 2 leaders won't be showing up tonight because "it's only Wofford". So glad they're in charge. I guess don't really expect much from the student section for the rest of the season with that mentality.

I'm on the SLUnatics board and it's been an extremely frustrating year in terms of getting students motivated. I cannot imagine that many students are going to be studying on a Saturday night. The lack of leadership from the "leaders" doesn't help. If the two leaders aren't motivated enough to show up against Wofford, then why would the average student?

Anyone have any ideas for how I can get things going? I know that a lot depends upon the success of our team, as well as the reputation of the opponent, but there has to be something that can be done. I'm open to pretty much any (reasonable) ideas.

I'm on the SLUnatics board and it's been an extremely frustrating year in terms of getting students motivated. I cannot imagine that many students are going to be studying on a Saturday night. The lack of leadership from the "leaders" doesn't help. If the two leaders aren't motivated enough to show up against Wofford, then why would the average student?

Anyone have any ideas for how I can get things going? I know that a lot depends upon the success of our team, as well as the reputation of the opponent, but there has to be something that can be done. I'm open to pretty much any (reasonable) ideas.

I think its pretty sad but honestly the most effective plan they've had is the pre game food events. You'd think we would be past that point but I guess not

Reaching out for ideas to boost student support and attendance and brainstorming is good. It is easy to put out feelers on this board, but may not be the best place to look for ideas. I would suggest trying to get in touch with "SLUnatic-type" groups at other Universities to see what they do to boost student engagement or if they have any ideas. Focusing on similar mid-sized private Universities would probably be a good idea. Looking at schools that do not have a great history of basketball success, but have a lot of student support would also be a good idea.

Step 1: Get rid of the damn balloons. The students get quiet and just play with the balloons when they get them. Someone needs to tell Chris May they don't even look good and besides a loud student section > student section that "looks good"

Step 1: Get rid of the damn balloons. The students get quiet and just play with the balloons when they get them. Someone needs to tell Chris May they don't even look good and besides a loud student section > student section that "looks good"

I was told this was an athletic department thing, that Slunatics doesn't really want them, but the AD keeps providing them.

I have never posted on here before, but been reading for awhile now. I can say, as a student, that most of us do not want balloons for the second half of games. I would hope students would come to games regardless of any promotion. But since that doesn't seem to be the case for middle to lower-tier opponents, the best option in the past seems to be food and drink specials. As sad as it is to say for a team that has won a game in the last 2 NCAA tourneys, SLU students aren't going to come out a lot until we are ranked again.

Reaching out for ideas to boost student support and attendance and brainstorming is good. It is easy to put out feelers on this board, but may not be the best place to look for ideas. I would suggest trying to get in touch with "SLUnatic-type" groups at other Universities to see what they do to boost student engagement or if they have any ideas. Focusing on similar mid-sized private Universities would probably be a good idea. Looking at schools that do not have a great history of basketball success, but have a lot of student support would also be a good idea.

I have never posted on here before, but been reading for awhile now. I can say, as a student, that most of us do not want balloons for the second half of games. I would hope students would come to games regardless of any promotion. But since that doesn't seem to be the case for middle to lower-tier opponents, the best option in the past seems to be food and drink specials. As sad as it is to say for a team that has won a game in the last 2 NCAA tourneys, SLU students aren't going to come out a lot until we are ranked again.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I like the idea of reaching out to other schools. I think that the biggest problem is the "casual fans"--the ones who don't really know anything about the team and only come out and make noise when we're ranked or playing a ranked a team. If other schools can get students to the games during subpar seasons, then we should definitely be able to get the student section packed seeing as we're coming off back-to-back tourney appearances and have another conference championship caliber team this year. It would be great to talk to other schools to find out their secret.

As for the balloons, we have wanted to get rid of them for a while now, but the athletic department just keeps providing them and asking us to blow them up. If it were up to me, we would never do them. We've talked to the athletic department before but theyre pretty insistent on doing them. The only hope at this point is that they realize that 99% of the balloons get thrown on the ground within 5 minutes of us handing them out.

Welcome to the board! My best advice for the students that are going to the game is to encourage all of your friends to go and then be as insane/crazy/fun during the games as possible to get everyone else riled up. Everyone seems to love costumes.

I too am new to the board, though I have been reading it for a while. It seems that many students just never seem to get excited for the games, though last year everyone jumped on the bandwagon after the big game against Butler.

The band has to carry the student section for practically every game (the slunatics usually stop leading cheers after about the first half, so we are the only ones left doing anything). There needs to be consistency by the slunatics in keeping the cheers going. Also, if there were more events to incentivize students going to the games, that would help

I would say that student section attendance has actually been pretty good this year, at least with the quality of opponents. The problem as always is getting them loud. And that's harder, especially when the games haven't been very good.

Gotta agree for the most part. The only game that really would get the average fan excited was Wichita St. and I thought the student section was pretty good considering it was a Sunday game at noon at the end of a break when a lot of students weren't back yet. I was in the front row so it was actually kind of hard to tell how loud the rest of the section was but we were loud up front.

We've seemed pretty tame for the most part the rest of the games. I imagine it will get better in A10 play next semester. Unfortunately I'll be in Madrid so I'll not be able to take part.